Going beyond basic rebuild.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dear Panthers,

Interesting. Like LTD, I would prefer to keep a suitable vehicle as long as possible and have more than 300K on my 89 CP.

Sometime in the next 100k I'll need to rebuild, replace or mod/replace the engine. Repairing and modifying one of these cars (I think that strategy is impossible with many newer cars) is less expensive than buying a comparable car new but . . . genuine improvements have been made in automobiles in the last 25 years and retrofitting an 89 is difficult, expensive and in some cases, impossible. Some mercedes have double glass side windows for insulation and sound deadening. Sound deadening is important on the long drives I make but dual glass windows can't be fit on my CP. Not to mention side cushion airbags, and state of the art suspension improvements integral to the body shell.

I can't afford a car that sits in the garage between car shows. I just don't know how far we can or ought to improve these old cars.

Donald

Comment

The biggest differance between the Modular engine possibly lasting longer than the pushrod Ford engines is the tollerances mostly. Every tolerance on the mod motors is quite a bit tighter and held to them better. Up to the date newer machinery on the engine assembly line helps.
      There were a few engines I was assigned to improve or investigate an issue. Once finding a solution the fix was turned down due to the engine was going out of production in a year or two. This didnt only effect pushrod motors.
      Atr one point I redesigned the push rod SBF into what would be a better engine. Of course it never got anywere it was just a project done on the side. Partly just to get a better handle on a new CAD system Ford had adopted. It would have made the new Chevy Vett motors look like turds.

Cyrogenics can help but money spent elsewere would help more in the quest for performance, economy, longeity. Finding a realy good machine shop is a start most are realy dedicated to rebuilding stock engines. I always double check there work. Some dont check there equipment such as checking accuracy of there mics and other measuring instrements. Discovering a reconditioned rod big end is over sized or bore is off a bit can hurt.
      Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

Originally posted by BerniniCaCO3 View Post
        hah, I'm jealous on that one! that's a steal.

And holy... that is one massive main. What does a DART built 302 run? (cost wise)

sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

The cryo treating is grossly overkill. If you want that sort of block stability, you want an aftermarket block to begin with. The stock casting was designed to get the job done reliably without making it too expensive to manufacture. It did that just fine, but it is not the penultimate in dimensional stability and machining tolerance. COnsider the roots of the 302 go back to the early 1960s and you get an appreciation of just how well it did it's job.

Also, something to consider, will the car last long enough for you to get 600k miles on that engine?
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

A swasoned block (used) is concidered by many as being more stable as stresses are relieved and has taken a set. Races would pick these blocks to machine over new ones because of this. Cyro treated is possibly better on new parts and is realy for high end racing were they would spend a grand just for 1 more HP.
            Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

Also, something to consider, will the car last long enough for you to get 600k miles on that engine?
              Rust is not an issue here so i dont see why not.
              Last edited by 90ltd; 08-05-2012, 05:05 PM.
              “Cars are the only thing on earth that will beat you, break you, make you bleed, make you cry, spend all your money, spend all your time, not work and not care that you will love more, the more they abuse you.” -Anonymous

Comment

Also i was thinking about ceramic coating for piston and combustion chambers. How much will it cost? How long will it last?
                “Cars are the only thing on earth that will beat you, break you, make you bleed, make you cry, spend all your money, spend all your time, not work and not care that you will love more, the more they abuse you.” -Anonymous

Comment

Originally posted by 90ltd View Post
                  I guess its just a wishfull thinking. On the other hand today i bought a zero hours ford racing crate 302 for grand total of $100. The seller explained to me that it was his grandpa's that deceased. Pics tomorrow.
                  sorry no pics yet on closer inspection its turned out to be d0-1970 block with hi-po heads (no thermactor bumps nor passages drilled in head) with dual valve springs and cast in valve seats.

Comment

Working...
                  X