Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Orange fuel filter retaining clip, can't find a replacement.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The only different thing about he '91 filter I recall is the way it's attached to the frame rail - it uses a steel bracket and a big worm-drive clamp (like a hose clamp really), as opposed to many of the earlier models where the filter sits in a plastic cup with hole on the bottom (for the inlet fuel line IIRC) which bolts to the face of a steel bracket that also has a hole in the middle (for the outlet fuel line). I like the hose-clamp setup better - it has no plastic parts to crack and semi-threaded screw holes to strip out, and once you pop the clamp off you can now tilt the filter any way you want it to easily direct the draining gasoline wherever you want it.
    The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
    The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

Oh yeah that's right, I forgot all about that different mounting since I haven't been under my '89 in a few years. I only remembered that the fuel filter and lines were the same.
      Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
      ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
      ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
      ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

That gives with my memory as well, fuel line couplers are the same as the old stuff. Now if you move up to the fuel tank area, things are different there - you get front-load sender/pump setup (still lockring-retained tho, no 6 bolts like the later ones) with braided stainless lines and the type of couplers that require a special tool to disconnect them (or a piece of plastic air line if you're creative with it).
        The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.

Comment

Can you replace the pump assembly on a 91 without dropping the tank?

I threw the old one away but here's the best representation I could find of the old:

And the new:

Upon looking a little closer, the line might have been replaced at some time when I previously thought it was stock. There were zip ties holding it along the frame etc.

Sent from my XT830C using Tapatalk

Comment

Shit Bill that's under a '91? The bracket under my '90 is nothing like that. Don't recall what the connectors look like but i'll check when I get the car back. Weird though, just weird.

Comment

ungodly clean looking under there.
              ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
              My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
              My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
              But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
              my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

That picture is from an F150 or a Ranger I think. The quick connect fitting and orange clip were the same as what I had. I just used that pic because I had already thrown mine away lol sorry for the confusion.

Comment

My bracket was mostly rusted away, only thing holding the filter in place is the large clamp.

Comment

The fuel filter bracket on my blue '91 was in the same condition so I grabbed another one from the JY, cleaned it, painted it and slapped it on.

I think you can change the fuel pump/sending unit assembly without dropping the tank but dad and I dropped the tank anyway when the in tank hose split on the blue '91.
                    Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
                    ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                    ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
                    ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Just make sure the fuel level is down pretty far before you attempt it, otherwise you're getting a gasoline shower.
                      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Oh boy that sounds like a real good time lol. I plan on taking it out to see if it's the stock one. I may replace it for preventative maintenance. I always have the worst luck getting caught with a dead pump...usually from previous owners using the cheapest local replacements they can find. Any thoughts on the Carter pump assembly for these cars? I've used them on others with excellent results.

Comment

Carter is OEM for many vehicles, draw your own conclusions. Airtex is to be avoided if the particular unit is not made in the USA, check the box for country of origin. Bosch is also OEM, reliable and stuff.

Don't mess with the tank unless you're replacing it. If you need to replace the straps do them one at a time. Fuel pump comes out the front on that model year, have fun with the lockring if it's rusty - get a new lockring and o-ring seal from the parts store. Since old fuel pump is still running just use it to empty the tank - disconnect the engine-side line from the fuel filter, replace it with a regular hose and lead end of said hose into a fuel jug, then juts replace the fuel pump relay under the hood with a piece of 12-awg wire with spade connectors on each and and go have a drink or snack while the pump is doing the dirty work for you.

Comment

Working...
                          X