What would it cost ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What would it cost ?

I was thinking i would love to have my AOD swaped for a stick shift 5-speed.I do not have the knolage to do this so i would have to pay a shop to do the work for me.Has anyone here had this done by a shop and what did it cost ? Im just looking for an avarage price.

My AOD is a dog and feels like its getting weak.Would i be better off maybe just having a trans-go shift kit installed ?

\'91 P72 Ford Crown Victoria 5.0L

round $2500-$3000 dollars.
    1989 Lincoln Town Car - "Anabelle" - Original block, .030 over with SpeedPro pistons, rods fitted with ARP hardware, FRPP +volume oil pump, GT-40 3bar heads, Crane 1.72 rockers, 89' Fox cam, 93' Cobra lower intake, Explorer upper and 65mm TB, 93' Lightning EGR spacer, K&N intake kit from a 4.0L Ranger, 19lb/hr injectors w/ 87 Mark VII ECM, cat/smog deletes, Big Brake conversion, 3.55 K-Code Trac-Lok/Disc brake rear axle, CVPI LCA's w/1" sway bar in rear, wagon front sway bar, BBK 2.5" off-road H-Pipe, Flowmaster super 40s, HPP wheels, 3G alternator w/LMR.com wiring kit, gear reduction starter conversion, Best 1/4 time: 16.0 @ 85mph.

Comment

A transgo shift kit will really wake up the trans, for sure...

And why go and spend $$ on having a shop convert your car to a stick (unless you had scott do it)

You could do it yourself for about a grand...
      1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
      Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Didn't BlackandFlames on CVN have most of his swap done at a shop, or did he just have them do the clutch linkage? BTW his car is friggin sweet!

2009 Ford F-350 6.4 powerstroke diesel. 1977 Ford F-150 built 300 six, 5 speed trans. 1976 MG MGB roadster, 359w, t5 5 speed. 1996 Kawasaki ninja ZX6R.
        My rod is glowing, my bead is clean, my middle name is acetylene

Comment

Hey, Scott happens to know a good tranny guy....
          wide-ratio AODs are all the rage.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

yea the wide ratio aod is the wave of teh future :rock:
            seriously most shops are gonna price you out of town for a 5 speed conversion.......just something not done easilly or cheaply
            i would also consider the weaknesses of the t5.........these are HEAVY! cars lol. hard use may lead to breakage lol
            get some prices locally, i'd be interested in helping u if it's worth the trip to pa in $ savings lol
            scott

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
            2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
            1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
            1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
            2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
            1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Just an idea - what about a truck tranny? Off a 302/351 2WD F150 for example - wouldn't that handle the weight well?

Comment

A truck trans would work...but is pretty junky and well, it'd be like driving a truck. the gearing is low for torque and hauling.

A wide ratio AOD, or just a nicely built AOD with a shift kit and a stall converter makes it a whole different car.
                Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Originally posted by mrltd
                  the gearing is low for torque and hauling.
                  Wouldn't a 2.74 rear end fix that nicely? Plus you'll get the benefit of more teeth being engaged at the same time, meaning less chance of stripping the gears.

As far as the shift kit goes, which will be better for a stock AOD - Trans-Go's shift improver kit (around $30), or the racing kit ($100)? I'm about to put one in my tranny, and I have two weeks to do it before we close for winter break.

Comment

Actually, the higher the gearing (numerically lower) the more stress is put on the rest of the drivetrain. And do you really need a granny gear in a vic? LOL

Get the shift improver kit. I had a racing kit in my 87 and it was insanely harsh. would grab 2nd and 3rd at part throttle. Also would give you whiplash. Ultimately I think thats what killed my tranny. The punishing shifts.
                    Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Originally posted by mrltd
                      Actually, the higher the gearing (numerically lower) the more stress is put on the rest of the drivetrain.
                      Yes, that is correct, but that's why the truck tranny is geared so low, right?
                      And do you really need a granny gear in a vic? LOL
                      Who cares, if the end result is something faster than a wide-ratio AOD with 3.73 rears :evil:

Oh, and thanks for the SK info, improver it is By the way, does that buddy of yours still have the 4.10 gears for sale?

Comment

Originally posted by Grand_Marquis_GT
                        Yea, one of those would be great!!!

:evil:
                        2000 Grand Marquis LS
                        2000 F150 XLT 6 inches of lift.
                        1987 Bill Blass Mark VII - Sold
                        1985 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park- SOLD. to a little old lady
                        Mercury Owners Group member
                        Save The Whales, Restore an Old Station Wagon!!

Comment

Lentech....

Comment

Originally posted by 85MercPark
                            Originally posted by Grand_Marquis_GT
                            Yea, one of those would be great!!!

:evil:
                            Sorry mang, I am using it in my trans... It needs it!
                            1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
                            Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Just joshin ya.

2000 Grand Marquis LS
                              2000 F150 XLT 6 inches of lift.
                              1987 Bill Blass Mark VII - Sold
                              1985 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park- SOLD. to a little old lady
                              Mercury Owners Group member
                              Save The Whales, Restore an Old Station Wagon!!

Comment

Working...
                              X