No announcement yet.

Timing Chain Cover Gasket Leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I still wanna get a 96 4.9L (300-i6) F150. Mass air big 6. will play.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
      A 4.3 V6 in an S10 kicks ass
      It sure does, that's what I have in my Sonoma....I just wish it looked as good as it runs.....rust has taken its toll to the point where I have the rear of the bed strapped to the frame as the support back there is totally rotted out.

Comment

A 4.3 V6 in an S10 kicks ass, but in a C1500 it sucks ass.
        I beg to differ. The 4.3 in my '96 c1500 is pretty nice. But I've also got a 5sp, 3" exhaust from manifold back and I also did the throttle plate mod.

'93 T-bird
        '03 Silverado ECSB

Missed:
        '88 Mark VII
        '86 CV

Comment

the 5 speed makes the difference. I've only ever driven them with automatics, one of them was an extended cab and that was truly horrible. They get extra lame if you want to tow or haul things too.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Come ON guys I was gonna start another thread for this lol. Look, if it's not an sefi box panther then I don't know anything about it, I only mentioned the ranger because it came up on a few searches for cheap and easy to work on automobiles. That's why I'm gonna start a new thread so I can get schooled by the people I trust and not some random internet noise.

I'm gonna start another thread for a timing chain write up as well. I started organizing my notes and list of stuff to get for the job and the more I add to it the more I think that I might as well go over the whole process at once so that in the future people can get all the info in one place rather than reading through this thread and others to find it. You know, just trying to give back to the community.

Comment

the 5 speed makes the difference. I've only ever driven them with automatics, one of them was an extended cab and that was truly horrible. They get extra lame if you want to tow or haul things too.
              A 4.3 aint good for anything more than a standard cab no matter the trans in it is.

Congrats on getting the car done! I bet it's a nice feeling of confidence.

'93 T-bird
              '03 Silverado ECSB

Missed:
              '88 Mark VII
              '86 CV

Comment

How did you install the harmonic balancer back on the car? THe stupid installer tool from AutoZone and other part stores puts the tightening nut way inside the snout of the harmonic balancer. And the length of the bolt that sinches up into the crank is too long, so even a deep well socket is too short.

I'm at a loss...I have the bearing in there for the nut to turn on, what to do...
                -Nick M.
                Columbia, SC

66 Squire, 89 Colony Park, 90 TC, 03 TC, 06 TC, 07 TC (2x)
                03 BMW 540iT, 07 Toyota Tundra SR5 Dbl Cab/5.7 2WD

Comment

big ass socket, BFH... tap tap tap (yeah, not preferred). Sometimes an impact on the retaining bolt will work just fine.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                  rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                  Originally posted by gadget73
                  ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                  Originally posted by dmccaig
                  Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I had to get a battery powered impact wrench specifically for this job because I had no air and it would be unsafe to string an extension cord through a apartment complex parking lot. I still payed less to do the job myself, and came out with an extra tool so I'm not complaining.

And thanks for bringing attention to the timing chain write up that I said Id do but never did lol

Comment

try heating it first to expand the balancer. Drop it in a pot of boiling water should do it nicely, will probably slip right on. Can also put it in the oven at the lowest (under 200F) temp, or maybe even leave it out in the hot sun a while. Failing that, just gently tap it on there until you get several threads on the bolt and turn it in. Make sure you oil the bolt threads and the face between the bolt and the big washer. Light oil coat on the snout of the crank is a good idea too Also, put a daub of sealer in the key towards the end of the balancer. A wee bit of oil will weep out of the key slot otherwise, just enough to make a mess. Might have to clean that out with solvent first otherwise the sealer will likely not stick.

We put a big ass gear on a gearbox at work this week. Output shaft on the gearbox was 3 1/2" with a 3/4" key. The install instructions actually say to heat it for installation. We used a torch until it was hot enough for water to flash off the inside surface where it sits against the shaft and pushed it on. Should have made it hotter tho, it went on halfway and shrunk itself down. The water has to be hot enough to ricochet out or it will just suck too much heat out of the part to get it on before it cools. If you do this, a hotter torch is better. It will let you get the inside of the balancer hot without heat soaking it so much that you risk melting the rubber out. The big gear we installed was nylon with a steel inner sleeve where it goes on the shaft, and we used the oxy-acetelyne cutting torch, just not with the oxy lance in use. Rosebud tip would be better, but no gots.
                      Last edited by gadget73; 05-29-2015, 05:02 PM.
                      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                      X