Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 83countrysquire View Post
    how big is a big stall converter 2500?
    That's barely enough for a stock HO cam/motor....

So no, more like 2800-3000

Put it this way.... 264/270 512/512 lift cam, gt40 heads/cam, WR-AOD, 2400 stall, 3.73s won't spin off the line with 27" tall tires.... Same motor with stock cam and 3.55s will blow the tires off through 1st and 2nd.
    Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Originally posted by Outlaw440 View Post
      Without even looking at the cam specs i see problem number one.
      Indeed. And its not that they don't like Vics or don't know what they're doing, they're just building cars that are a hell of a lot lighter. 2800 lbs vs 3800 lbs is a major change when you're talking cams.

I'd personally be real interested in trying an XE258. It sounds like a nice stump puller cam from the specs. Should do well in a heavy car.

Vendor Competition Cams
      Product Line Competition Cams Xtreme Energy Camshafts
      Cam Style Hydraulic roller tappet
      Basic Operating RPM Range 1,300-5,300 RPM
      Intake Duration 050 inch Lift 208
      Exhaust Duration 050 inch Lift 216
      Advertised Intake Duration 258
      Advertised Exhaust Duration 266
      Intake Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio 0.533
      Exhaust Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio 0.544
      Lobe Separation (degrees) 112
      Grind Number FW XE258HR-12
      Notes (Not Specified)
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
        Indeed. And its not that they don't like Vics or don't know what they're doing, they're just building cars that are a hell of a lot lighter. 2800 lbs vs 3800 lbs is a major change when you're talking cams.

I'd personally be real interested in trying an XE258. It sounds like a nice stump puller cam from the specs. Should do well in a heavy car.

Vendor Competition Cams
        Notes (Not Specified)

I agree, it's the next cam down from my xe264. Probably should have gotten that one instead....

Comment

Originally posted by Titanius Anglesmith View Post

Vendor Competition Cams
          Notes (Not Specified)
          I agree, it's the next cam down from my xe264. Probably should have gotten that one instead....
          That cam will cause no piston to valve clearance issues with a basic mustang ho build?
          ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
          My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
          My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
          But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
          my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
            That cam will cause no piston to valve clearance issues with a basic mustang ho build?
            I wonder how that would do on gas?
            sigpic
            1986 Crown Victoria 302 Cold Air,Mac Shorty headers, Full Dual Exhaust with Super Forty Flows, Wagon Suspension with a Full Sound System Replacement 1/4 time 17.486 @ 77.43mph

Comment

It's got way to much lift....

For a stock HO build, a stock cam or an explorer.

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
                unknown, but clay is your friend. I wouldn't stab one in without doing the clay routine. Its not so much the lift that causes you problems, but the duration, and honestly I don't know cams well enough to tell you if that one will clear or not. I do know how to stick clay on top of the piston and run the motor around by hand to see what happens though.

If you're running stock heads though, you're better off with the stock cam. Its been proven several times that changing the cam without upgrading the heads results in less power than the stock configuration, or at least enough stupid drivability problems that its not worth the effort. GT40 or P heads, or even ported E7 heads would probably respond fine with it though.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Hmm hmm hmmmm lol ok heres the low down as i have found through various ppl .posts and hours upon hours of research.

Stock HO good cheap start

Stock Exlpoder cam built mainly for tourqe

XE258 Ho cam on steroids thanks to mrltd for suggeting this cam. will be in my car in the future.

XE264 more top end sacrificeing low end

trickflow stage 1 dont know what it would do for our cars but i have a buddy of mine that has stock motor with edelbrock heads,gt40 tubular intake,bbk cai,mac headers flowtech exhuast he runs 12s in his 95 stang without the nitrous. im not sure what hes running for gears but it sounds good thats all i know.
                  the first three cams are all speed density freindly...as far as i know.
                  well thats enough of me rambling for now happy hunting mang.
                  89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

unknown, but clay is your friend. I wouldn't stab one in without doing the clay routine. Its not so much the lift that causes you problems, but the duration, and honestly I don't know cams well enough to tell you if that one will clear or not. I do know how to stick clay on top of the piston and run the motor around by hand to see what happens though.

If you're running stock heads though, you're better off with the stock cam. Its been proven several times that changing the cam without upgrading the heads results in less power than the stock configuration, or at least enough stupid drivability problems that its not worth the effort. GT40 or P heads, or even ported E7 heads would probably respond fine with it though.
                    I have a set of E7 heads, and a spare upper and lower intake..Wanna see if i can get my dads friend (did my dads heads back in the 80's)to port everything for me.Then i would try out that cam.
                    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

how much low end is sacfriced with that 264 cam?
                      sigpic
                      1986 Crown Victoria 302 Cold Air,Mac Shorty headers, Full Dual Exhaust with Super Forty Flows, Wagon Suspension with a Full Sound System Replacement 1/4 time 17.486 @ 77.43mph

Comment

Interesting, that XE258HR looks rather similar to my Crane 444211 (208/216, 262/270, .530/.530) but with faster ramp profiles and more exhaust lift. Pricey at $260ish just for the cam, versus the $240ish I paid for the cam, springs, and retainers, but I'd guess it would be a little more responsive than what I've got.
                        2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

... also, XE258HR has a narrower LDA than my cam. (112 versus 115)

Did we ever find out what the OP is actually trying to do?
                          2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Originally posted by 83countrysquire View Post
                            how much low end is sacfriced with that 264 cam?

Can you read?

Go read post #16.

Comment

sorry about that sometimes i am a dumb shit
                              sigpic

Comment

had someone run a desktop dyno with 258 and gt40 heads it makes massive amounts of tourqe .sorry i dont remeber what the numbers where lemme go check my messeges..............
                                89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

Working...
                                X