No announcement yet.

High Idle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good point about the alternator. That can cause assorted wierd conditions when the battery voltage gets low.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

If you carefully remove the IAC motor, you should not need a new gasket. You can also test to see if the IAC is working properly by unplugging the wire connector to the motor while the car is running. If the car dies when you unplug it, the motor and valve is working properly. If the car continues to run, the motor or valve is stuck.

You should still remove it and clean it though.

~Adam

'85 2-Door Crown Victoria
      302 HO, -0.022" E7 Heads, Weiand Dual Plane Intake, Edelbrock 1406 Carb, Mechanical Fuel Pump, HEI Distributor, 180* T-stat, Transgo Shift Kit, HO Governor, Lokar TV/Throttle Cable Setup, B&M Torq Master 2000 RPM Stall Converter, FRPP Trans Cooler, Mustang Shorty Headers, 2.25" Dual Exhaust, Flowtech H-pipe (no converters), Hooker AeroChamber Mufflers, Side-exit Exhaust w/ Chromed 2.5" Tips, '02 PI F/R Shocks, Cut 2004 PI Front Springs in the Rear, PI Rear Sway Bar, 17" SAP Wheels, 245/50/Z17 Michelin Pilot A/S Tires, Cold A/C, Cruise Control, 4.10 Rear End Gears, Trac Lok Diff.
      '04 Crown Victoria LX Sport, '02 Jeep Liberty
      '83 Suzuki GS 1100E Motorcycle[/color]

Comment

OK .... i replaced the IAC and the idle is still high. or maybe it is supose to be high as it is now? i need to put a tach on it... any recomendations on any certain tachs to put on it? it is a 89 CV. anyways, all i know is that the idle was WAY lower before i used the throttle body cleaner and now it wont go down.

what else could it be other than timeing? help me out please, thanks

Comment

It's more than likely a vacuum leak, but you could have purchased a dead IAC. Unplug the new one while the motor is running. If it stalls, the IAC is good. If the motor still runs, exchange the IAC for another. If the motor stalls, chances are good you have a vacuum leak somewhere.
          Save a seal, club a liberal.

Comment

IACs suck from parts stores. I go motorcraft for those...
            1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
            Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Make sure the throttle body is closing fully. It might have some gunk knocked loose from cleaning thats keeping it from shutting all the way.
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

ok cleaned the TB some more, and it still idles high...
                could it be the EGR valve? or a vacume leak? ...
                and where would the vacume leak be at? ..

please help cause i am tired of the idle being so high , thanks

Comment

Originally posted by beep_beep
                  ok cleaned the TB some more, and it still idles high...
                  could it be the EGR valve? or a vacume leak? ...
                  and where would the vacume leak be at? ..

please help cause i am tired of the idle being so high , thanks
                  How high is the idle? Can the car "idle itself to speed", meaning if you let off the brake, it takes off instead of creeping a little? Also, is it hard to get into gear?

If its really abonormally high, most likely its a vacumm leak. Your going to just have to check all the hoses. Check the vacumm tree on the passenger side firewall first, it uses all shitty plastic lines that brake easily. Check behind the upper intake, there is small vacumm tree there that uses the same shitty plastic vacumm lines. Check the brake booster's vacumm lines, the pcv vacumm hose (not the one on the brake booster, the one between the tb & oil cap), and the egr valve. I wouldn't pull the upper intake to check for vacumm leaks unless you can hear a vacumm leak from under there.

If the vacumm lines check out, clean the egr valve and the egr passages into the lower intake. Before you do this, go to your parts store and buy the egr valve gasket, since you will have to replace it once you take the valve off. You can also test if the egr is bad by checking if the valve is opening properly.

Clogged injectors or a clogged pcv valve will result in a high and rough idle also, might want to run some seafoam through both. Check the timing also, if its advanced it will idle higher than normal since the engine is "racing" by getting in more spark faster. My car with 14 degrees of timing would idle high now (summertime) and be able to idle itself around a parking lot, so I had to back it down to 10btdc. Didn't ping or set it incorrectly, its just the way the humidity was effecting the motor.

If everything else checks out, buy a code scanner, it makes diagonosing problems on an efi much easier. There are too many sensors that can affect the idle and you might end up replacing all of them before finding the correct one. No need to really do that, a sensor should either work or it doesn't, no inbetween with the exception of the TPS.
                  Current rides - 1991 Ford Thunderbird 3.8 v6 (gas saver/DD) - New Heads/Headgaskets with ARP studs, Air Silencer Delete, 70mm MAF, Plasti-dipped Matte Black with a Silver Metalflake Overlay, Muffler Delete, some LED's, 30.233 MPG for high MPG average!
                  2006 Jeep Wrangler 4WD (fun vehicle/backup DD) - 4.0/6spd - too many mods to list.

Associated Panthers:
                  Father's 1994 Ford Crown Victoria - Stock, 45,000 miles.
                  Sold in 2007 - 1987 Mercury Grand Marquis LS "Grandpa Special" 2 door.
                  http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2128327

Comment

- dang that is alot of stuf ...
                    - well when i let off the brake it doesnt roll forward ...
                    - about the timing, i had mentioned that before, but someone told me to leave it alone lol ... so i will probably have it checked ... what is stock timing???
                    - i dont want to swap out the TB and stuf if i dont have to lol

Comment

Timing is 10 BTDC with the SPOUT unplugged.

Have you put a tach on this to see exactly how high it is idling? If it doesn't move forward when idling in gear, I can't imagine the idle is all that high. Out of gear, it should be like 672 rpm or some such random number. As long as its under 800 I wouldn't get concerned with it.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73
                        Have you put a tach on this to see exactly how high it is idling? If it doesn't move forward when idling in gear, I can't imagine the idle is all that high. Out of gear, it should be like 672 rpm or some such random number. As long as its under 800 I wouldn't get concerned with it.
                        - nope havent had time to get to the tach yet ....
                        - i am sure that it is above 800 like i said before it sounds like it is in or around 1,000 which is way to high ...
                        - next thing to do is get the timing checked, as i dont have a timing light (which i would like to have) ...
                        then get a tach ...

Comment

Put a tach on it if you don't have an exact figure so we know exactly how high we're talking. Sorry if I missed where you said what it sounded like before, thread is getting long and I'm lazy

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73
                            Put a tach on it if you don't have an exact figure so we know exactly how high we're talking. Sorry if I missed where you said what it sounded like before, thread is getting long and I'm lazy
                            - yeah that is ok, i like reading long threads ...
                            - anyways any tach's that are good for a 89 CV? or should i just pick up one i like or can afford lol?
                            - and thanks for replying

Comment

Tachs are tachs pretty much. If you know someone thats got old tools like a dwell-tech for setting breaker points, you can use that just as diagnostic equipment. The dwell setting will be useless but the tach will still work just fine.

Comment

Working...
                              X