No announcement yet.

Small Block Windsor Full Length Headers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MAC suck. Stay away from any individual flanged headers. BBK's are fine. Mid lengths don't fit without modification, about the same as full lengths.
    Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Originally posted by mrltd View Post
      MAC suck. Stay away from any individual flanged headers. BBK's are fine. Mid lengths don't fit without modification, about the same as full lengths.
      yup, about the only difference between my mid-legnth headers and fulls are that mine dont run parrallel to the ground
      http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
      http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

Originally posted by Mercmarquis View Post
        +1 let me know where you get these from, I would like a set for my car, unfortunetly I need a transmission and my tuition paid first lol.

What tranny are you lookinng for?
        Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

Originally posted by 87CrownVic View Post
          Well, sadly, its looking like Ill have to resort to shortys. MAC or JBA are my obvious preferences. Anyone running 1 3/4" shortys from either? I know BBK is rather popular for our cars as well, but I'd like to stay away from them. Did I hear something about mid-lengths fitting as well? 1 3/4'' mid-lengths would be much sexier.
          You might look at Hedman Elite shorties, although I don't know of they are going to have anything with a 1 3/4" primary tube to fit whatever it is you are working on. Personally, I would go with JBA, if I have to pick something out what you presented as options.

Concerning FPA, yes, I ended up spending two or more hours on the phone with him when I was originally working on the 460/panther wagon swap. I just hope I own something someday that I can actually use of his, the products I have seen of his are nothing short of art.

What MAC stands for?
          "Moves Around Constantly"

Comment

I know BBK is rather popular for our cars as well, but I'd like to stay away from them.
            Why is that? For the money, no one else is close to what BBK produces regarding quality/fitment.

Comment

The couple sets of BBK headers I've installed have fit nicely. Access to all the bolts with a ratchet is a nice feature.

1 3/4" tubes is also bigger than necessary most of the time. Production heads seldom need more than 1 5/8". Stock un-ported heads actually do best with a 1 1/2" header. Dont need or want a bigger primary tube than the exhaust port is, it will slow down the exhaust gas and have a poor scavenging effect. Net result is a loss of torque.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

He says he's running aftermarket heads in the first post.

2001 Ford Crown Victoria P71 - "The Fire Engine"
                1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
                But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

This is turning out to be a new height in for the build. MAC is the only company with a 1 3/4" primary on the market. I guess I'm slightly f*cked here, I'm not about to spend the $1200 on some custom stepped coated headers yet, and my only other option everyone is slaying. Anyone else seen 1 3/4" primary shorties by ANYONE? Chrimeny...

Comment

Here ya go:

2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Holy Christ! LOL! I don't know if I'd go quite as far as to fabricate my own headers. I'm a fairly decent fabricator, but those would probably be the ugliest, most uneven headers ever built haha. Thanks for the info though, I appreciate every bit of knowledge I can soak up around here. I think I'm gonna bite the bullet and go with the MACs and those stage 8 locking header bolts. BTW, anyone who might be curious or thinking about buying a set of locking header bolts, DONT GET THE ONES WITH THE ALLEN HEAD SCREWS IN THE MIDDLE! I spent too much (like over $50) on a set for my heddman *cough GARBAGE! cough* headers on my truck and those little turds still loosen up every two weeks. Don't forget a little brake cleaner in the mounting holes and blowing them out with the air gun can solve alot of problems too, from oil and crud build-up.

Comment

So when ya gonna fill us in on the combination? Wonder how similar it is to a Brodix-headed 351 with a big mechanical roller that I tested at nearly 600hp NA on the virtual dyno.

Comment

Well, my engine builder is waiting on the timing cover I'm getting blasted and powder coated right this very minute. After that, I'll send it over and he'll be able to slap the oil pan on. It should be in the garage by next weekend, so I'll take some pics of "THE PHANTOM BUILD" so everyone can drool for awhile. I'll divulge a little bit I suppose, I really wanted to wait, but we could all use some excitement around here.

Comment

I'm running stainless steel allen head bolts and stainless steel lockwashers on my BBKs. Had one loosen up since I put them in spring of last year. I bought 50 of each for half the price of one set (16 pieces) of brand name header bolts.

Comment

Well, my engine builder is waiting on the timing cover I'm getting blasted and powder coated right this very minute. After that, I'll send it over and he'll be able to slap the oil pan on. It should be in the garage by next weekend, so I'll take some pics of "THE PHANTOM BUILD" so everyone can drool for awhile. I'll divulge a little bit I suppose, I really wanted to wait, but we could all use some excitement around here.
                              Kewlness!

I'm running stainless steel allen head bolts and stainless steel lockwashers on my BBKs. Had one loosen up since I put them in spring of last year. I bought 50 of each for half the price of one set (16 pieces) of brand name header bolts.
                              Any experiences with the super-fancy lockwashers supplied with Mr. Gasket Copperseal header gasket kits? Since they came with my gaskets, I went ahead and installed them on both cars. They're like 1/8" thick!

Interesting that you're able to get enough torque with Allen head bolts. Sounds like a potential improvement over my situation of having to use an angle-head wrench to reach my 7/16"-hex header bolts on the Flowtech headers (Mustang headers have been using regular Grade 8 bolts with a 9/16" hex). What size Allen head do your bolts have?

Comment

Why would it be tough to get torque? I use a socket and a wrench. I made a nice socket for the really tough ones by purchasing a 5/16" universal 1/4" drive socket and cut a short piece out of a 5/16" allen wrench to fit in it. Works great.

Comment

Working...
                                X