Oil leak...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil leak...

I have had a small oil leak for some time now on the '91... I always found oil puddling on the top of the timing case cover... sometimes alot sometimes a little... On the trip up to TN. it used a quart of oil.... on the way back none! So today, my mechanic, while checking something else, found what may have been causing the problem... The oil pressure sending unit was leaking! He thinks it was spraying the oil onto the top of the timing case cover, as it was leaking on the side of the sensor facing up, on top. He never started the car to see if it was dripping or spraying.. but he changed it out... because you could tell it was leaking bad... and so far, no new oil on the engine. (We thought originally it was the intake gasket in the front leaking) Hopefully this was all it was... alot cheaper than changing the intake gasket! Tom...

Agent Caitlin Todd… You know Tony, Statistics show that married men live longer…
    Agent Tony DiNozzo… It only seems longer….

http://www.tomspolicecars.com/

tom if it is pooling in the timing cover, it's probably the distributor o-ring leaking.........they get rock hard from the oil and heat and leak like crazy........wish you were closer.......i am good at pinpointing leaks
    scott

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
    2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
    1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
    1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
    2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
    1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

I found the oil leak on my wagon yesterday while tearing down the motor... the part of the timing cover gasket that goes across the top was sitting on the top of the cover! Hopefully, with this fresh motor and a good gear box, it won't be leaking, any more.
      2011 Mustang GT Premium, MT82, Kona/Saddle, HIDs, 3.73s, 19s, hood/side stripes, UPR 1.5" springs with adjustable panhard bar, and UMI solid LCAs and relocation brackets.
      1992 Explorer Eddie Bauer, slight lift, 34s, and A/C...
      1979 Bronco Custom, 351M/C6/NP205, 4" lift, 35s, lots of fender trimming.

Comment

That's a common leak, around the sending unit.
        '89 Ford LTD Crown Vic - '92 Ford F-150 Custom -
        '95 Ford Bronco XL -

sigpic :rebel:

Comment

Working...
        X