No announcement yet.

pinging/chattering after cleaning out EGR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

While looking for pictures of the markings, I conveniently found this old thread about setting the distributor timing. Probably explains it much more clearly than I did.

1989 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series | 249k miles, current project car
    2018 BMW 430i xDrive M-Sport | 50k miles
    2018 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport | 97k miles

Comment

I take it you aim it down from the top of the motor. Won't the fan or belts get in the way of the harmonic balancer?
      "To Find yourself, you must first lose yourself"

-1973 Volkswagen Bus Westy
      -1986 Honda Magna 700cc
      -1989 Lincoln Town car Signature Series
      -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

I believe the balancer is to the rear of the fan and belts so it shouldn't be a problem. It will probably look something like this.

Click image for larger version

Name:	maxresdefault.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	1274557

1989 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series | 249k miles, current project car
        2018 BMW 430i xDrive M-Sport | 50k miles
        2018 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport | 97k miles

Comment

yes, you have to be careful. Also, you will want to mark the hashes on the balancer with a silver marker or liquid paper or pencil or something that will contrast the rust well in the light.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
          Originally posted by gadget73
          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
          Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Thanks for the link, however, the link's pics don't come up. I wil try a different computer. Besides that, this was very helpful.

The EGR holds the vacuum (it runs very very bad) when you apply vacuum to it. What do I need to do in the Solenoid side to test it?

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
            -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

is the timing set correctly? If its too far advanced, it will do this. If it is, back it off a degree or two anyway. If the engine runs lean, it will ping. If it runs too hot, it will tend to ping. If the balancer has spun and the timing marks are just wrong, it will ping because the timing isn't actually correct even if you think it is.

This is a must-see site for fans of American luxury hot rods. Message forums, tech advice, news, and automotive performance links are offered for Lincoln Mark VIII and Mark VII, Lincoln LS, Town Car, Continental, Navigator, Aviator, Zephyr, MKR, MKS, MKZ and more.

has the pictures. I'll try and fix the ones in the other link. I may have moved them sometime in the last 5 years.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Yeah Gadget. It is a nice write-up! But the pics would go a long way!

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
                -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

I fixed the pictures last night. Refresh the page if they don't load. The other link does have the pics. Same article.
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I got the pics. I have been reading the article. The only thign I am confused about is marking the lines on the balancer. There is a set of two marks and the single one. Are the Double marks 10 BTDC???

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
                    -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

You'd have to clean off the balancer to see which is BTDC and ATDC. its stamped in there. There are more numbers on the BTDC side if you can't read the letters. I think the scale goes from something like 30 BTDC to 10 ATDC.

THe marks in my pictures are 10, 12, and 14 BTDC. I think the long one was 10 BTDC. THey won't be marked on the car currently, I made those for my own use so I could try advancing the timing to see if it was happy about it. All that you likely have is a rusty area that will need some wire brush action before any of it can be read.

Comment

understood. Looking forward to get this done!

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
                        -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

While I am there I want to check the EGR system:

Check the Green hose to ensure 0 vacuum (at idle)
                          Check Red hose for 28mm hg vacuum (at idle)
                          Inspect valve (put vacuum to it to make sure it stumbles and stalls)
                          Inspect solenoid on passenger side wheel well (how would one inspect this?)
                          What else should I test for?

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
                          -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

engine vacuum is typically 16-20 inches of mercury, not millimeters.

About all you can do with the solenoid is pop the cap off to clean the filter out. if the filter turns to dust, just leave it out. Squirt some WD40 or similar down the tube that poked up into the filter too. A clogged filter is usually the cause for vacuum on the green line at idle.

Pull vacuum on the green hose at the solenoid to make sure it opens the EGR valve. A leak between the valve and the solenoid will cause the whole works to not operate.

Comment

ok so i pulled the codes. Here is what I got:

Attaching the jumper wire btw the terminals I turned the ignition to accessory
                              Right after I did that, a very very quick blink happened. Six seconds later, another very quick blink happened.

Three seconds later I got a 1 second long blink - 2 seconds later another one. 4 seconds later another 1 seconds blink followed by a 2 second gap and another 1 second blink.

8 seconds later a got a 1 seconds blink, followed by a 3 second gap than three quick blinks, a quick pause (no blinking light in between to separate), and then another 4 quick blinks.

3 seconds go by and it repeats the same 3 and 4 blinks

Now the way I look at it, it told me:

11 -----34---34

I don't know why it would repeat 34 ttwice???

Can anyone help chime me in here???

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
                              -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

it displays codes twice. The blip right after key-on is the cylinder ID code for the code scanner. The first pair of 11's were for key on, engine off. The two "1" codes were actually 10, which is the spacer code between KOEO and CM code output. The second set of codes are stored memory codes. All that tells you is that at some point in the past, the EGR valve screwed up.

Start the engine and do the code scan. that will functionally test the EGR now.

Comment

Working...
                                X