90 Grand Marq won't start!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

90 Grand Marq won't start!

Hey everybody, I haven't been around for a while, life has been hectic lately and I've been giving a lot less attention to my car since it's been running fine... until this

Now I've been having problems for some time now where I'll start it up in the morning and it'll idle irregularly but if I give it a little gas to steadys out and runs normal. Then it stalled on me a few times when I would start it hot after coming back from a store, it would run a little rough, slow down and die. Then one morning I started it up, it ran for a second, then died with no warning. At this point I knew it was only going to get worse and sure enough I was driving to work one morning and it just stalled out right while I was driving down the road. I thought maybe it was electrical because I had ac, radio, and lights on and it was shifting gears as I was accelerating.

I had AAP check the battery they said it was a little low but it and the charging system were fine. Then the next morning I went to start it and it will crank but it won't fire up.

I've recently changed the spark plugs, wires, cap and rotor, could wrong spark plug gapping contribute to this?

I've done some searches here and I suspect that maybe the TFI module might have something to do with it, I don't know. I have a million things on my plate right now and this is probably the worst time for this. Tonight I'll be checking the spark plug gaps and seeing if it has spark and start pulling off the upper intake manifold to do pcv replacement and vacuum lines and a bunch of other shit I've been putting off forever. I'll also check to see if it has fuel pressure, somehting I don't know how to do yet but I'll read up on it.

If anyone can offer me any suggestions I would greatly appreciate it because this is the first time I've ever tried to diagnose a dead engine and make it start again. I'll be reading the shop manual at work today.

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!

Check fp @ the schrader valve on the fuel rail. See if you are getting a spark. How do the dist cap & rotor look? think I would be looking @ TFI before doing the other stuff, get it running first...
    Last edited by mitymerc; 09-27-2013, 09:07 AM.

87 Ford LTD Crown Victoria Country Squire Station Wagon. 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, Boxed LCA's, Explorer Intake, 65mm T-body, 'Stang Cam, 'Stang Air tube, K&N, GT-40X Heads, 1" Spacer, 1 5/8 BBK's, 2.5" Pypes X-pipe w/high flow cats, Single Chamber Thunderbolts, B&M 'vertor, Po-lice Swaybars.

91 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park Station Wagon. K-Code, 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, MK VII LSC Engine, 'Stang Upper Intake, Stang Air Tube, K&N, 65 mm T-Body, 'Stang Headers, 'Stang Cat Pipe,'Stang Torque Convertor, 2 Chamber Thunderbolts.

Comment

+1 on the TFI.
      Others have mentioned PIP inside the distributor, you may have come across that in your searches. A cheap/quick fix (if it is TFI or PIP) may be if you have a good u-pull JY near by get a whole distributor and swap it in there.
      Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
      ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
      ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
      ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Cap and rotor are both new, I put them in about 2,000 ,miles ago, before my road trip. I haven't checked the fuel pressure or spark yet, I've been mostly just reading my manual and being distracted with family stuff but I did manage to drop by the junkyard and grab a distributor from a 90 town car (which I'm assuming is compatible/the same for my GMQ) with tfi module for $5, hard to say if they're any good or not though.

I need to learn more about checking the fuel pressure from the schrader valve on the fuel rail then I'll go and see what I can do.

Thanks.

Comment

If you have strong spark, try giving just a CH of throttle to see if it goes. If it does, the IAC might be stuck shut, and not allowing it to start. A bad TPS can also cause problems.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

That's a good deal, $5 for the whole distributor+TFI. If it doesn't work or the one on your car is not your problem, at least you're only out $5 (not losing money would be better of course).
            If it turns out everything with your distributor is good, at least you have a possible spare.

When my TFI went out on my 89 my dad came down that weekend with 2 distributors. First one, crank no start the same as mine. Second one, fired right up.

Did you try the "new" distributor yet? It's super easy to swap it in, if you haven't already.

Get a sharpie, take your distributor cap off, mark where your rotor is pointing, and mark (as best you can) the same spot on the JY distributor.
            Line up the rotor on the JY distributor to one side or the other of the mark, as you drop it into place the rotor will turn just a little so you don't want to line it up exactly with your mark before dropping it in. Once it is dropped all the way in and seated properly, then the rotor should be lined up with your mark.
            For timing this should be good enough until you can get a timing light on it.
            Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
            ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

Well I need a tool that can fit into the tfi module to take it off because the sockets I have are too wide.

But I tried it again and it fired right up without a problem, the only thing I've really done to it is replace the pcv valve and filter cause I've been meaning to do that for a while, but I definitely don't think that fixed anything, I think it just decided to start for now.

I'll get more into it after work, hopefully it gets me there and back lol.

also the time it didn't start it was very humid outside with a lot of condensation so maybe the moisture had something to do with it, i dunno.

Comment

Originally posted by BuffaloRider View Post
                Well I need a tool that can fit into the tfi module to take it off because the sockets I have are too wide.
                That's part of what makes swapping the whole distributor easier (for me), I've been too lazy to to get the actual tool or grind a socket to make it fit and usually it's easier for me to find a 1/2" or 13mm socket to remove the distributor.
                Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

I have the right tool, and I can't fit it in there with the distributor in place. I usually pop it out, swap the module, and drop it back in. Makes it easier to clean and check the distributor shaft for excessive slop, and replace that petrified O ring that nobody remembers as well.
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Well it happened again this morning. I put the key in and waited for a second to hear the fuel pump kick on but I'm pretty sure I didn't hear it, and sure enough it didn't start. After a minute it eventually fired up but almost sputtered out. I gave it a little gas and it steady out and got me to work.

I'll try to see if I can't buy a fuel pressure gauge after work if they don't cost too much. Is it possible that it's a fuse that would cause the fuel pump to not work?

Comment

could be a weak pump, might be the fuel pump relay having contact issues. Other than that, if you've replaced the fuel filter, and don't have a tank of bad gas, I can't think of anything else.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
                      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
                      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Oh yeah, how could I forget to mention, I added some fuel system cleaner crap into my last full tank and I'm at about 3/4 tank now. I hope its not a bad fuel pump because I just payed an arm and a leg to have a new one put in less than a year ago.

I'll look into the fuel pump relay, I don't know the first thing about car electronics so first I need to find out exactly what a relay is... don't laugh, I'm still new to this lol.

Thanks sly!

Comment

fuel pump is under warranty then.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
                          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
                          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

When you replaced the fuel pump do you remember if there was a rubber fuel line going from the pump to the output of the tank? Did that get replaced as well? On my 91 that hose split open and the fuel was being pumped right back into the tank.
                            Although mine had 22 year old parts and had been sitting for at least 6 years.
                            Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                            ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

My mechanic did the fuel pump when he replaced the fuel tank, so I don't know. But I know if it needs to be done again I'll most likely be the one doing it because I can't afford to pay someone again.
                              You mean a rubber line going from the pump to the sending unit then from there towards the engine, correct?

Comment

Working...
                              X