Five Oh wont Go

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Five Oh wont Go

Im still having problems with my car running too lean. I have to keep the timing under the stock 10* or it pings under load, its around 5* right now to let the car run w/o detonation but the power just isnt there. I found a similar post descirbing what is going on with my car on ford vs. chevy but it doesn't look like they ever found the problem. Heres what I said over there:

I'm having a problem with my car crapping out at higher rpms, not getting enough fuel. Its fine up until a few rpm before the shift point 4200rpm in my grand marq (HO engine). At that point the engine is leaning out and not firing on all cylinders making the car buck. The fuel pump is a new stock mustang gt piece, and the filter is a few months old. The plugs are white, new wires, nee TFI module, new coil, good cap and rotor. The TPS, ATC, MAP, and ECT have all be checked and replaced within the year. Fuel pressure is 38psi with the vacume hose off.

What solutions can you guys give to this problem? The only idea I have left is to bump the fuel pressure with an adjustable regulator. I found a few kirban ones on ebay, I read arounf on corral and they're the most reliable ones.

similar problem..

-Matt
    1968 Fairlane 500 - 1998 Camaro Z/28

Scott and Eric both run AFPRs.

They are a good idea for tuning...
    1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
    Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Weak ignition could also be an issue at higher RPM's. You are making an assumption which may not be correct without a real time O2 reading.

Comment

How can I test the ignition though? The wires, and tfi module were done very recently and didn't seem to help.
        -Matt

Comment

38 psi at idle with the hose off is a little low. I get 42 on mine. I think spec is 40-45, but I don't have a book in front of me to check that. You have 19 lb injectors right? And the EGR valve isn't stuck and leaking or anything like that is it? Is your EGR system working properly? If not, that can cause detonation, tho the valve should be closed at WOT.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Prolly need to do the HO fuel pump, if you haven't already. Prolly why it's crapping out at higher RPM.
            Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

According to my book, with the hose unhooked at idle, it should be 40-50 PSI
              Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
              Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

HO fuel pump is in the tank now, I think a regulator is in order for my car.
                -Matt

Comment

Working...
                X