85 marquis 302 tbi no start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

85 marquis 302 tbi no start

Hi, the old marquis decided to up and not start the other day. I am not getting spark is my trouble. Its a canadian made car with the square coil and ICM on the distributor. I have so far replaced the coil and ICM as I thought that is about all that goes wrong. Boy was I off, now I am not sure which direction to head. i have searched around on here but couldnt find any similar situations. Ideas and questions are appreciated.

check the fuses and fuse links... if the ECM isn't getting any power... nothing will work either.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

It's the crankshaft sensor I'll bet. Not sure where yours is but on my 83 grand marq it is located on the front of the engine on the crankshaft behind the harmonic balancer & pulleys. Very hard to replace but that's what solved my problem. You can buy them online for $25 or if you are tired of waiting they have them in stock at the parts stores for twice as much.

I posted how to find it & change it. Either look at my posts or do an advanced search.

Comment

Turned out to be a bad pickup coil.

Comment

85 wouldn't have a crank trigger. 80-83 Lincoln, 83-only Grand Marq and Vic, and only US models had that setup. 84-85 non-Canadian had CFI with the same TFI module later ones had. Till 85, Canadian cars were Duraspark with a carb. Same old distributor and ignition box used on 70s models.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Ok, thats some good info. This is a Canadian 1985 model.

Comment

Working...
            X