No announcement yet.

Engine Skip & Peristent Rough Idle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's what it seems to be with these, if they've got the symptoms you've described. I have a spare ready to drop in should my car start flaking.
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Sigh, here we go again. I think I got hit with a dose a Chinesium quality parts. The wagon was behaving fine about halfway through its test drive (super smooth), then a hesitation reappeared at low RPM under load. Got home and the idle was stupid again. Unplugged the SPOUT and it behaves like the old one did. Keep SPOUT in, runs crappy like the old one did. I got a Spectra Premium, fwiw. Not what I really wanted, but was available short notice. I'll try warranty swapping it and seeing where it goes.

It's funny, it was running spot on immediately after the swap, just like it did before I went to PA. I doubt the pickup is anything really high quality since everything is branded as MADE IN CHINA.

My Cars:
      -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
      -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
      -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
      -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

I've been told you can swap the pickup if you remove the spider from the top and then fish the pickup out. I've never tried it, but maybe worth a shot. The only one I've had to do personally I took apart by the book, using a press to remove and install the gear after knocking the pin out of it. Kind of a pain in the ass honestly, if you don't get it lined up exactly right you have to remove it and try again.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Yesterday I put in the Motorcraft copper plugs and today I tossed in the replacement distributor. I slapped a Motorcraft TFI module on it and used heat sink compound. I re-used the BWD cap and rotor since I wasn't a fan of the new distributor's stuff.

After managing to have a few failed starts because 1.) I forgot to put the coil wire on, and 2.) Didn't plug the TFI in well , I got it started. Idle settled down easily and I did not have the excessively rich fuel smell. Couldn't detect any misses, so it went on a road test with the SPOUT in. I experienced no studdering into the OD engagement and light throttle applications resulted in smooth acceleration.

The only time there's a slight bucking is when the car engages 3rd gear at 25 MPH with low throttle (like in a neighborhood). I think that's just the engine being lugged at low RPM, because once you get to 30 MPH, it's smooth.

If you're wondering how much fuel it was wasting with a pooched PIP, it managed 13 MPG. The worst mileage I'd had previously was 14.3 MPG flogging it down the interstate around 80-85 MPH.

My Cars:
          -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
          -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
          -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
          -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

Working...
          X