UPDATE: she's running, but no power is there

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Timing:
    Find the markings on the harmonic balancer. I find this easier to do from underneath the car. Crank might need to be rotated a little to get at them. The markings range from something like 14 ATDC to 14 BTDC. Make sure you are working on the BTDC side, and use a paint marker or piece of chalk to mark 10, 12, and 14.
    Up top, locate the timing pointer. Have a look above at 88grandMarq's pic, its on the passenger side of the engine, looking straight down from where the A/C should be.
    Unplug the SPOUT connector. this is a black 2 pin thing roughly the size of an automotive fuse. It'll be dangling in the wiring harness right next to the distributor.
    Connect your timing light's pickup to the #1 plug wire
    Loosen the distributor hold down bolt slightly.
    Start the engine and point the light at the marker.
    Rotate the distributor till the mark on the balancer lines up with the pointer.
    For stock timing, set it to 10 BTDC. If you want a bit more grunt, try 12 or 14.
    Tighten the distributor hold-down.
    Shut the engine off.
    re-install SPOUT.
    Disconnect timing light.
    Go for a spin. If it pings, and your timing is advanced past stock, retard it a bit till it stops, or run higher octane fuel.

As far as backpressure goes, the shorter the exhaust the more its gonna cut power at low end. Personally I'd say stop cutting parts of your exhaust off and get some pipes hung under there so it works properly.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Thanks Gadget, I'll try to do the timing early this week. As for exhaust, I hardly have anything else left to cut But if you're right abou the exhaust length, then why do some people run open headers? More power up higher in the rpm range, or what?

Comment

Yeah, less exhaust = less low end torque but high RPM gains. In a heavy car you need the low end more than the high end scream, especially with a lopo motor that can't flow enough air to be able to put the words "high" and "rpm" in the same sentance. If you had some badass drag motor then it would be a different story.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Oh, the breathing problems are gonna be adressed tomorrow too, I got some interesting ideas... Anyone know how much air (cfm or lbs/hr) a stock motor is sucking at WOT?

As for the torque-rpm relationship, I've noticed that if I keep the car in drive (3rd gear) at 40-50mph with almost no exhaust it's much more nimble than with the Y-pipe stuff, now getting to that speed is completely different story

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73
            Yeah, less exhaust = less low end torque but high RPM gains. In a heavy car you need the low end more than the high end scream, especially with a lopo motor that can't flow enough air to be able to put the words "high" and "rpm" in the same sentance. If you had some badass drag motor then it would be a different story.
            Good point,This is why i have kept my exhaust system stock as long as i have.

\'91 P72 Ford Crown Victoria 5.0L

Comment

Working...
            X