coolant leaks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

coolant leaks

there is some significant coolant leakage out of the back and front of my engine :cuss: The rear seems to drip off of the transmission bellhousing where it meets the torque converter and the front drips off behind the drivers side fuel line, down the block. There is also coolant pooling in groove behind the timing cover where it meets the block. I tightened all the hoses, could it be my lower intake to block gaskets?? I put them on with a bead of RTV, then the feltpro blue rubber gasket things, then another bead of RTV on top. first timer on a lower intake so maybe I :guns: it up
    1989 Lincoln Town Car - "Anabelle" - Original block, .030 over with SpeedPro pistons, rods fitted with ARP hardware, FRPP +volume oil pump, GT-40 3bar heads, Crane 1.72 rockers, 89' Fox cam, 93' Cobra lower intake, Explorer upper and 65mm TB, 93' Lightning EGR spacer, K&N intake kit from a 4.0L Ranger, 19lb/hr injectors w/ 87 Mark VII ECM, cat/smog deletes, Big Brake conversion, 3.55 K-Code Trac-Lok/Disc brake rear axle, CVPI LCA's w/1" sway bar in rear, wagon front sway bar, BBK 2.5" off-road H-Pipe, Flowmaster super 40s, HPP wheels, 3G alternator w/LMR.com wiring kit, gear reduction starter conversion, Best 1/4 time: 16.0 @ 85mph.

Could be the coolant lines that run to the EGR spacer. on the back Have fun!

Also, I guess it could be the intake you will have to check it while its running and see if you can pinpoint the leaks.
    Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

did you Torque the intake bolts to the proper torque and use the proper tightening sequence?

If not, take off the upper intake and torque the lower intake manifold bolts to 25 ft lbs and follow the correct tightening sequence (found in any chilton/haynes repair manual)
      2003 Town Car Signature - 3.27 RAR, Dual exhaust and J-mod - SOLD 9/2011
      89 Crown Victoria LX HPP -- SOLD 9/2010
      88 Grand Marquis LS - The Original -- Totaled 5/2006

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

Comment

I did exactly that, but the first time I did it i forgot the frontmost drivers side bolt. :drug: but i torqued them all to 25
        1989 Lincoln Town Car - "Anabelle" - Original block, .030 over with SpeedPro pistons, rods fitted with ARP hardware, FRPP +volume oil pump, GT-40 3bar heads, Crane 1.72 rockers, 89' Fox cam, 93' Cobra lower intake, Explorer upper and 65mm TB, 93' Lightning EGR spacer, K&N intake kit from a 4.0L Ranger, 19lb/hr injectors w/ 87 Mark VII ECM, cat/smog deletes, Big Brake conversion, 3.55 K-Code Trac-Lok/Disc brake rear axle, CVPI LCA's w/1" sway bar in rear, wagon front sway bar, BBK 2.5" off-road H-Pipe, Flowmaster super 40s, HPP wheels, 3G alternator w/LMR.com wiring kit, gear reduction starter conversion, Best 1/4 time: 16.0 @ 85mph.

Comment

well... one other thing, there is a right way and wrong way to install the intake gasket. Not sure about the other brand gaskets, but the felpro gaskets are stamped "HEAD SIDE". installing them backwards will obviously cause a leak(s)
          2003 Town Car Signature - 3.27 RAR, Dual exhaust and J-mod - SOLD 9/2011
          89 Crown Victoria LX HPP -- SOLD 9/2010
          88 Grand Marquis LS - The Original -- Totaled 5/2006

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

Comment

pretty sure I did em right, I looked behind the lower intake and it was dry as a bone around that area. I have to take off the upper anyways to re-do the vacuum hoses cuz i routed them wrong and i used a crappy gasket on the EGR to upper intake AND i want to get my upper bead blasted inside.

Comment

Its not the steel pipe that runs front to back on the intake for the heater core feed leaking or rusty is it? If you're leaking around the timing cover, either the water pump gasket is leaking, its seeping around the bolt threads (mine is doing this) or the block to timing cover gasket is leaking.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
              X