No announcement yet.

Whaddya Use To Cool Your CVs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hehe - my experience is that a replacement aluminum/plastic unit is easy to find at your local AutoZone. Got one from them in about '01 for about $140 - I can only assume it's still available.

Aren't copper/brass designs considered to be outdated because of being somewhat leakage-prone?
    2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

I have a three core in mine, all stock otherwise.
      I was idleing around a campgound for half an hour or so and it started getting hot, the idle picked up on it, that was my first clue, was about 200. I think I have the idle set too low since I got the EGR fixed, it idles so smooth I kept just slowing it down. Need to bump it back up to a reasonable level.
      2000 Grand Marquis LS
      2000 F150 XLT 6 inches of lift.
      1987 Bill Blass Mark VII - Sold
      1985 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park- SOLD. to a little old lady
      Mercury Owners Group member
      Save The Whales, Restore an Old Station Wagon!!

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
        Aren't copper/brass designs considered to be outdated because of being somewhat leakage-prone?
        they're somewhat less efficient than an equivalent aluminum radiator. Thats why the 85 models with brass had a 2 core, in 86 it was an aluminum single core. Basically the same cooling capacity. The aluminum radiator is lighter as well, probably cheaper to make too. Too bad they didn't make a 2 or 3 core aluminum radiator, those would do an extremely good job of cooling the car. I have seen 4 core brass Panther radiators, and that thing was a monster. The car cools so well on the highway that the thermostat closes. You can watch the temperature gauge bob up and down from it.

Not sure if the copper is so much leak prone as its sensitive to poor cooling system care. The solder will erode away as the coolant becomes acidic. Handily they're usually more fixable at home, often just need a torch and some solder to re-seal them.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

My car is equipped with a stock replacement 2-core radiator, stock pump, 180 t-stat, and stock mech. fan with original (tired) clutch. Hot summer days with A/C on you see elevated temps immediately in stop and go. No A/C on hot summer days you see elevated temps at high rpms under load, or city stop-and-go. Temps drop as soon as you start to roll, however. Next step for me is to ditch the mech fan for an elec one. Possibly Mark VIII or Mercedes E/C class in a JY as source.

Comment

Stock aluminum rad, 195 Tstat, and a HD waterpump with some mild cleanup/porting. Stock mechanical fan with thermo-clutch
            Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

single core Griffin 31x19 aluminum radiator
              cast iron water pump
              electric fan off a 95 CV
              a small ~10" electric pusher fan off a toyota
              i have the radiator boxed in with a big ass air dam underneath
              i also run two tranny coolers one 8-pass, one 6-pass
              car stays at 180, except at wide open, it will climb to around 210 till i let out. tranny stays under 180 unless im standing against the convertor

here is how i boxed the radiator in

Last edited by DuceAnAHalf; 10-17-2007, 06:02 PM.
              http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
              http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

Single core stock aluminum rad, cast iron wp, dual electric fans off a taurus, run off a toggle switch

2009 Ford F-350 6.4 powerstroke diesel. 1977 Ford F-150 built 300 six, 5 speed trans. 1976 MG MGB roadster, 359w, t5 5 speed. 1996 Kawasaki ninja ZX6R.
                My rod is glowing, my bead is clean, my middle name is acetylene

Comment

3-core copper w/ metal tanks from radiators.com (do not ever buy from them), regular stock clutch fan, stock waterpump with a balancer-clearancing mod, 180º t-stat. Scott used one of his tools on it to pull out all the air and it never topped 185 in the few hundred miles ive had it out on the road so far

RIP Jason P Harril, we'll miss ya bro

'80 Town Coupé
                  '84 Towncar - Teh Cobra TC, 408w powered
                  '16 Ram 1500 CC Outdoorsman, Hemi/3.92/8sp 4x4

Comment

Working...
                  X