No announcement yet.

87 Grand Marquis Idle fluctuating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If I wasnt in a hurry I would remember. But, what I do remember is I used the same size hose for the port on the intake and the port on the map sensor itself. It was a tight fit but it did work.

Comment

Originally posted by 87GMQ View Post
      If I wasnt in a hurry I would remember. But, what I do remember is I used the same size hose for the port on the intake and the port on the map sensor itself. It was a tight fit but it did work.
      I guess there can't be too much of a difference so that is why there was a fight. The consensus seems to be that there is a difference which while not making sense is certainly possible. Ford (along with other makers) can do some strange shit sometimes!
      What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
      What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

Comment

I suspect the size difference has to do with the intake being installed 2 different directions. The fitting for the MAP is directly opposite the fitting for the evap solenoid, which does use the larger size. Pretty sure its the same size fitting on both sides of the manifold to allow for that, so it ends up with a goofy hose on the MAP side of things.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I noticed that the idle fluctuation seems to happen when the hvac controller is turned on any setting other than "off" . Once its in the off position it seems to keep the idle steady. The fluctuation is probably between 100-200 rpm.

Vacuum leak either at the firewall or under the dash? Thoughts?

Comment

I noticed that the idle fluctuation seems to happen when the hvac controller is turned on any setting other than "off" . Once its in the off position it seems to keep the idle steady. The fluctuation is probably between 100-200 rpm.

Vacuum leak either at the firewall or under the dash? Thoughts?
            How does the HVAC system work? Any change in which vents air comes out of like the fan speeds seems to slow down (which it really is not)? If so, that would indicate a vacuum leak.

Comment

all of the air doors are positioned by vacuum, and if its an ATC car thats also vac operated. The temp part doesn't care where the other lever is, but its not impossible the air door selection has a vac leak. Easy enough to check, just need a hand vac pump. Its rarely a perfect seal but shouldn't leak enough to cause problems.

or just pull the line and cap that port on the vac tree to eliminate it as a possibility.
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                all of the air doors are positioned by vacuum, and if its an ATC car thats also vac operated. The temp part doesn't care where the other lever is, but its not impossible the air door selection has a vac leak. Easy enough to check, just need a hand vac pump. Its rarely a perfect seal but shouldn't leak enough to cause problems.

or just pull the line and cap that port on the vac tree to eliminate it as a possibility.
                Do u know which one it is so i can cap it off?

Also this fender mounted relay has a loud audible click (e5sb 11433 a2a) while running. What is this relay for?

Comment

Also this fender mounted relay has a loud audible click (e5sb 11433 a2a) while running. What is this relay for?
                  Pretty sure it's one or two lines going through the firewall next to the beige plastic vacuum distribution thing.

Seems it'd be the AC relay.
                  Does it click constantly, or with longer intervals? Does your ac compressor cycle normally.
                  1985 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, "Maisa"
                  1995 Chevrolet Caprice Classic STW, "Sally"

Comment

Originally posted by Arquemann View Post

Pretty sure it's one or two lines going through the firewall next to the beige plastic vacuum distribution thing.

Seems it'd be the AC relay.
                    Does it click constantly, or with longer intervals? Does your ac compressor cycle normally.
                    Compressor clutch is not engaged ever. (low ac refridgerant) The click is audible every two seconds. maybe its trying to cycle?

Comment

I don't really know how the AC relay operates.
                      Try unhooking the low pressure sensor connector if that'll stop the clicking. Not sure if it's even related to the idle surging.
                      Someone more knowledgeable will hopefully chime in.
                      1985 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, "Maisa"
                      1995 Chevrolet Caprice Classic STW, "Sally"

Comment

Is that relay not the Fuel Pump relay?

Comment

Compressor clutch is not engaged ever. (low ac refridgerant) The click is audible every two seconds. maybe its trying to cycle?
                          Have you checked the AC refrigerant pressure (low and high side pressures)?

Comment

AC relay is operated by the ECM at full throttle and while cranking. Possibly it also operates when the idle drops too much. It does nothing otherwise and has nothing to do with the refrigerant pressures. If the compressor is not actually running, this is not causing your issue.

The pressure switch is in the power supply to the compressor which runs through the normally closed contacts on the relay. If the pressure is low or its just not turned on at the dash the compressor won't run no matter what that relay is doing.

Climate control vac line I think is the top one, but if not its the one with the check valve that has two hoses on it about an inch away from the manifold. One hose off the check valve goes through the firewall, the other goes to the soup can.

Comment

ok, thank you for the information

Comment

Working...
                              X