Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Insane Idea - 460 CID (Now 351w options)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Slushbox is just a nickname for the stock AOD since they are designed to shift so smooth you're not sure what gear you're in. Don't think grandpa/grandma were interested in neck-snapping shifts
    These are highly engineered precision vehicles, the first step in diagnosing the problem is to strike the suspected offending part sharply and repeatedly with a blunt object, then re-test.

Comment

Is there a superior transmission for the 351 then?

Comment

AOD-WR with a OD lockout valve body and all HD or better internals would be my choice if not a 5-speed swap.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Just keep the AOD and put a SilverFox valve body on it. It'll shift like it's a performance transmission and just that will be a great upgrade.

1985.03 Crown Vic. Coupe "CVGT" Build thread - china whirlybird, burnout machine.
          The only 6 speed box on a late model frame.

Originally posted by SVT98t
          It has air ride. I've disabled it since I've been jacking it up and down.

That is how you're supposed to jack it.

Up and down.

-ryan s.

Comment

How is this work getting done? Are you going to try to tackle it yourself or farm it out? Based on the questions in this thread, it seems like it's going to be a checkbook build.
            '91 LTD Country Squire LX | '82 Cougar GS wagon |'03 Marauder | ' 18 Flex Limited EB
            formerly: '02 MGM, '04 MGM, '04 MGM v2.0, '04 MM, '07 P71 w/5-speed, '03 SAP P71, '04 CVLX (now in pantera77's stable), '10 P7B

Comment

I would do gears definitely, 3.73 isn't bad at all with OD. Adding lower gears is one of, if not the best "bang for the bucks" mods you can do. If I were you, if you want a cheap build, look for used Lightning parts. The GT40 heads are a big improvement, you can upgrade to EFI that way also. I'm not sure but I'd imagine the Lightning cam is a bit bigger than what you've got, which is probably what a stock 351 pickup has. Then, throw on a set of shorty headers (BBK 351-swap Mustang shorties are the only ones I know of that work with a 351 in a box) and a dual 2.5" exhaust and you'll be far ahead of where you were.

If that's not enough, add a P-1SC Procharger with low boost like 5psi.

Lastly, acquire another daily driver (if you haven't already) while you do the build, otherwise it's pretty much impossible, unless you or a shop can do it over a weekend and you can live without your car until then, but I think another car is the easiest way. If you're not comfortable doing it yourself, try to find a local speed shop with a good rep and works on both older and newer cars (some shops only work with near new cars, some only do old carbed cars/truck and don't mess with EFI), they'll be your best bet.
              88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
              Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

You guys are awesome.

Will I need to make alterations to the hood?

I'd definitely be interested in EFI,

Comment

How hard is it to get 3.73" gears?

Comment

either pull them from an explorer in the junkyard or give Summit a call. Everything will fit under the hood

EFI is more trouble than its worth
                    Last edited by phayzer5; 04-14-2015, 08:05 PM.

RIP Jason P Harril, we'll miss ya bro

'80 Town Coupé
                    '84 Towncar - Teh Cobra TC, 408w powered
                    '16 Ram 1500 CC Outdoorsman, Hemi/3.92/8sp 4x4

Comment

Who is Summit?

Comment

Oh lawdy, you've got a long road ahead of you to be hot rodding anything

'80 Town Coupé

Comment

Originally posted by phayzer5 View Post
                          Lmao.................dont forget his brother Jeg..............
                          Rodney Tolleson, me at the track.....future drag box racer!

Comment

Just get narrower tires to burn more rubber
                            Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

Originally posted by phayzer5 View Post

http://www.summitracing.com/
                              Right, because I was supposed to have been born with this knowledge.

Thanks for your helpful post.

Comment

'80 Town Coupé

Comment

Working...
                                X