ROUGH IDLE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ROUGH IDLE

I HAVE A 1986 CROWN VIC. LTD WITH A 302. WHEN I FIRST START IT,IT RUNS ROUGH UNTILL IT WARMS UP.IS THE IAC MAKING IT DO THAT?I KNOW IT NEEDS A TUNE UP,BECAUSE IT HAS BEEN SITTING FOR A LONG TIME,BEFORE I BOUGHT IT.
    Attached Files

make me happy to see another 86 on here. I would blame the IAC as well. Maybe try upluging it before you start it cold. Then if it can stay running, plug it in and see if it goes back to being the same, then you can point at that with some more positiveness.

Comment

nice bumpers, wanna sell em'

Comment

Do a tune up and change the air and fuel filter before you even consider replacing any parts. It *could* be a bad IAC, but I'd lay blame on worn tune-up parts first.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I'd put my money on the IAC. Mine was doing the same sort of thing until I had it replaced. It would run really choppy...almost like it had a miss, and dark grey smoke would come out of the exhaust...but after driving it for a couple blocks, it would correct itself.
          You can take the man out of the Crown Vic, but you can't take the Crown Vic out of the man.

Comment

I agree with it probably being the IAC, but tune up parts are always a good idea to check/replace.
            Nick
            88 Colony Park LS
            G-pa's old car, but he's cruisin around heaven in his 69 wagon now
            Future plans:Semi HO conversion, or Explorer motor swap, shift kit, PI springs and sway bars, KYB-GR2 shocks

Comment

IAC either works or it doesn't. if its faulty the car will not idle (or idle irracticaly) all the time, cold, warm, hot, etc...

if it idles rough only when its cold I would suspect something else, like the CTS sensor. checking the ECM for trouble codes will point you in the right direction

As others have mentioned, do a full tune up (cap, rotor, wires, plugs, T/stat, fuel filter, PCV valve/grommet and screen)
              2003 Town Car Signature - 3.27 RAR, Dual exhaust and J-mod - SOLD 9/2011
              89 Crown Victoria LX HPP -- SOLD 9/2010
              88 Grand Marquis LS - The Original -- Totaled 5/2006

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

Comment

Originally posted by 88grandmarq
                IAC either works or it doesn't. if its faulty the car will not idle (or idle irracticaly) all the time, cold, warm, hot, etc...

if it idles rough only when its cold I would suspect something else, like the CTS sensor. checking the ECM for trouble codes will point you in the right direction

As others have mentioned, do a full tune up (cap, rotor, wires, plugs, T/stat, fuel filter, PCV valve/grommet and screen)
                I Think my IAC is bad, when i first start the car it will rev high for a few seconds like it should when its cold like 1500rpm than it will just drop and stumble around and just give enough gas to keep runnin and throw a CEL.

when i get drivin as soon as i tap the gas the light goes off. let off the gas its back on
                1999 CVPI
                Old Rides
                1988 Ford Mustang GT (trickflow stage 1)
                1989 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (5.SLO)
                1989 Ford Thunderbird SC (3.8 Supacharged)

Comment

CAPS SUCK!!! Welcome!!!! Ditto on that there stuff they just said.
                  2008 Mercury Grand Marquis GS Bone Stock

The modern definition of "racist" is "someone who is arguing with a Liberal".--updated Peter Brimelow quote.

Comment

Originally posted by trife86

I Think my IAC is bad, when i first start the car it will rev high for a few seconds like it should when its cold like 1500rpm than it will just drop and stumble around and just give enough gas to keep runnin and throw a CEL.

when i get drivin as soon as i tap the gas the light goes off. let off the gas its back on
                    what kind of car are we talking about ?

on a Box body CV/GM the check engine light comes on for 2 reasons .... low oil pressure, over heating.

the check engine light does NOT come on when the ECM sets codes.
                    My car has constant codes in it lately, check engine light has never come on.

If you car runs so poorly, check the ECM for stored trouble codes. I think you will find you have a faulty CTS or TPS.
                    2003 Town Car Signature - 3.27 RAR, Dual exhaust and J-mod - SOLD 9/2011
                    89 Crown Victoria LX HPP -- SOLD 9/2010
                    88 Grand Marquis LS - The Original -- Totaled 5/2006

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

Comment

Originally posted by Chachi
                      How far are you from Hazleton? Harry's has a CV there with smooth bumpers and they looked decent from what I saw. The only problem would be getting the rear off, since theres wheels under it holding it up.

Sorry for the thread hijack!
                      '89 Ford LTD Crown Vic - '92 Ford F-150 Custom -
                      '95 Ford Bronco XL -

sigpic :rebel:

Comment

Originally posted by blazingstang
                        CAPS SUCK!!! Welcome!!!! Ditto on that there stuff they just said.
                        Hey!! I think the Caps look good...I found an old school pic of my car, before it became mine!
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by 88grandmarq
                          Originally posted by trife86

what kind of car are we talking about ?

on a Box body CV/GM the check engine light comes on for 2 reasons .... low oil pressure, over heating.

the check engine light does NOT come on when the ECM sets codes.
                          My car has constant codes in it lately, check engine light has never come on.

If you car runs so poorly, check the ECM for stored trouble codes. I think you will find you have a faulty CTS or TPS.
                          my 89 marquis
                          1999 CVPI
                          Old Rides
                          1988 Ford Mustang GT (trickflow stage 1)
                          1989 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (5.SLO)
                          1989 Ford Thunderbird SC (3.8 Supacharged)

Comment

Originally posted by BoxMang
                            How far are you from Hazleton? Harry's has a CV there with smooth bumpers and they looked decent from what I saw. The only problem would be getting the rear off, since theres wheels under it holding it up.

Sorry for the thread hijack!
                            Total Est. Time: 4 hours, 21 minutes Total Est. Distance: 255.80 miles

Comment

bumpers

i also have a 89 ford crown vic,i dont know if they would fit,it is my parts car, i could sell them for 50 dollars for front and rear.i live in attleboro mass.

Comment

Working...
                              X