So, not a box but 460 carb question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, not a box but 460 carb question

So my 88 f250 has a 460 converted to carb. It has a “rebuilt” edelbrock 1407 on it but does not want to start well even with the manual choke. It runs decent when warm but still seems to be starved of fuel. It has one of those Holley inline fuel pumps on it. I’ve never had a 460 before but run the 1406 carbs on other shit just fine. It had an old early 60s Holley carb off a grain truck on it before. Should I just put that back on or does the edelbrock need different metering rods in it?
    Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Usually tuning a carb is a pretty smart idea to get things runnning better...
    A 460 is gonna be thirsty, try turning the idle screws maybe a quarter out and check how it starts.

If the Holley ran fine, I'd put it back unless you've hopped up the 460.
    1985 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, "Maisa"
    1995 Chevrolet Caprice Classic STW, "Sally"

Comment

Very limited experience here, as I have "piddled" with exactly one of these. I definitely won't say I tuned it but I did experiment just to mess with it.

One thing it did is under very lean jet/rod setups was not idle or run, regardless of mixture screws.

What rods and jets is it running?

1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
      1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
      Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
      Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

See I dunno as it was “rebuilt” already. I think I’m gonna buy a kit with different rods and shit to compare. Idle screws have yielded me no improvement.
        Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

A complete teardown and possible rebuild is surely in order. I'd especially be looking at the fuel bowl and float to see what is actually getting in. Check for debris and the overall "clean look" a carb should have and the movement of the float.
          Last edited by friskyfrankie; 11-14-2023, 08:35 AM.
          What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
          What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

Comment

I echo what others have said about tearing it down and verifying what jets and such are in it. I have no experience with Ecklebrock carbs, but the 600 CFM Holley on my 318 ran much, much better when I bought the Holley book, read it, bought the jet & power valve kit and tinkered with it. Turns out the thing was starving for fuel no matter where it was running and the accelerator pump/nozzles needed a significant adjustment, as it always stumbled when I stepped on the throttle. Car ran like a gazelle after that, didn't use a choke.
            1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
            1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

The metering rods won't have anything to do with starting. They only pull out of the holes when the secondary opens. Make sure the idle stuff is right and the throttle blade is basically in the right spot. Too far open and the idle screws won't work right. Choke also needs to be set right, too far closed and it will just drown, not closed enough and it won't be happy. Accel pump also needs to function or pumping the pedal isn't going to do anything useful.

verify the timing too, if its too far out of whack no amount of dicking with the carb is going to make it start easy.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
              X