Oil leaking '88 TC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil leaking '88 TC

So I'm pretty sure my timing cover gaskets have failed after 20+ years.

The symptom is oil leaking primarily down the driver's side front of the engine, and it isn't coming from the valve cover or the distributor shaft seal.

I've replaced the water pump before, so my question is pretty simple: How much more time should I figure for taking the timing cover, the crank pulley, and all that crap off? I will also replace the timing set while I'm in there. Does this disturb the oil pan gasket?

Any tips or other info you might think is important is welcomed!

Check the oil pressure sending unit. They go bad after a few years. WagonMan
    89 Colony Park
    90 Colony Park
    70 HEMI Daytona Convertible

Comment

Originally posted by WagonMan View Post
      Check the oil pressure sending unit. They go bad after a few years. WagonMan
      +1 on that.
      I just replaced the oil pressure sending unit on my 91 a month or two ago. By the time I found the leak and replaced the unit, the leak had become pretty bad. The driver side of the engine bay was very well oiled.

If that is your issue, you'll need a special 8 point oil pressure sending unit socket, any parts store will know what you're talking about if you ask for one.
      Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
      ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
      ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
      ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Anybody got a link to a socket for an '87 Oil pressure sensor switch? I think it is an SW-1311. Most ads don't say how many points the sockets are...

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

This be the socket which you desire.

6 points it be.

naturally, there is no part number stamped on it.
          1990 MGM: $50 E7 heads, HO cam, Holley SysteMAX lower intake, HO upper intake with an Explorer TB. LSC ECM. Lincoln logs into stock dual exhaust. K&N drop in air filter. Wide ratio AOD, 2400 converter with a 3.08 one tire fire out back. Car is less slow now. Then there's the '92 Beater. Dual 2.25" exhaust with shiny tips. Rumbles nice. Super slow. Burns oil too.

Comment

There is some oil pooled up on a spot on the driver's upper part of the timing cover. Also, my pressure sender is new, and it's on a little tee thing so it can be there with my actual pressure gauge.

Oil could blow upwards from the pressure port thing while driving, but I really think this is the timing cover.

Still, I think I'll get some solvent and hose down that area and hope it actually does have to do with the sensor because that would sure be easier.

Comment

Originally posted by HiFiMerc View Post
              This be the socket which you desire.

6 points it be.

naturally, there is no part number stamped on it.
              Thanks! I'll try to see what I can match up. Not an immediate need but good to have one on hand should the need arise.

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

Comment

Yep, 6 point, not sure why I thought it was 8.
                The one from AZ that I got: http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...er=141490_0_0_, I'm sure you can find one for less (like half that price).

Originally posted by Ike Clanton View Post
                There is some oil pooled up on a spot on the driver's upper part of the timing cover. Also, my pressure sender is new, and it's on a little tee thing so it can be there with my actual pressure gauge.

Oil could blow upwards from the pressure port thing while driving, but I really think this is the timing cover.

Still, I think I'll get some solvent and hose down that area and hope it actually does have to do with the sensor because that would sure be easier.
                It sure would be easier if it was the sensor. When my sensor was puking oil it was all over the PS gearbox and all over the underside of the air filter box.

If it's not the timing cover gasket it could be the lower intake gasket, I had to redo mine on my 91 MGM last summer. There was always a pool of oil off to the driver's side of the distributor, replacing the lower intake gaskets solved that. If that's your issue the next thing to look into is replacing the PCV trio (valve, grommet, and filter) along with the lower intake gasket.
                Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

my metrinch set works on those... so I just use my sockets. Don't remember which one it was though.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                  rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
                  ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
                  Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Anyone know if this "bad boy" will work???

Comment

Originally posted by miamibob View Post
                      Anyone know if this "bad boy" will work???

http://www.ebay.com/itm/360762231382...84.m1423.l2649
                      Yep, 1+1/16 is what you want.
                      Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                      ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

Originally posted by VicCrownVic View Post
                        Yep, 1+1/16 is what you want.
                        Many thanks...I'll get it!

Comment

I've never known that thing to need a special socket. I've just gone through the socket rack until something fit it. I couldn't tell you what that was, but it was not anything specially designed for sensors.
                          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Yea same here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I plead ignorance, but where exactly is this oil presure sensor?
                              "To Find yourself, you must first lose yourself"

-1973 Volkswagen Bus Westy
                              -1986 Honda Magna 700cc
                              -1989 Lincoln Town car Signature Series
                              -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

Working...
                              X