Turn key crate engines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turn key crate engines

We have an 88 town car stock motor just blew. What would we need to drop in one of those cheap atk carbureted motors? I know the belt and pulley stuff is different no immediate ac...

- Change accessories, oil pan and maybe thermostat housing over to new engine
    - TV cable bracket and carb linkage geometry corrector
    - Cut fuel lines, install a bypass regulator and hook up carb and return line
    - Reinstall oil level, coolant temp and alternator connectors
    - Ignition wiring depends on the ignition system. Could maybe reuse original coil pos side
    - Rewire fuel pump relay from switched source

OR

- Buy a long block
    - Swap all the efi and other stuff onto the new engine and buy a PNP megasquirt ECM and get it tuned. (or flash stock ecm if possible?)
    - Enjoy everything as they were before
    1985 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, "Maisa"
    1995 Chevrolet Caprice Classic STW, "Sally"

Comment

Or order a rebuilt stock long block and swap in and drive.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

why the hell would you want a carb?
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I wouldn't. Mine is getting sniper EFI but his needs to be on the road pretty quick. Yea we were looking at the price of them trying to figure what it would take. Lots of places still can't get several parts. Trick flows lower intake n such.

Comment

Shops say they can't get and won't tune megasquirt anymore. It's just the one they sell for 80s 90s mustangs I think. They do offer to put on terminator x for $8,000. I'm not at all kidding. Got another quote for $6,000 but they are adamant about not using megasquirt lol

Comment

I wonder why they won’t tune megasquirt. And what’s up with those prices? Megasquirt is a good option if you don’t mind tweaking the tune. It has an auto tune feature but from what I’ve read it doesn’t tune spark only fuel. Another option is pro m. I believe someone here is running a pro m.

Comment

Never ever move to Springfield Illinois. It fell before the rest of the country did. Everyone here really likes to pay it forward in the worst way. No more contracting anyone for anything. Bait and switch on time date price. Lying straight to your face. That is now commonplace.

Comment

Why'd you go with Sniper when the Terminator kits cost about the same and as much work to install? On Holleys site an MPFI Terminator X kit is $1300, I refuse to believe any shop would price the installation at $4500 and beyond. It can easily be done at home!
                  Since you've got all the Ford SEFI stuff, there's no reason to go for a Sniper setup other than someone else wanting to bullshit you out of your money. Unless you want an inferior type of fuel injection.

The "foxbody" ecm is the same pinout as your car, so installing a megasquirt and tuning it is just like a foxbody. Even in the intercontinental backwater of Finland, I could get a megasquirt tuned in almost any somewhat bigger city.
                  1985 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, "Maisa"
                  1995 Chevrolet Caprice Classic STW, "Sally"

Comment

Call scram speed in Decatur Illinois and get a quote from em. I wouldn't lie on this but I've also ran into a lot of just do it yourself on here lol. Il pass it on to him. Just get it out of your local yard lol. I mix up all the companies I thaught terminator was Holley sniper x. Mixed em up. In any case I definitely shoulda never purchased an a9p lol. Il try to learn more about these systems and pinning and things. They quoted me 8 gs. I explained it's the same as a mustang.

Comment

Scram speed in Decatur Illinois quoted $8000 to install terminator. Redline speed in Bloomington quoted $6000. Both said they don't and wouldn't tune megasquirt anymore. Scram speed was adamant they couldn't get megasquirt. When I google the parts they come right up. Like I said...

Comment

Il just tell him to read the forums. Then il be brief and dismissive about key things. Then after his shit fails il go oh yea why didn't you do so and so lol. Il tell him any competent shop should be able to yada yada lol. Give me the name of a shop you trust. I don't care what state it is. I'm not above calling em.

Comment

I'm looking to move out of state. You should see the way people treat each other here. They can all claim they are understaffed but weather you are hiring to have a fence built or anything in the auto machanic technician realm the quotes are often blatantly disrespectful. Paying half up front for materials. They all start often months later. I'm telling ya, it's the way things are done here right now

Comment

If they say they can’t do it even after you tell them it’s the same as a fox, run. They don’t want to do it so why should you throw your money at them? Why are you running aftermarket efi if you don’t mind me asking? Depending on your combo, a stock LoPo or ho ecu could get you close until you can get it dialed in.

Comment

Mines a bit different from his. Both 88 four doors. Mine is new 306 that hasn't been properly broken in. It was built with a mild custom cam. It had ported explorer intakes but they were cracked. Just put trickflow intakes on. It's had a EFI conversion using a9p. The hard to find shape headers and gt40 p heads with better springs. Drilled 02 sensors. duals. Slightly bigger radiator. Smog delete. Msd box. I think 19 lb injectors which could be an issue and still need to mess with fuel pump more than likely. Thanks for asking.

Comment

Working...
                              X