No announcement yet.

Box or Aero

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear seat on the newer panthers the issue is sitting three across. The passenger at the window ends up with thier hip closest to the window jacked up and the opposite cheek lowered. If you have back problems an 8 mile trip could cause a few days of pain. Never noticed it in a box.
    Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

yeah.;.. the fake buckets of a rear seat don't work well for 3 across. only a true bench does... like boxes/aeros.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Box all the way........love the ease of pushrods plus like the "old" style of them.........
        Rodney Tolleson, me at the track.....future drag box racer!

Comment

Box! Because I can actually work on it!
          1971 Mustang Coupe - Weekend Warrior
          1990 Crown Vic - Driver/Project

Comment

box.......unless someone has an aero 2 dr out there....lol

Comment

Originally posted by L1011tristar17 View Post
              Box any day of the week. Among other reasons, people don't really see them as old-lady cars anymore. It has the classic styling and presence of a proper 70's landyacht minus some of the excess girth. Plus they are easy to work on, and this is coming from someone with zero prior experience with cars.
              I'm with ya on that... The boxes command attention, perhaps this is due to their past association with authority? I wouldn't classify them as big enough to be landyachts, more like battle cruisers maybe. More "full-size sedan" than "Looka me, I'm RICH!".

The newer cars don't stand out in the same way. They are graceful and sleek, but the design language is similar to a lot of cars of that vintage, so they get a bit lost in the shuffle.

As for ease of repair, I don't doubt it. The aero and whale bodies seem to be wrapped around the internals, whereas the boxes are designed from the outside in.
              Mark P.
              Salem, MA

"The Bronze Bomber" - 1994 Grand Marquis GS, 174K

Comment

Hmmmmn, This answers a question that came up last week. I have a 91 box GM. An Aero was tail gating me on the fly over to I 10. When I looked in my rearview mirror he backed down and got off of my ass. Upon entering the freeway, he nailed it rather rudely and kept me from entering for a second. He looked like he handled pretty well as he made it over to the fast lane. I always pay attention to which lanes are not backing up. I then proceeded to show him how well a box can handle and zipped it in and out of traffic. I was already exiting a mile away when he went past 10 seconds later. Glad I pushed a little as I made to the mid year ceremonies at my kids school within 30 seconds of one of my 3 daughters being called up for the honor roll certificate. I was impressed watching the aero go, but it did not seem to have any special handling, just a fool driving fast.Last week I got the rear sway bar on and it also helps my straight line traction. Car handles incredible well. Are the Aero motors fast?
                90 Colony Park LS with GT 40 heads and intake. HO cam, 65 MM TB, 67 MM EGR spacer. Has a 75 MM Pro Flow mass air sensor. Borla XS mufflers. 3L55. Shift kit, 2000 stall Tq convertor...Bilstein shocks, front and rear sway bars.
                90 Colony Park LS 64,000 miles all original. 3L55 tow package....front and rear sway bars.
                91 Grand Marquis GS....HO motor..Bilstein shocks poly bushings and police swaybars. This one handles the best.
                70 Torino Squire with M code 351 Cleveland 3.00 has Magnaflow mufflers. Hidden headlights and power windows. All original

Comment

Box, cuase thats the way i uh huh uh huh uh huh like it!-gold member austin powers.
                  these big bricks can be made to handle, im particular in that i love towncars they are my fav. cheep parts, go fast parts are cheep too, well they are near me and when you hang around mustang guys yep stuff kinda appears once in a while. they can be bamde fast and can do pretty mjch anything a mustang can do and sometimes some things better.
                  89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

Originally posted by stinkydogfilms View Post
                    Hmmmmn, This answers a question that came up last week. I have a 91 box GM. An Aero was tail gating me on the fly over to I 10. When I looked in my rearview mirror he backed down and got off of my ass. Upon entering the freeway, he nailed it rather rudely and kept me from entering for a second. He looked like he handled pretty well as he made it over to the fast lane. I always pay attention to which lanes are not backing up. I then proceeded to show him how well a box can handle and zipped it in and out of traffic. I was already exiting a mile away when he went past 10 seconds later. Glad I pushed a little as I made to the mid year ceremonies at my kids school within 30 seconds of one of my 3 daughters being called up for the honor roll certificate. I was impressed watching the aero go, but it did not seem to have any special handling, just a fool driving fast.Last week I got the rear sway bar on and it also helps my straight line traction. Car handles incredible well. Are the Aero motors fast?
                    aero motors aren't all that great... the box will get out of the hole way faster but the aero will hunt it down in a straight line contest. Aeros handle a little better stock just because they're a little lighter and come with very slightly wider tires. My aero came with the rear sway bar so it definitely handles way better than my boxes. The nose also doesn't float as soon on the aero as the box, so higher speeds are more stable. The aero (by design) handles cross winds WAY better too.

That said... Boxes for looks, aeros for gas mileage, whales for power adders/speed, but boxes can be made to handle pretty easily just by adding the rear swap and stiffer springs around while lowering the nose half an inch to an inch compared to the rear (this can also increase gas mileage a hair or two).

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

My 36 dollar air dam drasicly changed high front end aerodynamics and economy.
                      Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

Originally posted by turbo2256b View Post
                        My 36 dollar air dam drasicly changed high front end aerodynamics and economy.
                        I wonder what that would do on my 88.

Comment

Working...
                        X