water pump differences (picture)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

water pump differences (picture)

I got this new water pump from offline and its a little different from the old rusty one that came off my lincoln, mainly its just 2 bolts as indicated by arrows. The new one is also physically lighter. all the main bolts fit right in place so can I use this one or do i need another exact replacement?
    1989 Lincoln Town Car - "Anabelle" - Original block, .030 over with SpeedPro pistons, rods fitted with ARP hardware, FRPP +volume oil pump, GT-40 3bar heads, Crane 1.72 rockers, 89' Fox cam, 93' Cobra lower intake, Explorer upper and 65mm TB, 93' Lightning EGR spacer, K&N intake kit from a 4.0L Ranger, 19lb/hr injectors w/ 87 Mark VII ECM, cat/smog deletes, Big Brake conversion, 3.55 K-Code Trac-Lok/Disc brake rear axle, CVPI LCA's w/1" sway bar in rear, wagon front sway bar, BBK 2.5" off-road H-Pipe, Flowmaster super 40s, HPP wheels, 3G alternator w/LMR.com wiring kit, gear reduction starter conversion, Best 1/4 time: 16.0 @ 85mph.

Can you take a pic of the back side?

Comment

yes I can
      1989 Lincoln Town Car - "Anabelle" - Original block, .030 over with SpeedPro pistons, rods fitted with ARP hardware, FRPP +volume oil pump, GT-40 3bar heads, Crane 1.72 rockers, 89' Fox cam, 93' Cobra lower intake, Explorer upper and 65mm TB, 93' Lightning EGR spacer, K&N intake kit from a 4.0L Ranger, 19lb/hr injectors w/ 87 Mark VII ECM, cat/smog deletes, Big Brake conversion, 3.55 K-Code Trac-Lok/Disc brake rear axle, CVPI LCA's w/1" sway bar in rear, wagon front sway bar, BBK 2.5" off-road H-Pipe, Flowmaster super 40s, HPP wheels, 3G alternator w/LMR.com wiring kit, gear reduction starter conversion, Best 1/4 time: 16.0 @ 85mph.

Comment

You can use it.

The reason those two bolts are not there anymore is because of the develpment of the design of the pump housing. It is more rigid than it used to be, so those interior bolts are no longer needed to maintain a good seal.

Comment

It should be OK if the height is the same and the pulley matches up. Only thing you need to worry about, do those two missing bolts also fasten one of the engine front brackets in place? Reason for the weight difference, one is probably aluminum and the other is iron.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73
            It should be OK if the height is the same and the pulley matches up. Only thing you need to worry about, do those two missing bolts also fasten one of the engine front brackets in place? Reason for the weight difference, one is probably aluminum and the other is iron.
            VERY IMPORTANT INFO.

The height is crucial.
            1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
            Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

heights are the exact same, and those missing bolts hold nothing on except the water pump itself so im all good to go! Nice one less thing i have to pawn and re-purchase thanks all!

Comment

there is a build date difference on the pumps. I ran into the same thing when I changed my water pump. 302 Motors built before 6/88 get the cast ironpump. motors built after 6/88 get the alluminum pump. 351w also uses the early style iron pump.

I am not sure the pumps will interchange.

also make sure this is NOT a Mustang pump, which is reverse rotaion because of the single belt.
                2003 Town Car Signature - 3.27 RAR, Dual exhaust and J-mod - SOLD 9/2011
                89 Crown Victoria LX HPP -- SOLD 9/2010
                88 Grand Marquis LS - The Original -- Totaled 5/2006

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

Comment

My 84 has an aluminum pump.

my old 85 had one too.
                  1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
                  Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Yeah I have a mustang pump!!!! :drug:

Comment

its actually off an 84 town car

Comment

Originally posted by Blaze86Vic
                        Yeah I have a mustang pump!!!! :drug:
                        are you sure you have the mustang pump johnnie? they are reverse rotation.......thought u were runnin the alt and wp like stock

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                        2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                        1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                        1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                        2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                        1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Deffinitly have the mustang pump, my pump is on the same belt as my AC comp. Plus it's the pump that came on the engine.

Comment

Working...
                          X