Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New guy. Possibly joining the community.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by VicCrownVic View Post
    Welcome!

Panther is the name of the platform that these cars are built on. Crown Victoria, Grand Marquis, Town Car, and the (early 80s only) Mark series (don't recall which number, IV?).
    Thanks Vic. I was hoping it meant something like, deceptively powerful and fast.
    1991 Mercury Grand Marquis LE SOLD

1972 Ford F100 Custom - 5.9 - Stock

2011 Ford Fusion SE - 2.5 - Stock

2018 Toyota Highlander XLE

Comment

Yep, given the opportunity to grab one of these in good shape is well worth it. It won't take but a day or two you'll look forward to driving it whenever possible. Then come the mods. Exhaust, then engine upgrades, perhaps suspension or brakes. These cars are a great combination of old and new. You get classic styling with lots of chrome and more "vintage" looks, with the modern conveniences like a/c, varable-speed wipers, etc. When running properly they get pretty good gas mileage too. What's not to like?

If you don't want it I guarantee there'll be some folks on here that'll be beating down your door wanting to know where it is

Comment

Welcome home.
        Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

Comment

You mention three daughters - I grew up riding in a big-body Oldsmobile Delta 88 with two siblings. Althought there is NEVER enough room with three, these big cars are pretty comfortable for a large family.

As previously stated, we are FANS of a car. A car alot of other people would think are too big, too impractical, too outdated to even bother with. But these cars, especially the 1991 and older (box) models, ate just loaded with charm, something rarely found in today's cars. And they are just so plush!
          Back in the saddle again!

2004 Crown Victoria Police Interceptor in Unimaginative Bureaucratic Brown
          Bone stock... for now.

Comment

Originally posted by knucklehead0202 View Post
            ..These cars are a great combination of old and new. You get classic styling with lots of chrome and more "vintage" looks, with the modern conveniences like a/c, varable-speed wipers, etc. When running properly they get pretty good gas mileage too. What's not to like?...
            You hit right there. Why I drive 'em. I'd drive 70's & 60's shit if it weren't for the carpitators (carburetors), even shittier power ratings, lack of overdrive and other convenience stuff.

I had duals put on my box TC with Walker Turbo mufflers and it has a nice rumble to it. Quiet on the expressway but rumbly around town. However, when I drive Ashley's '89 Town Car I really love how quiet hers is. Might be changing mine back to quiet mufflers.
            1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
            1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Originally posted by sxcpotatoes View Post
              Welcome home.
              LOL, thanks all. I'm going to try and buy it from him. Hopefully I'll be back soon with more questions. Cheers! -Justin

Comment

I see the car is in Texas. You in Texas too? Im in Austin the next couple of days for work and hitting up the salt lick for dinner tonight. Any chance you heard of it/work there? Stranger things have happened. I mean look at your username!
                ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

I'll just mention one more, on my list of must-do mods: 3G alternator upgrade. Both for safety reasons and have good idle output because hitting the brake pedal with a stocker 2G alternator is enough to dim the headlights.

If you are familiar with GM products, Panther chassis would be the equivalent of A-body, G-body, X-body designations.

Alex.

Comment

Thanks Alex! I need to do a 3g swap on my f100 too. When you give it some gas the headlights get brighter.

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
                      I see the car is in Texas. You in Texas too? Im in Austin the next couple of days for work and hitting up the salt lick for dinner tonight. Any chance you heard of it/work there? Stranger things have happened. I mean look at your username!
                      I work in Austin. I live in Buda (between Austin and Driftwood). Good choice on the Salt Lick. Family style will be the way to go. Ask for the burnt ends.

Comment

Just finished up. Family style is what we did. Burnt ends and all.
                        ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                        My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                        My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                        But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                        my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by GM_Guy View Post
                          I'll just mention one more, on my list of must-do mods: 3G alternator upgrade. Both for safety reasons and have good idle output because hitting the brake pedal with a stocker 2G alternator is enough to dim the headlights...

Alex.
                          This. Plus if you do that & hit the blinkers at the same time they run horribly slow and then don't even think of running the defrost or wipers at the same time. LoL. Swapping out that old turd for a 3G is now a must for any box I own. With that it's like a modern car, you can run everything at idle with minimal (if any) effect. Ashley is jealous of my TC She's a miser though, so since her alternator is fine she won't do the mod until it fails and is 100% aware my good one is on the shelf...
                          1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                          1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Dang it, the 3g is that thing that keeps getting back-burnered. My 2g was replaced right before I got the car and I don't notice any lack of power, but I'd rather do it before it becomes an issue. Oh well, top-end first, then i'll starting knocking the other stuff off the list. I've been accused of doing things backward before...

Comment

Swapping out that old turd for a 3G is now a must for any box I own. With that it's like a modern car, you can run everything at idle with minimal (if any) effect.
                              The 3G I put on my box load tested out to 165 amps. Total load on it with everything getting turned on was something in the order of 75 or 80 amps. Look up the specs on the hvac blower draw, that alone is half the capacity of the stock 2G. But it was nice not "flashing" your headlights at people at night when you tapped the brakes. 3G is an excellent alternator and an easy swap for anything.

Alex.

Comment

Got the car! Drove it home last night

Comment

Working...
                                X