G-Max box sway bar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Arquemann View Post

The normal tow pack bar is probably the 13/16", but the police bar I mentioned is 1".
    Not on any PI I ever had. I had '98, '00, and '06 when I retired. We are talking rear sway bars.
    Last edited by tbear853; 03-24-2023, 04:52 PM.
    No ... I'm not arguing with you ... I'm just explaining why I'm right ...

Now go ... and whatever you do ... have a safe trip!

Comment

Originally posted by tbear853 View Post
      Not on any PI I ever had. I had '98, '00, and '06 when I retuired. We are talking rear sway bars.
      This thread is about box rear sway bars.
      1985 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, "Maisa"
      1995 Chevrolet Caprice Classic STW, "Sally"

Comment

box rear bars were larger, but they also mount and operate in a different way than bars on round cars so they may need to be fatter for the same effect. Not an engineer, so I don't know the fine points of it but box rear bars bolt to the middle of the lower control arm on the 4 link suspension only. Round cars have a pair of brackets with rubber bushings on the axle that the bar passes through, and the ends are fixed to the frame with links.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by Arquemann View Post

This thread is about box rear sway bars.
          OK, I guess was the mention of ADDCO 650 put me in mind of Whales. I see now that y'all are talking about a bar bolts to splayed out lower control arms like was on my old Chevelle. My bad.
          Last edited by tbear853; 03-24-2023, 09:49 PM.
          No ... I'm not arguing with you ... I'm just explaining why I'm right ...

Now go ... and whatever you do ... have a safe trip!

Comment

Hopes dashed again. This tang is turning out the be a deal breaker, they can only do a 4" flat with their current tooling. The flange on our bars is 135mm long (5.250ish)

Comment

In theory, we could drill one hole and use the other factory hole and it would work with a four inch tang?

I'm not a customer since I'm lucky enough to have of the originals. I also have the smaller bar on the other car. The difference is substantial in terms of handling.
              1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
              1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
              Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
              Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

I got in touch with PST suspension on the phone and talked in depth about the G-Max bar.
                The gentleman I spoke with was a 50 year experienced body and fender guy that has a thing for the Panthers too.
                This is what G-Max said.

Manufacturers reply:

"Well that depends on a few things Dan.

If he's welding or drilling in the center or "torsional" part of the bar, I would recommend neither.
                If it's the arm of the bar he might be OK. Depends on diameter of the bar and size of the drill.
                Welding should be OK on the arm of the bar but he needs pretty good penetration so I'd crank that welder up.
                If it's a pretty good diameter bar (maybe 1.0 or up) the weld is not likely to hold regardless of penetration.
                None of these actions are really recommended but he might get away with it.
                I'd say he's got a 50/50 chance."

I'll be looking into this a little bit further with a friend that has a welding business for 40 years. He'll know.​
                All FORD All The Time

Comment

Working...
                X