No announcement yet.

pinging/chattering after cleaning out EGR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If i am reading codes right i am getting 22, 134 and 34.

UNLESS I AM READING THEM WRONG,

I think this is MAP sensor out of range, 134 (unknown code), and EVP EGR out of range/failure to read
    "To Find yourself, you must first lose yourself"

-1973 Volkswagen Bus Westy
    -1986 Honda Magna 700cc
    -1989 Lincoln Town car Signature Series
    -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

there's a single light to "space" active codes and memory codes... so the 1 is probably not part of the actual code. This is why I got the scanner with the digital display. takes all the blink counting mistakes out of the equation.

If the MAP is showing out of range... check the vacuum line to it as well as the electrical connector. make sure it's got good contact on all 3 pins. Without that working right, it will run like ass.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I didn't know there was a light to space out the other lights. How long is the duration of this light, anddoes it come on only between codes?

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
        -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

I pulled the MAP and it started to run like crap almost stalling out

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
          -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

in that case... clean the contacts and shove it back in. It's probably fine. You may have to clean the contacts on the two main wire harnesses under the brake master cylinder. Those may be causing some electrical shenanigans.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

ok thanks,

but wait I never knew that there are blinks that signify a space, if there is, that throws my codes off!!
              do these cars spit out 2 digit or three digit codes...or both???

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
              -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

2-digit codes for boxes. 3-digit codes for aeros. The crossover is either 90 or 92... I can't remember which.

the crossover is probably 4.6L related. 2-digit for 302 and 3-digit for 4.6L.

and yes, there is a single blink with a pause either side of it of a second or two to separate the memory codes from active codes.

Comment

two digit codes. The codes repeat too. You should get 22....22....1 (its actually 10, but 0 = 0 blinks)...34......34

The first set of codes are key on, engine off codes. The second set are stored codes. If you start the engine and run the scan again, you'll get another set of codes. If the 34 is stored, I wouldn't worry about it. Just clear it. Start running the code scan, and then shut the key off or disconnect the code reader to clear. DO the engine running test and see what it says. That will functionally check the EGR.

Its also possible the MAP is bad. They very rarely go bad in a non-obvious way but its not impossible. If the vacuum line and the electrical connection are good and the code doesn't go away, try a spare and see if it helps.
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Thanks for the clarification, so for an 89, there are no 3 digit codes. I will pay closer attnetion to counting when I do this again, but I known it did 34 twice

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
                    -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

MAN!!!

I was driving in the back roads of New Hope, PA. And everytime after it changed gears (especially as soon as it hit OD) if I put a decent amount of throttle....MAN I would hear it ping, not a Knock, but a ping. Maybe it was the seclusion of the woods that isloated the sounds. I don't know.

I swapped the MAP sensor with another one from the junkyard and also the EGR solenoid (on the passenger side wheel well), and it's still doing. I am driving to Yonkers in it this weekend and I want to make sure everything is ok. What else could be the problem???

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
                      -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

When was the last time you set the timing? A lot of the time, pinging means that the timing is too far advanced.

1989 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series | 249k miles, current project car
                        2018 BMW 430i xDrive M-Sport | 50k miles
                        2018 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport | 97k miles

Comment

Never, since I bought it over a year ago

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
                          -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

It's possible that the timing may need to be backed off a few degrees. Mine did that a few years ago after my friend and I had been working on the car and we had to retard the timing 1 or 2 degrees. You can also fix this by running higher octane fuel, although you probably won't need to do that if fixing the timing gets rid of the pinging.

Comment

how would you retard the timing, Do you rotate the dizzy CCW, or CW? ALso how would you measure it?

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
                              -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

You measure it with a timing light. It's the thing that looks like a hairdryer with a bunch of wires coming out of it. Your local autozone/o'reilly's/napa will have one for cheap or you can borrow from a friend. You don't need a fancy digital one either. When you have the timing light all hooked up with the clamp around the #1 spark plug wire, the light will flash whenever that plug fires.

With the engine running, distributor bolt loosened, spout connector on the distributor disconnected, and the timing light aimed at the harmonic balancer, you should see a mark on the balancer that is 10 degrees BTDC every time the light flashes. You want to rotate the distributor so the balancer marking lines up with the metal pointer right above it. You may not have to go all the way back to 10 degrees, but if it starts running weird or pinging, you probably have it adjusted too far in one direction.

Comment

Working...
                                X