rain leaking in

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

rain leaking in

It finally rained here in Texas after many months, and we got it all at once. And most of it ended up on the floor in my car. I have dug into it a bit and the area around the hood hinge is my main suspect, both driver and passenger side. Letters refer to the pic below.

A. Hard to see in the pic but this is where two layers of steel are overlapped. The sealer was dried up and I easily chipped it away. Was planning on some 3M body seam sealer here unless anyone has a better idea.

B. The hinge bracket and bolt had a bunch of dried up sealer here too. Also easily chipped away. I could shine a bright light down there and see it from under the dash, so I am very suspicious of this being the main path. Again, 3M body seam sealer here?

C. I removed the plastic-framed screen here. There was no sealer whatsoever. I assume that water is allowed to enter that hole with the idea that it drains out of the A/C condensate drain. Is that correct?

I did get the carpet out completely this weekend and I plan to do more water testing now. Mainly wanted to get a second opinion on the use of body seam sealer here.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	84
Size:	1.49 MB
ID:	1392737

Id say you are right in your findings. I had to do this to my own car as I have found water intruding from the aforementioned locations when the car was under DD status.

I used seam sealer. It has since dried up and no longer remains flexible so I would likely have to do it again if the car ever is subjected to weather. I would like to know if there is something better to use as it clearly did not last...think its been close to ten years since I did it on mine.

I would have thought at least a cheap foam seal would have been under that screen...but clearly does not look like it.....cant hurt to lay a little bead of something underneath it if it bother you. I believe I would.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

I used silicone gasket sealer under the screen on all my boxes. Worked like a charm. WagonMan
      89 Colony Park
      90 Colony Park
      70 HEMI Daytona Convertible

Comment

original may have been butyl. its a cross between tar and rubber. Messy nasty stuff but it remains flexible just about forever and works nicely as a water seal.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I support redoing with butyl rope. The rear reflector on my Town Car had water infiltration issues, mostly due to ancient, petrified butyl. Dug all the old stuff out and put in new and it's been dry ever since. So it may not last forever, but some new stuff should get you by for another decade or two.
          1987 Lincoln Town Car - Signature, "Prudence"

Comment

Rear reflector? Where did ye find said butyl rope? I don't believe I have water intrusion issues, but then again, my car only receives water when I get caught in the rain.
            1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
            1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

If you can't get butyl I'd get a good silicone adhesive/sealer and call it a day! Should last long enough that it won't matter.
              What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
              What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

Comment

I used this on the Rustang
                https://www.amazon.com/3M-08578-Blac...a-496944296532
                and
                https://www.amazon.com/C-R-Laurence-...A%3D%3D&sr=8-4
                1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
                  Rear reflector? Where did ye find said butyl rope? I don't believe I have water intrusion issues, but then again, my car only receives water when I get caught in the rain.
                  The bit of red plastic between the taillights. When I say infiltration I just mean water was getting behind the lenses, not into the trunk.

I got the butyl rope from some audio or sound deadening company. Don't recall which one off hand, but Resonix offers the same thing, though I'm sure it can be had elsewhere for cheaper.

https://resonixsoundsolutions.com/sh...ix-butyl-rope/
                  1987 Lincoln Town Car - Signature, "Prudence"

Comment

My guess is Amazon has it as well.
                    What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
                    What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

Comment

Working...
                    X