351 Windsor build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

spark plugs that do not fire ed

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
    2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
    1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
    1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
    2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
    1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

just like some people like the motorsport plug wires, and others have had nothing but trouble with them (me included)
      http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
      http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

i was told about some 351 heads with a heart shaped chameber on them that are supposed to be good for preformence,
        i have a set of DO0E heads off a 351, but they need a full rebuild, the valves are all fucked up, and rusted i had a hard time getting them out, would they be worth doing, or are they not much better then the stock ones i alredy have?

Comment

The 70 heads probly have smaller combustion chambers resulting in higher compression.

Comment

The engine I am building for my 68' is mostly recycled parts that won't break the bank but offer good performance for the price. Its a mid-range engine and should have plenty of torque to move a big car.

351 // .030 Over Bore
            Weiand Stealth // $165 eBay
            Edelbrock 600CFM // $50 craigslist + $40 rebuild kit
            GT40 Heads // $275 Lightning Forum
            Comp 268H Cam & Lifters // $180 Summit

You could sub in a stock 4bbl truck intake or edelbrock intake. Finding a good set of GT or GTP heads should be doable under $300 and the performance gain is well worth it for a bolt on part.
            -Matt
            1968 Fairlane 500 - 1998 Camaro Z/28

Comment

The 1970 D0OE 351 head was actually the best factory Windsor head before the gt40. Apparently they're also super to have ported, and can flow very well in the right hands. They have a lot of potential but they also have the potential to be a moneypit. They do not have hardened valve seats, so running unleaded fuel without having new seats installed can burn the seats. If yours are in that poor of condition, its probably going to need valves and guides too. For the money that it would cost to have them redone to good usable stock condition, you can most likely find something newer and in better shape that will do a better job for you. Having them ported and such to flow to their full potential will also be costly, and more than likely you can take the same money, buy some used aftermarket heads and just slap them on there for the same or possibly better performance.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Uslydawg is running ported Dooe's on his wagon. They work well.

GT40's are good cheap power.
                Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                  The 1970 D0OE 351 head was actually the best factory Windsor head before the gt40. .
                  It was the best "as is" head on the intake side only. 289 heads kicked their ass on the exhaust side. In practical racing applications, with the smaller combustion chambers and with larger valves and port massaging, 289 heads can make more horsepower......

Comment

Heads

"Uslydawg is running ported Dooe's on his wagon. They work well."
                    Yes they do, but I have some $$ in them. They also do not have hardened seats.

If I was to do it again, I would go straight to Dart Windsor cast irons or AFR aluminum.
                    About the same $$.

"i have a set of DO0E heads off a 351, but they need a full rebuild, the valves are all fucked up, and rusted i had a hard time getting them out, would they be worth doing, or are they not much better then the stock ones i alredy have?"
                    Yes, they are better than what u have now, BUT, if they are in that bad of shape, u may be better off going with some aftermarket heads.
                    I have seen cast iron DARTs used, on Corral, for <$1K, used aluminum heads for slightly >$1K.
                    Both should be freshened up.
                    This will be, by far, a better and less costly in the long run, way to go than to pour $$$$ into those D0s.
                    BTDT.
                    Speed cost....how fast u wanna go??

It's not how much hp u have...
                    It's how much hp u can put to the track...

Let's seperate the men from the boys and put that power to the track using street tires and stock suspension components

'Tis infinately better to sit quietly and be thought a fool,
                    than to speak and remove all doubt.

I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person.

Comment

holy shit...its slydawg!!!!!

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
                      1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
                      1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
                      2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
                      2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

i also have a set of E6TE heads but they are probly no better then what i have

Comment

Those heart shaped heads were used on 221 V8s. I think 289s as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Mercracer View Post
                            It was the best "as is" head on the intake side only. 289 heads kicked their ass on the exhaust side. In practical racing applications, with the smaller combustion chambers and with larger valves and port massaging, 289 heads can make more horsepower......
                            Ditto.

I will never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever ever ever use D0OE's ever again. Exhaust ports are freaking junk, gotta love that sloped-to-the-right exhaust port roof. I chewed up a set of carbide bits, and one expensive die grinder doing my own D0OE heads (I removed a shitload of material, and did three heads, actually, the first one was a test piece). After I was done, a friend brought by a ported set of 1965 289 heads that he had just bought (for $50!), and the exhaust ports were visibly larger than mine...argh.

Give me GT40's, or give me death.

Comment

I have heard from sources the GT40P is the best factory SBF head as of now.
                              1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
                              Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Working...
                              X