Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Water pump's going out. What do I need to know to replace it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Water pump's going out. What do I need to know to replace it?

I noticed while I was installing one of the new shocks that the front of the engine was wet. Checked the oil, it was fine. Checked the radiator reservoir, and it was empty. Mother tells me that if the front of the engine is wet, that's the first sign that the water pump's going out. She says we should be able to do that, so I'm starting to make plans.

AutoZone guide says I need to remove the power steering pump to remove the water pump. Is this true?

This should be pretty much the last thing that goes wrong with the car. Well, maybe the oil pump.
    Last edited by ootdega; 02-16-2015, 03:57 AM.
    89 Grand Marquis GS.

Putting it here because I keep forgetting to mention it. It's not very exciting at the moment.

Alternator, PS pump and it's bracket, the top bracket for the AC compressor. Those have to move to get to the water pump. The AC compressor itself can stay if I recall. Also, there are different length bolts holding the pump on, keep track of them, or it's a guessing game as to where they go. Might be a bit foggy on this, haven't changed a water pump since 2007 or so.
    1990 MGM: $50 E7 heads, HO cam, Holley SysteMAX lower intake, HO upper intake with an Explorer TB. LSC ECM. Lincoln logs into stock dual exhaust. K&N drop in air filter. Wide ratio AOD, 2400 converter with a 3.08 one tire fire out back. Car is less slow now. Then there's the '92 Beater. Dual 2.25" exhaust with shiny tips. Rumbles nice. Super slow. Burns oil too.

Comment

Yes, all of that has to come off in order to get the water pump off. Make sure you take pictures how it is assembled and keep nuts/bolts/etc separated and labeled. I found all of the weird bracketry and random length fasteners and such to be a pain in the ass.
      Nick

Past: 1967 Continental convertible, 1987 TC Cartier, 1996 TC DAE & Signature, 2002 LS V8, 2006 Zephyr, 2010 MKZ AWD, and many more.....
      Current: 2010 F-150 Platinum Supercrew 4x4
      Wanted: 1967 or 1969 Contnential sedan
      Only in my dreams: A Continental Mark II

Comment

Of course the fan, fan shroud, radiator, upper and lower hoses and the bypass hose have to come out too.
        Basically anything that is attached to the water pump or is in the way of removing it.
        It's not a fun job but it can be done in a few hours.
        But before doing pulling it, make sure it's the water pump and not something else.

Comment

Sure it's not the bypass hose and/or clamps??

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

Radiator can stay in. +1 on the hoses.
            Nick

Past: 1967 Continental convertible, 1987 TC Cartier, 1996 TC DAE & Signature, 2002 LS V8, 2006 Zephyr, 2010 MKZ AWD, and many more.....
            Current: 2010 F-150 Platinum Supercrew 4x4
            Wanted: 1967 or 1969 Contnential sedan
            Only in my dreams: A Continental Mark II

Comment

Originally posted by mcninetyone View Post
              Of course the fan, fan shroud, radiator, upper and lower hoses and the bypass hose have to come out too.
              Basically anything that is attached to the water pump or is in the way of removing it.
              It's not a fun job but it can be done in a few hours.
              But before doing pulling it, make sure it's the water pump and not something else.
              Originally posted by miamibob View Post
              I'm positive it's not a leak anywhere. I hadn't touched the antifreeze in about two months, and the radiator was still 100% full. So it's way too small to be a leak. And it's directly down the front of the engine block, dead center. If it were the hose it would be off to the side more.

So I don't need to remove the power steering pump? Cause that would make it a nightmare.
              89 Grand Marquis GS.

Putting it here because I keep forgetting to mention it. It's not very exciting at the moment.

Comment

Leaks can be deceptive. The fluid can show up far from the leak so I would be through before ripping all that shit out!

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

Comment

The pump, alternator and AC stay in the car with all their hoses and wiring connections intact but the bracket has to be removed from the waterpump. Make sure you disconnect the neg on the battery first to avoid shorts around the alternator. Probably should gently tie them back just enough to have them out of the way. Don't overstress the connection.

The radiator is optional to remove but some folks want or need the room to work on and or clean the mounting for the pump. I think it would make things a bit easier for you if you removed the radiator first. The only real downside is removing the tranny lines. So call it 50/50.

As mentioned earlier, take good pictures first.

You must know which bolt comes from which hole. What I do is remove a bolt, place it in the corresponding hole of the new pump. Repeat till pump is out. Then you need to move them bolt by bolt to the old pump, again making sure they are in the correct hole. Don't rush theses steps or you may screw yourself. Some people make a cardboard pattern by tracing the new pump and marking the holes for the bolts and shove the bolts through the cardboard in the correct spot as they come out.

You can get a regular pump or a heavy duty unit, your choice.

Might want to wipe down and spray paint the new unit before you install it.
                  03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
                  02 SL500 Silver Arrow
                  08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
                  12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Replace those stupid bypass hoses if you do end up changing the pump. Pain in the ass they are. Maybe it's because I have big hands.
                    1990 MGM: $50 E7 heads, HO cam, Holley SysteMAX lower intake, HO upper intake with an Explorer TB. LSC ECM. Lincoln logs into stock dual exhaust. K&N drop in air filter. Wide ratio AOD, 2400 converter with a 3.08 one tire fire out back. Car is less slow now. Then there's the '92 Beater. Dual 2.25" exhaust with shiny tips. Rumbles nice. Super slow. Burns oil too.

Comment

I agree, while you're at it replace that stupid bypass hose, it is a pita.
                      I also agree with LithiumCobalt, the radiator can stay in.
                      I pull it because it makes things a bit easier and so Later I won't regret doing something stupid.
                      Like hitting it with a tool or the water pump as it come out.
                      You can do a lot of damage when you're frustrated.

Comment

Have a close look in there before you go changing the pump. if its leaking, you'll probably see green drips hanging from it. Water will typically show up running down the back side of the pulley if its the pump. If its the hose, it will show up around the hose on the top side of the pump.

I don't mean to scare you here, but sometimes the water pump bolts break. if you break one off in the block and aren't prepared to deal with that, its going to be towed somewhere to get it fixed. I've done a number of them without any breaks, but it does happen sometimes.
                        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

You guys were right, it was the bypass hose that is leaking. We took another look at it today and that's where it's leaking from. It was deceptive because the fan blows the leaking antifreeze over the grease-caked engine block.

We'll be getting another hose and replacing it (As well as putting the goddamn clamp screw where I can reach it).

I will replace the water pump with a better one some time in the future, though. I'll probably do it when I convert the engine. I'll remember this stuff when I do, so thank you regardless.
                          Last edited by ootdega; 02-16-2015, 10:15 PM.
                          89 Grand Marquis GS.

Comment

HELLO!!! A little bit of a PIA but still better than a water pump!

Comment

HELLO!!! A little bit of a PIA but still better than a water pump!
                              Looks like we both replied at the same time.
                              89 Grand Marquis GS.

Comment

Working...
                              X