Was 1986 the first year?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Was 1986 the first year?

My '86 5.0 Tudor ......was this the first year Ford Used EFI? (EEC-4)

EEC-IV preceded SEFI by two years.

Easy way to remember the EEC advancements is that the version of the EEC (I, II, III, IV) that controls your Windsor V8 corresponds to the year in the decade. Example: EEC-I was used in 1981, EEC-II was used in 1982, EEC-III was used in 1983, and EEC-IV was used in 1984. Unlike its three predecessors, EEC-IV remained in service for our cars for years after. I don't think Ford replaced EEC-IV on our cars until the mid to late 90's. I'm guessing '96 because that's when OBD-II oficially hit the scene (it did however, come with some late 1995 model year cars, much to the smog nazis' pleasure).

Correct me if I'm wrong, panther experts.
    Last edited by Hearsesrock427; 01-06-2015, 09:43 PM. Reason: Added some context
    '89 Grand Marquis "Ebyt", '85 Grand Marquis "Eva", '94 Caprice "Kira"
    '84 Town Car "Stacy", '79 New Yorker “Anita", '93 Town Car "Kelly"
    '80 Mark VI "Allie", '94 Grand Marquis coming June, '79 LTD-S "Oksana"

Comment

thats about right. There was a sort of transitional system between EEC-IV and OBD-II (EEC-V). It was basically EEC-IV, but with streaming data output kind of like OBD-II has. If you had the fantypanter scanner it would show you engine temperature and speed and all that fun stuff.

The years aren't quite right though. Lincoln used the EEC-III CFI from 1980-1983 on the 302. The version numbers aren't really related to the year, its just the revision to the engine control. EEC-II is basically the MCU system used on the 351 fleet/police cars through 1991. I don't honestly know what EEC-I was.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
        thats about right. There was a sort of transitional system between EEC-IV and OBD-II (EEC-V). It was basically EEC-IV, but with streaming data output kind of like OBD-II has. If you had the fantypanter scanner it would show you engine temperature and speed and all that fun stuff.

The years aren't quite right though. Lincoln used the EEC-III CFI from 1980-1983 on the 302. The version numbers aren't really related to the year, its just the revision to the engine control. EEC-II is basically the MCU system used on the 351 fleet/police cars through 1991. I don't honestly know what EEC-I was.
        My guess is EEC-I was, probably unofficially, when Ford introduced electronic ignition in about 1974. I remember father saying his '73 Lincoln had points and condenser, but his '74 Mercury Montcalm had a basic electronic ignition. Debut of DuraSpark perhaps?
        Summer car-> 1988 Lincoln Town Car, triple blue, 335,xxx km. New HO 5.0 in and running. Bought 2006/08/22. June 2017 PotM!
        Winter vehicle-> 1995 Ford F-250 XLT SuperCab 4x4, 284,xxx+km. AKA "Brutus" 460/E4OD/4.10 axles and 12 MPG. Bought 2019/08/14

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Wiki says it had a processor, but I've got no clue what it was used on.

It says it was used as a proof of concept, so maybe it was on a test fleet of cars only, not actually in production.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Comment

Working...
          X