Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My 1989 Grand Marquis GS sedan "Ebyt"

There's a decent story to this one.

Start circa 2011. I'm just lurking on CVN, checking out the build threads. I see what seems to be a decommissioned unmarked police car in some guy's (2006_P71) signature. I take a closer look, and find that it's a beige Grand Marquis, with police steelie center caps. I'm hooked. I check out the few shots he has on flickr of the car. I make preliminary plans to either buy the car from him, or find a Grand Marquis and do it up the same way he did his. I looked at countless other panthers, from all the different generations. I developed my taste, my sense of beauty, and my obession. The 1988-1991 MGMs & LTD CVs were crowned the favorite panthers. (1986-1989 Townies were a VERY close second!). I continued to lust after Nate's 89' Grand Marquis GS. This went on for a couple years.

Fast forward to late 2013. I get a tip from a friend of mine at Riverside Automotive that there's a white box panther wagon. I check it out that day, and fall in love. I inspect every inch of it. I take it the lines and the shapes. The destitute state of the panther brought me to tears. I then (stupidly, in hindsight) made it a priority to try and resusicate the wagon. What resulted was.... a circus.
    Link: http://www.crownvic.net/ubbthreads/u...2788803&page=1

I laid everything out on the table, including my passion for box panthers. While pretty much everyone who posted in that thread justifiably thought I was an idiot, a couple people steered me in the right direction. Nate was one. We soon starting PMing about cars n' stuff. Within a week, I got the low-down on Ebyt. I checked her out the next month, and made plans to buy her in mid May. Figured I'd have plenty of time to tool around after classes were over. I didn't end up waiting that long, thankfully! Things changed on Nate's end, and he had to sell a car by April 4th. I immediately moved up plans to purchase the car. I made some calls, did some research (on titles & registrations, as well as trasnferring ownership), and by 4 PM on Tuesday the 1st, Ebyt was mine! Drove her home and parked her. The trip back home went without a hitch, despite lacking plates, proof of insurance, proof of registration, etc. Haha. Next time I buy a car, I'll be sure to either get that stuff taken care off ahead of time, OR have the car towed/trailered home. I got extremely lucky. Proof that Ebyt and I were always meant to be. Or so I claim.

I'm sure you're all wondering now, "What's with the name, Ebyt?". Ebyt is an acronym for "Every breath you take", which is a reference to the song "Every breath you take" The Police. Good cruising song, to say the least. I got introduced to the song by a post in the aforementioned circus. Haha.

There. Now you've gotten through the backstory. Now you can enjoy the plans. As you may already know, Ebyt's my summer toy of sorts. A badass, budget hot rod to be.

THE BIG TO-DO LIST!!!! (Thanks to pantera, Jeff2, and HiFiMerc for helping with the specifics!)
    -Surface rust repair
    -Trim repair/replacement
    -130 amp small frame alternator
    -CD player of some sort, with accompanying adapter
    -Tighten TV cable (already have brass grommet installed)
    -Exploder cam
    -1.7 roller rockers
    -GT-40P cylinders
    -New valve springs
    -FRPP Mustang short tube headers (compatible with GT-40Ps)
    -Catless Mustang H pipe
    -19 lbs/hour injectors
    -Exploder upper & lower intake (with internal EGR)
    -Computer tune. Will run an automatic tranny Mustang Speed Density OR Mark 7 D9S computer. (Gonna learn how to use Moates Quarter Horse. Will optimize the speed density EFI for my setup.)
    -Trac-lok clutch based diff with 3.73+ RAR
    -Aero rear end with disc brakes
    -16 inch P71 steel wheels (from a 98-02 CVPI), with center caps.
    -Max performance (or whatever term they use to refer to summer tires) tires
    -Slicktop/vinylless top
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Hearsesrock427; 04-08-2014, 02:36 PM. Reason: Minor stylistic changes
    '89 Grand Marquis "Ebyt", '85 Grand Marquis "Eva", '94 Caprice "Kira"
    '84 Town Car "Stacy", '79 New Yorker “Anita", '93 Town Car "Kelly"
    '80 Mark VI "Allie", '94 Grand Marquis coming June, '79 LTD-S "Oksana"

88-91, I like your style.
    Of course on the outside they look the same, but then you get to interior preference (if you have a preference at all). The classic box dash (88-89) or aero dash (90-91). I think the newer dash is starting to grow on me, it just took some time after 12 years of being behind the wheel of classic box dashes. It does seem easier to work on the newer dash as far as the cluster and heater core goes, but that's just my opinion.
    Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
    ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
    ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
    ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Got my '87 and digital dash in my '95. Kinda liked the dash on my Dad's 93 GM but then again I liked it overall better than my '95. Sentimental value, I guess as Mon and Dad are "no longer with us" and they picked the colors.

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

@VicCrownVic: Thanks! You've got good taste yourself, rockin' those Grand Marqs. I didn't even know there were aero dashes in the box panthers. That's pretty cool, actually. I'll keep that in mind when I do another digidash swap (gonna do my first one this summer). I bet you a hundred to one an aero dash would be easier to do the swap with. Also need to fix the gear indicator! It says I'm in OD when I'm in D, among other things. Haha.

@MiamiBob: I've seen aeros with digidashes (most recently a 93 MGM LS!), and they're pretty cool. My only issue with the digidashes offered on panthers is that there's no tach. And I don't blame you for keeping the stock colors. If they're associated with noteworthy individuals, that alone is a powerful enough reason to leave em' be.
        Last edited by Hearsesrock427; 04-08-2014, 04:07 PM. Reason: Added a reply!

Comment

Some CRETIN blew a Stop sign and totaled my parents car back a few years ago. It was CERTAINLY fixable (only some damage in the rear) but here in FLA they total cars REALLY quick! Wish I still had it. Mocha Frost exterior and matching cloth interior. Had the analog dashboard as that is what we wanted.

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

@miami: I know what you mean. Especially if it's an older car. Depreciation has a funny way of making people (read: insurance companies) write off perfectly fixable rides. It's hilarious to see some of stuff people junk on copart.

Build update!

I'm looking at ordering parts now. After reading pantera's "Exhaust Options" thread (should be stickied!), I'm confident I've got the right stuff. Still, I want to run it by you box aficionados before I pull the trigger. Please don't hesitate to correct me.

FRPP 5.0 ceramic coated GT-40P compatible headers:
            http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...Ceramic-Coated

H-pipe parts:
            http://www.summitracing.com/parts/psm-82-1118/overview/
            http://www.summitracing.com/parts/psm-82-1117/overview/
            http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=388833

Extensions (not sure how many to buy, or which one):
            http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=133307
            http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=133489

Tailpipe (need two of these, obviously):
            http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=133230

Long wire 02 sensors (not sure if these are the right kind, and where and how many to buy):
            http://www.boschautoparts.com/Oxygen...enSensors.aspx

1.7 roller rockers:
            http://www.summitracing.com/parts/pr...view/make/ford

GT-40P valve springs:
            http://www.summitracing.com/parts/tfs-2500100

Ford racing 3.73 gears:
            http://www.summitracing.com/parts/fm...8373/overview/

Trac-lok system:
            http://www.summitracing.com/parts/fm...318c/overview/

That should be enough for now!
            Last edited by Hearsesrock427; 04-08-2014, 05:29 PM. Reason: Typo fixes, added Valve Springs.

Comment

That Track-Lok is a 31 spline unit. You need a 28 spline.
              1990 MGM: $50 E7 heads, HO cam, Holley SysteMAX lower intake, HO upper intake with an Explorer TB. LSC ECM. Lincoln logs into stock dual exhaust. K&N drop in air filter. Wide ratio AOD, 2400 converter with a 3.08 one tire fire out back. Car is less slow now. Then there's the '92 Beater. Dual 2.25" exhaust with shiny tips. Rumbles nice. Super slow. Burns oil too.

Comment

28 spline trac-lok: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/fm...f28a/overview/

That's pretty expensive though. I'd be better off getting a K-code rear out of a junkyard box panther at that point. Anynone else know where I can buy Trac-lok systems?

Comment

It's apparently hard to find the 28 spline new(since Ford stopped using it), used is just as good though.

Sent from the crapper
                  1989 Country Squire - Twilight Blue, 347 stroker

2005 Crown Victoria Sport - Black - Stainless Works full exhaust with Borla Pro XS mufflers, BBK 75mm TB, Accufab plenum, CVPI airbox, Heinous control arms, etc...

Comment

It's gonna be a pain going slicktop. I had a old can of Goo Gone or Goof Off or whatever, that had Toluene and something else (Xylene?) that both really did a number on the glue, I mean, soak that down and a putty knife scraped it off like fresh boogers. Then I go to the store, and they didn't put the two chemicals that worked together anymore, and trying to buy two separate products doesn't work because there's so much acetone in everything it flashes off in what seems like seconds.
                    Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

Comment

@BlackVic_P71: So I hear. Apparently, there's been a big shift to the 31 spline models. Supposedly you can convert a 31 to 28, but that's additional time and labor on top of what you pay for the 31 spline unit.

I'll hunt around U-pull-its for a couple weeks. If nothing good comes from it, I'll bite the bullet and buy new.

@sxcpotatoes: I won't be slicktopping Ebyt for a while.... probably not this summer. The top's cracking a bit, but it's not terrible. Shame they don't sell the chemicals that work together anymore. I'll be sure to look for the Goo Be Gone stuff when I prepare for the slicktop conversion.
                      Last edited by Hearsesrock427; 04-08-2014, 06:47 PM. Reason: Added a reply.

Comment

You can get a Track-lok out of any 8.8 rear end with 28 spline axles, if you can find one equipped with it. There is always Ebay. That's where I got mine. Took a risk. Unit has a few dings on it. It probably floated around a salvage place for years.
                        1990 MGM: $50 E7 heads, HO cam, Holley SysteMAX lower intake, HO upper intake with an Explorer TB. LSC ECM. Lincoln logs into stock dual exhaust. K&N drop in air filter. Wide ratio AOD, 2400 converter with a 3.08 one tire fire out back. Car is less slow now. Then there's the '92 Beater. Dual 2.25" exhaust with shiny tips. Rumbles nice. Super slow. Burns oil too.

Comment

That summit 28 spline unit said for 9" rears. We have 8.8" Don't think it will fit, call them and check.
                          03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
                          02 SL500 Silver Arrow
                          08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
                          12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

8.8 28 spline Trac lok SVOM4204F288P. Amazon has it $328.12
                            http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...w_bottom_links

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
                            Last edited by kodiak; 04-08-2014, 11:29 PM.
                            Using Tapatalk

Comment

@HifiMerc: Found some interesting stuff on Ebay as well, including a trac-lok for ~50 bucks (only had 1 bid when I checked some 3 hours ago). The super low price makes me suspicious though. I mean, I bet they go for more than that at U-pull-its.

@jaywish: OSHI- didn't even know there was a such thing as a 9.0 rear end. I'll just rock the 8.8 to be safe. Will remember that in the future!

@kodiak: Excellent find. I'll order one this week! Thanks man.

General trac-lok questions:
                              -What type of fluid and what brand should I buy?
                              -How often should I change said diff fluid?
                              -Clutch rebuilds should happen every 60,000 miles IIRC. Not sure on this though.

Comment

Working...
                              X