No announcement yet.

1994 f-150 motor into Vic?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm a TIG welder, well trained to be. Can't find a job willing to hire a fresh out of school tig welder so I'm doing temp jobs. Honestly not looking for massive power gains. In fact I'm more worried about fuel economy. Hilarious right considering where I am. But my old motor got 21mpg. If this new one can get at least 20 I'd be happy. Low end torque sounds like it would help me.

I can do welding. I just need to know what material. If it's aluminum that isn't gutter trash cast I might stand a chance with my buzz box.

From the sounds of it I should jump on that other intake with tb
    Last edited by DrHax; 03-03-2017, 01:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by His Royal Ghostliness View Post
      Mass air gets complicated and expensive quick, I'm thinking he's better off just doing the standard HO stuff. Hell I'd be very tempted to run the truck cam too, especially if the rear axle is not geared numerically-high. Most of the trucks that got the 302 also got 3.55 or faster gears, load-wise and empty F150 with 3.55s would be similar to a Panther with 3.08s so I'd imagine the truck cam will make that engine pull pretty good down low and while it does run out of steam in the high RPMs the axle gearing will prevent the engine from actually revving up very high.

Wish you had mentioned somewhere you needed an ECM for the connector, got a whole pile here of lo-po and other stuff that will never get used...
      What about F150s getting the differently geared? E4OD?

1985.03 Crown Vic. Coupe "CVGT" Build thread - china whirlybird, burnout machine.
      The only 6 speed box on a late model frame.

Originally posted by SVT98t
      It has air ride. I've disabled it since I've been jacking it up and down.

That is how you're supposed to jack it.

Up and down.

-ryan s.

Comment

Originally posted by DrHax View Post
        I'm a TIG welder, well trained to be. Can't find a job willing to hire a fresh out of school tig welder so I'm doing temp jobs. Honestly not looking for massive power gains. In fact I'm more worried about fuel economy. Hilarious right considering where I am. But my old motor got 21mpg. If this new one can get at least 20 I'd be happy. Low end torque sounds like it would help me.

I can do welding. I just need to know what material. If it's aluminum that isn't gutter trash cast I might stand a chance with my buzz box.
        The shafts and lever are both steel on both throttle bodies, so piece of cake there. Watch your temperatures tho, there's a plastic bushing with a spring wrapped around it that rides on the shaft, very easy to melt it. You'll see what it all looks like when you get to doing the thing, it's really no big deal with a MIG, so I'd imagine TIG will be even easier. Also, check your inbox.

Originally posted by Bobcat View Post
        What about F150s getting the differently geared? E4OD?
        The E4OD also has a stupid-loose torque converter cause it's a lockup clutch design so they can get away with it stalling higher. Good for getting heavy things to move, but still about as sluggish off the line as a Panther.
        The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
        The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

Best set up for economy for me was
          ported E7 heads
          ported lower intake
          Ported LOPO upper
          HO TB
          HO cam
          Mass air
          After market shorty headers 1 5/8
          Aftermarket Mustang H pipe connected to stock dual exhaust
          3.55 gears but thoughts are 3.27s might be better
          Make sure EGR is working properly.
          Torq ended up 270 @ 2400 rpm, 300 @ 3400 & 270 @ 4600
          Netted 20 to 22 in town and 27 to 32.9 highway
          Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

That sounds pretty close to what I'll be running. Hey I am liking the sounds of this. I'm noticing a lot of porting mentioned. I'm wondering if that's something I can do at home without too much work.

Comment

If one dosent know what their doing its possible to damage air flow ability. Also the tool to do it can become pricy too

Comment

Pricey and don't know what they're doing leaves me out of that equation..

Worked out a good deal to get the parts I need with ghost. Just need to get a quote for shipping. Hopefully everything will go well.

Comment

I'll take care of it, just gimme a bit, kinda busy with this one car that just never stops giving me the finger, lol
                  The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.

Comment

Best bang for the buck usually around 500 a reman set is the GT40 heads. They dont flow as well as most SBF heads ported but are the best flowing as cast factory heads

Comment

People contacted me yesterday they have the motor out and ready to go. So I'll be picking it up tomorrow.

Comment

Got the motor home today. The winds in on are something legendary today. Made the trip back a bit interesting and nerve racking.

The motor is really clean. They only cut off useless lines and looks like the exhaust manifolds for the truck engine had rusted studs they cut. Not that I care that much.

But everything looks really clean.

Comment

Got the motor home today. The winds in on are something legendary today. Made the trip back a bit interesting and nerve racking.
                          You should really try it with a complete diesel engine some day, of the kind that weigh in about 1000lbs and are a bit on the tall side. Actually make that two of those beast, in one compact truck. Fun you shall have alright

Comment

You should really try it with a complete diesel engine some day, of the kind that weigh in about 1000lbs and are a bit on the tall side. Actually make that two of those beast, in one compact truck. Fun you shall have alright
                            That may have actually helped with the 60mph winds we had.

There's parts of corn stalks wrapped around the aerial from all of the wind rushing about.

Comment

That may have actually helped with the 60mph winds we had.
                              Nope, just the opposite - you get not only some more surface for the wind to beat on, but also a good bit higher center or gravity to make thing even more unstable than it already is. Good for downhill MPG tho

There's parts of corn stalks wrapped around the aerial from all of the wind rushing about.
                              Now that is impressive.

Btw I haven't forgotten about your parts, kinda of under the gun right now with too many things going on and not enough time for all of them, things should calm down in a day or two tho.

Comment

Nope, just the opposite - you get not only some more surface for the wind to beat on, but also a good bit higher center or gravity to make thing even more unstable than it already is. Good for downhill MPG tho

Now that is impressive.

Btw I haven't forgotten about your parts, kinda of under the gun right now with too many things going on and not enough time for all of them, things should calm down in a day or two tho.
                                Honestly take your time my paychecks got skimpy from the two back to back plagues my family brought home. So after bills I have no idea how much I'll have left over.

At least I got the motor home safely. Now only if I had a good way to move it around. Or a place to work on it.

Comment

Working...
                                X