Motorcraft idler pulley

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Motorcraft idler pulley

I want to change the idler pulley (making noise) and wanted to know if there is a part number from motorcraft for the idler pulley
    "To Find yourself, you must first lose yourself"

-1973 Volkswagen Bus Westy
    -1986 Honda Magna 700cc
    -1989 Lincoln Town car Signature Series
    -2011 Subaru Outback

assuming for the 89 lopo?

I can't find any reference, but I can tell you that replacing those sucks. You have to remove the assembly from the car, bash the grease cap until it comes off (I used a center punch to dig a hole on the edge of the cap then used a screwdriver to pry the damn thing off). Then snap ring pliers to remove the snap ring and take the pulley off. Then you can use those plastic replacements. I've had visions of figuring out how to use an aero-whale tensioner to replace that idler pulley, but I've never taken the time to set out the bracket and get the geometry correct for drilling holes and mounting a tensioner. There is plenty of room to do it, just don't know exactly where to do it and if there would be a spacer required or not.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Yeah
      This is for the 89.

I changed it before, but now with it squeaking and spraying it with PB blaster, the squeaks immediately went away. Only thing is I forgot how I changed it before! Yes, I saw you mention looking into doing that before with using the aero version.

I know you can't grease those bearings anymore. That is why I want to get a motorcraft idler pulley, but I see rockauto doesn't carry one
      "To Find yourself, you must first lose yourself"

-1973 Volkswagen Bus Westy
      -1986 Honda Magna 700cc
      -1989 Lincoln Town car Signature Series
      -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

yeah... I couldn't find anyone that carried the older style pulley. It's that plastic bastard with the lips or a smooth metal one. I prefer the lips to help keep the belt from slopping off.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

you can rebuild those things if its metal. the bearing will press out easy enough. just need the number off the bearing to know what to replace it with. The plastic ones are over-molded around the bearing and you can't do anything with that. The magic is really in the bearing itself, and honestly there just aren't that many people making bearings. An arbor press is the right tool for the job, a hammer and a socket is another option that will work in a pinch. C clamp would also do it if you can fixture it up properly and you have a beefy enough C clamp.

There were complete assemblies available at one time. Pretty sure the one on my car is a Motorshaft and its got a bolt-on idler, and it came with a new pivot bracket. The original looked just like it. No snap ring involved.
          Last edited by gadget73; 07-06-2015, 06:00 PM.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
          X