Need help with build options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MetalMerc View Post
    Definately will. I was unsure if it was different or not so i didnt grab it.

From what i understand i need a Mark VII ecu, correct? And do i need to get the fuel rail for orange injectors as well?

Fuel injected v8 5.0 mustang ecu will do as well and no you just use the new injectors on your original fuel rail.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Im starting to think the 3.73 might be retarded. Im plan on grabbing a limited slip out of a merc and just slapping different ring and pinion on it but with 3.73 i will get my ass handed to me on the highway. I dont want to sacrifice to much top speed. But 2.73 sucks. What would be the best for hauling ass but still accelerating to. I dont want to have no pull at a hundred. Id like to at least keep up with the newer mercs on the highway. But surpassing them all around is my goal.

Comment

I have to make sure that the gears will be decent for the build im doing as well. Naturally i must pick gears that wont be as suitable untill i have the motor done but i want to install the gears first. I plan to get the cop car tires when i get new ones but im on a fairly new set of 215 60 15 right now.

Comment

How does 3.55 with 225 70 15 sound? It would still have some pull in the low end but alot of kick at high speeds too correct? I am normally racing from 45 to 70 as start speeds and im sick of assholes blowing me off the road with ease. I want them wandering wtf happened when they try to pass me for driving like a pawpaw.

Comment

I've been doing a lot of playing around with online gear ratio calculators lately. The conclusion I've reached is that with a mild 351 (so slightly lower-revving than your planned HO 302) the 3.55 gears are just a tad too aggressive for daily driving. So with your higher-revving powerplant, and the slightly taller tires, you should be quite happy with 3.55s in your car.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
            160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
            waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

Originally posted by johnunit View Post
              3.55 gears are just a tad too aggressive for daily driving.

Comment

in a Crown Vic with a mild engine and stock AOD, yeah. That's just my opinion though.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
                160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
                waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

I plan on rebuilding the aod eventually... probably do shift kit or bigger servos or something but 3.55 sounds to be best. Thanks for the advice

Comment

Originally posted by MetalMerc View Post
                    Im starting to think the 3.73 might be retarded. Im plan on grabbing a limited slip out of a merc and just slapping different ring and pinion on it but with 3.73 i will get my ass handed to me on the highway. I dont want to sacrifice to much top speed. But 2.73 sucks. What would be the best for hauling ass but still accelerating to. I dont want to have no pull at a hundred. Id like to at least keep up with the newer mercs on the highway. But surpassing them all around is my goal.

I can do 125 in 3rd at 5 grand....with 3.73's. And I run a 15.0 1/4 with a 4500 lb wagon... I've walked hemi chargers from 65 like they were standing still....

Anyway the top speed on these cars is limited by aerodynamics more than gearing. (And the ability to go WOT in OD)
                    Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

I have 4.30's on a stock H.O. and I think they are perfect, I love them. The math works out to about 115mph on the rev limiter in 3rd.

And a meisly 2000rpm in OD at 55mph

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
                      Big plans

Comment

Originally posted by 1980c10 View Post
                        I have 4.30's on a stock H.O. and I think they are perfect, I love them. The math works out to about 115mph on the rev limiter in 3rd.

And a meisly 2000rpm in OD at 55mph
                        That sounds pretty good actually.

Comment

They are I love them lol.

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
                          Big plans

Comment

Yeah, but who drives 55?

3.73 is a great all around gear, especially with a WR-AOD
                            Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

I actually drive 55 to 65 lately. My engine seems to like it there.
                              ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                              My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                              My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                              But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                              my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by johnunit View Post
                                The conclusion I've reached is that with a mild 351 (so slightly lower-revving than your planned HO 302) the 3.55 gears are just a tad too aggressive for daily driving.
                                I put 3.55s in my '89 351W-equipped CV, and afterward I wished I had gone with 3.73s. From my personal experience, I'd say 3.55s aren't aggressive enough.

2001 Ford Crown Victoria P71 - "The Fire Engine"
                                1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
                                But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

Working...
                                X