did we hurt the engine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

did we hurt the engine?

We now have 3 cars in the stable: 2 box wagons, one mine, one my sister's; and a little 89 tracer for fuel economy.
    Well, now that my sister is commuting much further with the tracer, she loaned out her wagon.
    We got it back last month, after Lee had borrowed it for a couple of months or so, and noticed the check engine light flickering.
    On an '89 colony park, there aren't many possible causes and none of them good. The 89 computer and prior is pretty crudely simple that way iirc.

Well, after a 2 mile drive to the store, I check the dipstick and find it dry. It was sucking up air depending on which way the decreasing reservoir of oil was sloshing, and flickering on and off as it pulled air and then oil.

It's been a month and it's still running (don't worry, I had her top off the oil from the adjacent gas station right then and there), we're pretty pissed at Lee for never even mentioning it "well, I was looking at the road when I was using it... I didn't see any lights on..." NO, the light had to have started to come on before that first trip that we had it back.

What's the likelihood of lasting damage to bearings, crank, etc. having already been done?
    At least, it had SOME oil and wasn't totally dry, but it surely couldn't have been far away.

Won't change a damned thing one way or another, but if peace of mind that our engine's OK is to be had, we'll welcome it.

ok....first thing ....don't let "others" borrow your car (it invariably always ends up bad) ...that being said,check for metal shavings in the oil,better yet do an oil change (it probably needs one after being run that low anyways)......when you first start it after the oil change,listen for any noise....if it is worse than before(worse that it sounded the last oil change)then I would say yes........also, replace the rear drain plug with a magnetic one,and put a magnet in your drain pan and check it after awhile and see what you get....on a high mileage motor expect to see a very small amount of metal shavings,but if you get a furball, well, you got a problem........and check for leaks and oil burning...it has to be going somewhere
    Last edited by ; 01-16-2013, 09:21 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

that pretty much covers all the bases.

And yeah, don't give a car, especially an old car, to anyone to borrow, ever. It virtually always ends in tears. You basically are giving them a rental car for free.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
      160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
      waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

+1 screw your friends if they want your car. Give them rides if you must, but don't let them have the car for any longer than a grocery run. If you must, go over ALL the ongoing issues (topping off oil every few tanks of gas, etc)... and possibly write up a short loaner contract for them to sign saying any neglect related repairs are theirs to cover.

+1 definitely change the oil. Yourself if you can so you can check it for shiny metal bits. If it sounds normal running down the road, I wouldn't worry too much. Lopos are pretty tough.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I agree with all the above. If someone wants to borrow my car, I say that in an emergency I will drive them where they need to go. They will NOT use my car. It is amazing that when you loan your car, something gets messed up. The best you will get is "I am sorry" What you normally get is nothing. It is bad enough when someone is a passenger in your car, and they break something, and say nothing.
          If the person gets mad at you for saying no, too bad, so sad for them.

Comment

it might be ok, as long as it had some oil in it.......def change the oil and filter

i lend cars out but only to a select few, and they know if it breaks they fix it, got one out on loan now, he knows if he messes it up beyond repair he owes me 2 grand lol

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
            2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
            1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
            1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
            2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
            1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

"Neither a lender nor borrower be!" Translation? You get one of my cars over my dead body!!!

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

Yea, when i loan out a car I usually expect problems. Especially to the wife. But i do not know what to do about that.
                03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
                02 SL500 Silver Arrow
                08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
                12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Originally posted by jaywish View Post
                  Yea, when i loan out a car I usually expect problems. Especially to the wife. But i do not know what to do about that.
                  Now THAT is a tough one! Not maried but the girlfriend keeps Body Shops in business so she wouldn't even ask!

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

Couple things..how much oil did it need to fill it to the mark....3 qts or less usally no issues. 4 4 1/2 not good.
                    How hard was it driven high RPM hard driving with 2 qts or less in an engine could be dammaging.
                    Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

Change the oil and drive it. If it's quiet its probably fine.
                      2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
                      2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
                      Past Panthers
                      1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
                      if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

Especially chinese friends (of which my sister has many). Err, not to be racist, but it seems every chinese friend of hers has created car troubles for themselves and doesn't know how to buy, drive, or care for a car.

Unfortunately my sister took it for its oil change, soon after the event, and while I asked her to ask the shop to check the oil that came out of it, either she or they forgot to do so. I'll never know now (unless it continues to develop fresh shavings).

It took one quart to get to the end of the dipstick, 2 to get close to the mark. I made her buy oil as soon as we got to the restaurant, and not drive it back home to "just add some later," hah.

Comment

If its not knocking, its fine. If there was any real damage done, you'd know about it already. Change the oil and filter, carry on.

Also, fix the "check oil" light if the vehicle is so equipped. It helps stave off this sort of crap since it comes on a quart low instead of 3-4 quarts low when its sucking air. Honestly that is a feature I think more vehicles should have had. Its one of the few truly useful idiot lights.
                          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

On a "toughness" related issue...these old 5.0's really can take some abuse...the 5.0 in my old '88 T-bird(I bought it with 178K mi on the original engine) had a little knock and the oil pressure was a little on the low side at a warm idle...I babied it for a year, then put a T-5 in it...then I had a 351W on the engine stand for it and proceeded to abuse the hell out of it...burned tires all over town, barking the tires shifting to 2nd...about a year of that abuse and it was still a strong runner when I pulled it. I've heard a LOT of neglected 5.0's start knocking around 100k miles and if maintained properly, they'll go another 100k if not drag raced regularly.

Good luck
                            -Don
                            '85 CV coupe- 351W, T5-Z, FAST Ez-Efi, shorty headers, 2.5" duals with knock off flowmasters, 2.5" Impala tails, seriously worked GT-40 irons, Comp 265DEH cam, 1.7rr's, Mallory HyFire 6A, Taylor ThunderVolt 50 10.4mm wires, 75mm t/b, 3G alt swap, 140mph PI speedo, PI rear sway bar, '00 PI booster/MC, 95-97 front spindles, '99 front hub bearings/brakes, '92-'94 front upper control arms/ball-joints, 3.73's with rebuilt traction-lok, '09 PI rear disc swap, '96 Mustang GT wheels with 235/55R17's.

Comment

Working...
                            X