seat belt retractor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

seat belt retractor

Is the seat belt and retractor one complete unit? The drivers' side seat belt pulls out stiff and doesn't want to retract without assistance. Is is possible to install a new retractor without having to replace the seatbelt too? Anyplace to get a new retractor? All info is appreciated.

They are one unit.

Comment

Are they a PITA to change out?

Anyone have a good one with the light brown seat belt?

Comment

They are not too hard. Inside the middle pillar.

Comment

I should be able to reach it by just removing that long, vertical peice of trim over the pillar, right?

I was thinking of just giving it a good spray with some lube. Maybe that'll help.

Comment

At least '90-94 is still available from the dealer... about $150-170. Not sure if '88 would be the same.

Comment

...or go to a U-Pull-It and tug on all the seatbelts to see which ones retract...

$15 at the one local to me.
              2011 Mustang GT Premium, MT82, Kona/Saddle, HIDs, 3.73s, 19s, hood/side stripes, UPR 1.5" springs with adjustable panhard bar, and UMI solid LCAs and relocation brackets.
              1992 Explorer Eddie Bauer, slight lift, 34s, and A/C...
              1979 Bronco Custom, 351M/C6/NP205, 4" lift, 35s, lots of fender trimming.

Comment

i got blue from the 88 gm.......but chances are you dont have a blue interior lol
                scott

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

I was looking to replace my drivers seatbelt. Retractor has been broken for over ten years. Was brought back to dealer to be "fixed' when new. I found them available at Teamfordparts.com which shows it at $269.85 for the left side on my coupe. Only problem is i think they are now only avaible in black.

1986 Grand Marquis LS - coupe [/url] http://photos.yahoo.com/leo76830
                  sigpic
                  1986 Grand Marquis LS 2 Door
                  Ext: Medium Shadow Blue Metallic, Int: Midnight Blue, 3.08 open, 235/70/15 Goodyear Aquatread III, Rebuilt AOD w/ Transgo Shift Kit, 3G upgrade from 95 5.0 Mustang, Walker Dual Exhaust w/ H pipe, Viper 5900ST alarm, De-smogged, Rear Civ. Sway Bar, and more.

Comment

Originally posted by Freshmeat
                    ...or go to a U-Pull-It and tug on all the seatbelts to see which ones retract...

you can't buy seatbelt retractors at U-pull it yards. Liability thing.
                    Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
                    Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

yea not allowed to buy seatbelts or catalytic convertors at the yards........i sneak seatbelts out in the bottom of my tool bag

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                      2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                      1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                      1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                      2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                      1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Scott lives dangerously
                        Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
                        Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by grandpaslincoln

Kinda related, in most racing sanctioning bodies aftermarket harnesses are only good for 2 years then you cannot use them. However your 20+ year old factory belts are just fine. :drug:
                          http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
                          http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

Originally posted by grandpaslincoln

They quoted me $15. Maybe he misunderstood what I was asking. I don't think English was his native language.
                            2011 Mustang GT Premium, MT82, Kona/Saddle, HIDs, 3.73s, 19s, hood/side stripes, UPR 1.5" springs with adjustable panhard bar, and UMI solid LCAs and relocation brackets.
                            1992 Explorer Eddie Bauer, slight lift, 34s, and A/C...
                            1979 Bronco Custom, 351M/C6/NP205, 4" lift, 35s, lots of fender trimming.

Comment

Working...
                            X