No announcement yet.

Time to start spending money

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok so I've been driving it back and forth to work everyday this week. Its been great. Until today after work I went down to seco about 20 min there and 20 min back. When I was about 5 min's from home the whole car started to shimmy. BAD. Steering wheel, shifter, everything. I stop to check the easy things wheel falling off, driveshaft, and general look at everything. Didn't see anything wrong. Drove it the rest of the way home and the shimmying came and went. It seemed to be somewhat speed related but wasn't consistent. When I got home I smelled a burning rubber plastic smell but still couldn't find anything wrong. I'm going to go put it on jacks now to see if I can find anything but was wondering if ya'll have anything specific in mind to look for. Any ideas?
    1984 CV tudor 351W, 4bbl, 5-speed best time in the 1/8 8.39 at 80 with 1.80 60ft time.
    2006 P71, 1988 Bronco II, 1986 Baby LTD(5.0 & T5 swap in progress), 1976 16' Hobie Cat, 12' AquaFinn
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2651997 UPDATED 20100826
    sigpic

Comment

Weird. Might be something totally unrelated...
      1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
      Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Well went out a jack up the car and both of the front wheels when lock-up solid. So I took off the caly's sprayed'um with a little PB blaster and put'um back on. Seem's to have fixed the problem. Hopefully it won't come back.
        1984 CV tudor 351W, 4bbl, 5-speed best time in the 1/8 8.39 at 80 with 1.80 60ft time.
        2006 P71, 1988 Bronco II, 1986 Baby LTD(5.0 & T5 swap in progress), 1976 16' Hobie Cat, 12' AquaFinn
        sigpic

Comment

Oh so the calipers were locking up?

Comment

Yup.
            sigpic

Comment

Time to replace them.

Comment

Why would both of them go bad at once. Seems a little weird to me.
                sigpic

Comment

Sure there isn't like a hard line being pinched somewhere?

Comment

Originally posted by Pesty351 View Post
                    Why would both of them go bad at once. Seems a little weird to me.
                    I don't think either of them 'went' anywhere. The car sat for some time, during winter, and water tends to be absorbed into brake lines due to condensation. Water then causes rust....and rust seizes calipers.

Problem solved, lol.

Comment

What is your recommendation, O great piratey person, for keeping said moisture from condensing into said brake fluid at the caliper end of things?
                      2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Originally posted by Pirate!!!!!!!! View Post
                        I don't think either of them 'went' anywhere. The car sat for some time, during winter, and water tends to be absorbed into brake lines due to condensation. Water then causes rust....and rust seizes calipers.

Problem solved, lol.
                        Winter? Its been in the 60's and 70's the whole time the car sat. I fiqure this weekend I will take the wheels off check all my lines and give them a good bleeding and see where that leaves me.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
                          What is your recommendation, O great piratey person, for keeping said moisture from condensing into said brake fluid at the caliper end of things?
                          Flush the brake lines occasionally, once every couple of years or so. I forgot that Pesty lives in Florida, but the suggestion still applies, even in his situation.

Comment

Sitting= bad for most components of cars. Seals get shitty, stuff sticks and salt air can fux up lots o stuff. I dunno, just use it or loose it.
                            Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

It only sat a little over a month. I haven't had a problem with them since. I'm still going to keep an eye on them though. Now I'm in the search for a exhaust shop that is willing to work on a car with no cats and do side pipes. All I need is the tailpipes fabed but there all these law things that people a afraid of breaking.
                              sigpic

Comment

Shouldn't have a problem getting tailpipes if the section where the cats are is intact (even if there is no cats)

If you want, I have a spot right near Eglin that will do them, he did mine.

Comment

Working...
                                X