Burning smell 88 Grand Marq. // & idle question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Burning smell 88 Grand Marq. // & idle question

Hello , I was on the freeway earlier and half way home I started smelling a somewhat strong burning plastic kind of smell I immediately pulled over but could not find any thing for the life of me smelled in the cab but I couldn't smell anything out side. Any ideas/ Experiences?

ALSO its been pretty cold around here and recently when I start the car it sounds fine and then after about 20 secs it will start sounding like its going to stall out a few times ( it did ONCE when it was 22 degrees out but it drives perfect and all.

Honestly I need general tips on everything ( gas, additives, ets.. ) Im trying to keep this thing healthy lol

Thanks guys I appreciate it

Check your ignition switch. It's under the steering column shroud. The original part would catch on fire and Ford issued a recall for it, so that may be the source of the burning plastic smell. If the part looks like it's splitting (plastic part from the metal-looking part) then replace it. It's an easy 5-10 minute fix and you can find the replacement part at any auto parts store.

Speaking of burning things, check the alternator plug for your car, especially if it's old and original looking. Those things will get old and cause fires. My old connector still has an awful burnt smell to it. Keep an eye out for connectors that look burnt up or frayed wiring.

1989 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series | 249k miles, current project car
    2018 BMW 430i xDrive M-Sport | 50k miles
    2018 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport | 97k miles

Comment

And this probably isn't relevant, but you should also check the throttle valve bushing. If it's cracked and brittle, replace it immediately with the brass bushing. When the original parts fails, the transmission overheats and all of a sudden you're driving a two-speed. It's worth it to check.

Comment

Where is the ignition switch located/ look like , I don't know a whole lot on cars yet im learning lol

On a side not I figured out that I only smell the plastic burning when at night/ early morning when I have the headlights on around the headlight nob.

Thoughts / comments ?

Thanks

Comment

Good clue...The headlight switch has been known to go bad.

87 Ford LTD Crown Victoria Country Squire Station Wagon. 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, Boxed LCA's, Explorer Intake, 65mm T-body, 'Stang Cam, 'Stang Air tube, K&N, GT-40X Heads, 1" Spacer, 1 5/8 BBK's, 2.5" Pypes X-pipe w/high flow cats, Single Chamber Thunderbolts, B&M 'vertor, Po-lice Swaybars.

91 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park Station Wagon. K-Code, 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, MK VII LSC Engine, 'Stang Upper Intake, Stang Air Tube, K&N, 65 mm T-Body, 'Stang Headers, 'Stang Cat Pipe,'Stang Torque Convertor, 2 Chamber Thunderbolts.

Comment

Ignition switch is on the right side of the steering column by the key cylinder when you take the plastic shroud off (philips head screws). It should be held in there with two torx bits and have the other end connected to a wiring harness. As long as the electrical connector doesn't look burnt or the plastic and metal halves haven't come apart, you're probably fine.
            Click image for larger version

Name:	5661-07043426-1201061.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	2.3 KB
ID:	1270482

Comment

Working...
            X