Bob is the oil guy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speaking of all things oil
    At what mileage should the oil be changed?............I have heard 3,000 miles for yrs, but everyone has their own definitive answer.
    I used to change filters every other oil change, but I would dump the oil in the filter, then put back...........this was back in the day of 24 qt cases of oil for $12.00...........and R-12 for 40 cents per can at Aid Auto Stores (metro NYC) ........on sale!....normal price was 99 cents!

Comment

there's numerous factors for that. style of driving, type of driving, environment, type of oil, quality of oil, engine type, etc etc. Case in point: lopo 5.0L should be about 3K miles on typical 10W30 dino oil while the 4.6 mod motors like 5w20 blend/synth every 5K. If you're using extended range oils, you can typically go longer. If you're in a very dusty/sandy environment, you'll be changing air filters every oil change and probably about a third more frequent.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Stop and go driving is also harder on the oil.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
        Using Tapatalk

Comment

I do mostly highway, so my lopo 5.0 I will do around every 4000-5000 miles. As I understand it, fuel-injection's more precise fuel control lets the oil last longer than in the carbureted days when fuel control wasn't as precise, and could thus dirty the oil faster or contaminate it if there's flooding, too-rich running, etc.

At least, that's my approximate understanding.

Of course, I have a leak somewhere, so I have to add about 2 quarts during that 4000-5000 mile period.... so that might throw my observations off.
          1987 Ford LTD Crown Victoria 2-door Coupe - perpetually "sort of" for sale...
          Black with Red cloth (velour?) interior.
          Purchased on 10/10/2008, with only 70,386 original miles, and only ONE previous owner.
          Reader's Ride post, First pic with "new" rims, Other pics with "new" rims

Comment

Working...
          X