No announcement yet.

351 or Lightning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There's also the cobra option that does the intake on the driver side like panthers.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by dmccaig View Post
      No accessory mess means I could keep my AC?

Donald
      On a 351w youd have a belt for the A/C and air pump. I removed the air pump and had no luck finding a belt for just the A.C. so I ended up removing the AC as well. Though I didnt try desperstely to find that belt it just seemed like the logical thing to do since I removed the air pump in the name of reducing power loss.

Comment

The hitch with a 351 is you need a different bracket to mount the compressor to. Same stuff on the alternator and PS side, but the 351 AC brackets are longer.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by knucklehead0202 View Post
          Exactly that. I've been wondering if anyone has done a functional HO accessory swap on a panther. Supercharger kits for the fox 5.0s are stupidly cheap these days and I'd rather do that than turbo, but given the sillyass double-serpentine shit mess arrangement we have, it just seems nuts. Ideally you could run a fox blower setup, using an aftermarket air-to-air intercooler and just route it right into the driver's side-pointing intake. Barring that, there are a myriad of cheap turbo setups that could be used, but I'd rather have the old-school one because they fit right in place of the headers, instead of pointing up toward the front and requiring custom-fabbed downpipes. I'm also in California though so some of the consideration is based on "smog legality"(think Hank Hill's voice there).
          If your not keeping a/c it's pretty straight forward to swap to fox accessories. With a/c it becomes a bit more involved.
          2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
          2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
          2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
          1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

i would just go with a fresh 302 with some gt40 heads and a HO conversion

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
            2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
            1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
            1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
            2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
            1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Dear Panthers,
              I might be able to rebuild the 302 a second time (ratchet says probably). While some have sworn they get good mileage on their HO (and such a conversion would be easy and relatively cheap) Frankly, I don't trust the ("One winter day I was driving to cleveland and the tripminder said . . ." mileage claims I've seen. I get 20/21 interstate on my non-HO 302. I've done so for many years on many interstates and in all sorts of weather. The 351 seems likelier to produce a little more on ramp punch and the same regular gas mileage.

I would be grateful for your disagreements.

Donald

Comment

Scott's car does the same mileage with the HO. I know I've personally gotten better than 20 out of it on the highway at 70-75. My own car has mostly been a fuel pig but the last few trips before the cam swap gave me 19-20 mpg. I haven't put any real amount of highway miles on it since to have any clue what its going to do now. In a couple weeks I'm planning a trip, so I'll know then. My Mark VII does 21 out of it's stock high mileage HO. Better aerodynamics but similar weight to an unloaded Vic.
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Donald,

I was getting 23 mpg in gentle highyway out of my 89 HO in the wagon with posi rear and 3.08 gears.

Jay
                  03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
                  02 SL500 Silver Arrow
                  08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
                  12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Thanks,

Donald

Comment

Best economy with a 302 I did was ported E7 heads, ported lower intake, ported LOPO upper. 5.0 TB, Tapper ported EGR spacer, HO cam, used one of the HO MAF conversion setups with 19# injectors. Gears were 3.55 with stock dia tires although much wider.
                      Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

So uh I was getting a solid 20-21 on the highway with my messed up tune and not very stock 351..

With 27" rear tires.

1985.03 Crown Vic. Coupe "CVGT" Build thread - china whirlybird, burnout machine.
                        The only 6 speed box on a late model frame.

Originally posted by SVT98t
                        It has air ride. I've disabled it since I've been jacking it up and down.

That is how you're supposed to jack it.

Up and down.

-ryan s.

Comment

351Ws never got good economy mostly because the heads were too small. a 351c 2 BBL OFTEN DID OVER 20mpg back in the day so did a W with 2 bbl C heads.

Comment

yeah, the stock heads were crap. Make one move air efficiently and theres not really a reason that it can't be decent on fuel. Moving a 4000 lb brick down the road at 75 mph is never going to be extremely cheap to do, but I would expect you can make it happen with a 351 for no more fuel cost than a 302 will do it.

Comment

Sometimes wish the lifter anti rotation yoke didnt bust in the 302 that got 32.9 highway and 22ish in town. Still have all the parts except a short block and exhaust.

Comment

Yeah, but the lifter anti-rotation yoke won't get that mileage unless you drop one of those big white crusty pills into the gas.

Donald

Comment

Working...
                                X