polypropylene glycol?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

polypropylene glycol?

So the sears I work at is closing, and things are on clearance prices.
    There's marine/rv antifreeze on sale at 50% off.
    I looked on the bottle: it's propylene glycol. iirc that's the same as gm's dex-cool, right? ...as opposed to traditional antifreeze, which is ethylene. something like that.

I've been looking this up. Seems that propylene glycol doesn't go down *quite* as low in temperature, but low enough for my purposes, and might be slower to break down (longer lifespan).

Can I put this coolant in my car? It says "not for cars," but that might be a qualified "no."

Will it form an emulsion with any polyethylene glycol left in the system?
    how are those "mixes with either one" coolants formulated anyway?

And will it damage my rubber hoses, if there was any different chemistry there for a dexcool/propylene car vs an ethylene car.

basically, can I use it (and should I buy some at 1/2 off), and what are some of the differences I should be aware of?

Stay away from dex cool or anything that relates its self to that shit.. it eats away seals..all dex cool is, is GM job security. And plus the fact that all GM's run normal at 220 degrees LOL!

Comment

it doesn't eat anything if you change it earlier than recommended (it's NOT a long life coolant like GM claims)

what's this 220 degrees business?

anyway...dex cool is ethylene glycol.
      sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

If that is the pink stuff, most of them are labeled -50F, it is used primarily for winter layup as it is non toxic.
        03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
        02 SL500 Silver Arrow
        08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
        12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Joking because GMs run hot

Comment

The RV anti freeze is not for use in a car its for storage mostly for boats and RVs. There is one brand that is for auto use made by Evans Cooling systems (very pricy).

The pink stuff used in a car when heated up erodes the metal in the engine.
            Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

It doesn't have the anti-corrosive properties of standard coolant, even a propelyne glycol coolant. The non-freezing bit is not all the coolant does. It also lubes the water pump and prevents corrosion in the engine internals. the pink stuff doesn't do that. When it says not for use in cars, they mean it.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

pink is mainly for fresh water systems in boats and rvs. its run through the engine for winterization but not really meant for continous lube of the water pump.
                Give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will promptly forget that he once did not know, and proceed to call anyone who asks, a n00b and flame them on the boards for being stupid.

Comment

http://www.evanscooling.com/ The only one that works. I have met with this guy at Ford to discuss usage of his coolant as OEM.
                  Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

i know you all dislike cvn, but i suggest looking at the write up by user stalag it gives a rather interesting insight as far as coolant goes.
                    89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

Working...
                    X