coolant leak -- what is this part?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

coolant leak -- what is this part?

my wife primarily drives the wagon these days and i'm having to constantly add coolant (after fixing the last leak at the EGR). however today i took it out for a short drive after topping off both the radiator and the overflow tank for good measure -- sure enough, when i parked it i could see a steady stream of coolant leaking further back in front of the transmission... looks to be from this tube:

first pic from the front, second from the rear:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	leak1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	1303032
    Click image for larger version

Name:	leak2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	1303031

don't have time to jack it up right now and investigate, but wondering what this is?

thanks.

just had a thought looking at the photos -- leak just collecting there maybe from above? though i couldn't see anything dripping above the tube, i suppose it could be running down it. steady stream for a bit tho from this point on the tube. hmm. :confused:

Comment

That looks to be the AIR tube going from the smog pump to your cats... Ashley's car started leaking coolant over the winter and the drips were coming from rougly the same spot. Turns out that the intake gaskets blew out, firewall side. Coolant was leaking from there onto the trans and then that tube where it dripped all over the ground. That was fun.
      Last edited by DerekTheGreat; 06-18-2015, 01:52 PM.
      1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
      1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
        That looks to be the AIR tube going from the smog pump to your cats... Ashley's car started leaking coolant over the winter and the drips were coming from rougly the same spot. Turns out that the intake gaskets blew out, firewall side. Coolant was leaking from there onto the trans and then that tube where it dripped all over the ground. That was fun.
        I'd check the little hose that goes from the heater pipe to the EGR spacer and back to the lower intake on the driver side. If that hose has a leak, it'll do EXACTLY this. And it's tons easier to fix.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
          I'd check the little hose that goes from the heater pipe to the EGR spacer and back to the lower intake on the driver side. If that hose has a leak, it'll do EXACTLY this. And it's tons easier to fix.
          well that's what (i thought) i fixed before... unless i didn't get a good seal on the nipple back to the intake (lots of "stuff" in the way there). hmmm, guess i'll check that again. maybe best to bypass EGR at this point? i know i saw a post on here somewhere about doing that.
          thanks.

Comment

bypassing the EGR spacer basically runs the long small hose from the heater hose to the intake nipple.

when I did that on my 88 I use the short hose to loop back on the EGR spacer itself (after I purged it of coolant) for a vacuum seal in case the gasket ever decided to leak between the coolant passage and the intake passage.
            Last edited by sly; 06-18-2015, 05:00 PM.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
            Originally posted by gadget73
            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
            Originally posted by dmccaig
            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
            X