No announcement yet.

after a drive no start issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Edit: just saw gadget's post. I also know nothing about CFI but I do agree that temp sensor(s) would be the next thing to look at.

Since it's temperature related check the temperature sensors (ACT and ECT). since the tech had to floor it to get it to start it seems like maybe the computer isn't controllung the fuel injection properly because it's not getting proper temp input.

To see if this theory can hold any water check the resistance charts for each sensor:
    http://www.grandmarq.net/oldfuelinjection/page29.html
    http://www.grandmarq.net/oldfuelinjection/page28.html

When the car acts up, you can also try unplugging one of the sensors and see if it will start with it unplugged. If it does start I wouldn't be too quick to blame that sensor without verifying the resistance. I replaced my ECT (for not quite the same issue you have) after I unplugged and the car ran better I assumed it was that sensor. It turned out the problem with as still there with a new sensor, so I think unplugging that sensor only helped the computer compensate for some other problem I guess.
    Last edited by VicCrownVic; 03-06-2016, 04:03 PM.
    Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
    ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
    ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
    ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Is it possible to pull codes of my 84? If so how?
      Would the sensor be the E.E.C sensor? I found one on Rock auto.

Thanks
      Tim
      Last edited by over2tonsofFun; 03-06-2016, 08:33 PM.
      2000 Ford Crown Victoria
      84 Lincoln Town car signature, R.I.P
      85 Ford LTD Crown Victoria 2 door performance project
      89 Lincoln town car: RIP
      89 Crown Victoria LX 2002 USACi sound quality world champion RIP
      1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS
      1994 Mercury Grand Marquis (sold)
      2004 Mercury Marauder. owned for a week then got screwed by the dealer

Comment

Try this to get codes for free: http://www.grandmarq.net/oldfuelinjection/page13.html
        1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
        1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
        Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
        Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

There is no "EEC sensor". The engine computer is the EEC, and it has multiple sensors. The specific ones I had in mind are the coolant temp sensor or ECT, and the air temperature sensor, sometimes called the ACT or IAT for air charge temperature or intake air temperature. I think there is an air temp sensor, but I won't guarantee it. I know its definitely got the coolant sensor tho.

Yes, you can fetch codes. Count the blinks. Warm it up first, otherwise you will get codes that may not be valid.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

This may seem stupid, but have you checked any general maintenance things? How is your ignition coil, spark plugs and wires? Also maybe check on the fuel filter..

My 1986 was having an issue starting due to a bad ignition coil and dirty IAC with worn out gasket, (and a screwed up power steering pump) I do not know what can be cleaned out on a 1984 to help also make sure any accessories arent screwed up. Like power steering. I replaced my TFI and nothing really happened. Sometimes it's the dumb shit that causes issues.

I found out my coil was wonky by trying to start the car with it barely above the dizzy cap. However I did get zapped the first time so be carefull. When it failed to start up I moved up the wire above it an itch. Blue and white arc straight to it car came to live only to strangled to death by a dirty IAC and a faulty ps pump.

Comment

Working...
            X