No announcement yet.

What to look for in a box?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alright thanks guys. Got some knowledge. I love people that list everything works in their ads. You know, except 2/4 windows

Comment

^^^ Hahaha.

Everyone pretty much nailed it. Make sure the vin number on the door matches the one on the vin tag. If seller claims less than 100k miles or something the steering should be tight, with no slop at all. Feel/examine the door edges for rust. Pull back the carpet in the trunk where the spare tire sits or behind the wheel wells, if it's crusty there walk away. Excessive squeaks and rattles mean it's been molested a lot. I tend to buy things that don't look molested so if I see dumb wires running all over the hood or bolts and stuff jammed in vacuum lines I walk away. Walk away from a car with an oil cap that looks worn too. Only wears out when used a lot which probably means excessive oil consumption. On that note, check the fluids. If it's cold open up the radiator first and peer in there. Then check the coolant overflow bottle. If there's nothing in the bottle and the radiator is low, walk away. If the coolant overflow bottle/radiator is all rusty looking or has evidence of prior rusty coolant (You'll see scabby red crap all over the walls) walk away. Walk away if the coolant is brownish or has oily residue in it. Radiator, thermostat, heater core and/or water pump will probably fail in short order. Check the power steering fluid and surrounding areas for leaks. They like to leak right at the pump so check along the bottom & the lines. They also can leak around the steering box if that seal has failed. Also, extremely low or high fluid or fluid color other than red indicated that system has been messed with. Pump should be quiet unless it was ran low or the steering wheel held at lock for extended periods of time. Check the trans fluid & smell it. Burned smelling stuff indicates near death or worn out clutches. Check this when hot, should be within the cross hatch, if not, been tampered with. Lastly, check da oil. Should be between black & brown. If it's sludgy black I'd walk away. If it looks like a chocolate shake, walk away.
      1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
      1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

All good info ^^
        When driving it, does it pull to either side, wander from side to side? Does it pull or shudder when braking? Is idle steady? Smoke on startup or heavy acceleration? Is the engine filthy? Signs of leakage?

87 Ford LTD Crown Victoria Country Squire Station Wagon. 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, Boxed LCA's, Explorer Intake, 65mm T-body, 'Stang Cam, 'Stang Air tube, K&N, GT-40X Heads, 1" Spacer, 1 5/8 BBK's, 2.5" Pypes X-pipe w/high flow cats, Single Chamber Thunderbolts, B&M 'vertor, Po-lice Swaybars.

91 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park Station Wagon. K-Code, 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, MK VII LSC Engine, 'Stang Upper Intake, Stang Air Tube, K&N, 65 mm T-Body, 'Stang Headers, 'Stang Cat Pipe,'Stang Torque Convertor, 2 Chamber Thunderbolts.

Comment

Does the car have a smell of balls? Or a slight lingering smell? Of balls.

1985.03 Crown Vic. Coupe "CVGT" Build thread - china whirlybird, burnout machine.
          The only 6 speed box on a late model frame.

Originally posted by SVT98t
          It has air ride. I've disabled it since I've been jacking it up and down.

That is how you're supposed to jack it.

Up and down.

-ryan s.

Comment

is that a selling point for you?
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

My '86 Tudor does not have one.
              Originally posted by tjc78 View Post
              Pretty sure 86 was a rod setup.

Comment

Ok, I just knew it was different in some way to the 87+
                2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
                2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
                Past Panthers
                1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
                if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

My car had that rod garbage stock, with the CFI. I still have it, don't know why.

1985.03 Crown Vic. Coupe "CVGT" Build thread - china whirlybird, burnout machine.
                  The only 6 speed box on a late model frame.

Originally posted by SVT98t
                  It has air ride. I've disabled it since I've been jacking it up and down.

That is how you're supposed to jack it.

Up and down.

-ryan s.

Comment

All sound advice. Also, beware of cars that have hauled a ton of drywall or been excessively "fucked in". If you're looking at a car with a vinyl top, make sure the top is in good shape, as they can be pricey to replace and deteriorate quickly when they start going. If you're looking at a car with power seats, make sure all functions are working properly, as this can be fun stuff to fix. Ask me how I know...

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                      The 86 is a different TV cable that doesn't have the bushing problem.

If the bushing is still mostly there and the trans seems to work OK, its probably OK. Its a simple job to swap it and keep things happy. If the bushing is just gone, you ought to be as well
                      So my '86 MGM Tudor has no bushing?

Comment

correct
                        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                        X