e6/e7 heads and torque

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
    The stock E6 heads don't breathe at higher RPM. There is a reason the 86 Mustang is rated 25 hp less than the 87, and almost all of that is the heads. The upper intake is somewhat more restrictive, but thats not all of it. Ford quit using the E6 heads on trucks after 1986 too. Trucks don't spin high rpm, and they had something pretty close to the lopo cam but they came with E7 heads for the extra power they can make. They're still not that great though. If you really want to change heads, you'd do well to find something better than an E7 if at all possible.

I don't really want to change heads. I know mine work. It's the same amount of work involved if I put different ones on, since I'll have it stripped down pretty far to change the cam, but it seems like good cylinder heads = big money, and buying some unknown condition 20 yr old E7s to replace my working 20 yr old E6s doesn't sound like a good idea to me.

This is ALMOST as much a project for me to learn how to put the thing together as it is for performance. I don't take the car to a track and don't expect to take the engine apart much more after this, so no future performance mods are in mind except track lock in the rear end.
    sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

What cam do you have planned?
      2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

stock HO to mate with the 19lb injectors and mk vii ecu
        sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

HO cam played pretty happily with my otherwise stock-lowpo motor with a cheap 4V intake on top. 19mpg highway with an imbecile doing the tuning. And that was even with my legendary 2.26:1 rear end!

Comment

Cool. fuel injection for this kid...I have the H.O upper/TB sitting around collecting dust so I'm gonna use that
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 1990LTD View Post
              somewhat stupid question: anyone have a dyno sheet for a stock 5.0 ho?
              yea my 91 mk7

179 rwhp 242 rwt

my townie with ported e7's

222 rwhp, 278 rwt

45 rwhp and 36 ft lbs of torque not bad for 600 bucks......boo to all the thumper e7 haters

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
              2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
              1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
              1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
              2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
              1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Hey, it's probably better than what I've got! I'd be afraid to visit a chassis dyno for fear of embarrassment.

Comment

e6 vs e7

the e7 has a smaller combustion chamber which will bump compression to 9:1 and the valves are less shrouded, probaly 20hp gain, 10 from compression, 10 from unshrouding the valves

they both have the same 125cc intake port and the same 1.78 intake valve

honestly, to bolt on stock e7's I personally dont think its worth it

ported e7's with bigger valves can make more power, an old racing buddy made 300rwhp with e7 powerheads, f303, 1 5/8 longtubes, performer rpm intake, 650 dp; through a t-5 and 3.73 gears

to just bolt on a set of used stock heads, in most cases the regular gt40's are your best bet.

the problem with porting stock heads yourself, by the time you put bigger valves in and have the machine work dont to do so, you will be $500 deep, been there done that. to pay someone to do the porting, you are talking another $500 for quality work

I did a set of 66 289 heads, home ported(ALOT!) 1.94 1.6 valves, with the same 1 5/8 headers, a used e303 w/1.7's, edelbrock performer efi intake, 70mm tb, I used to beat up on my friends 300rwhp e7 combo all of the time! LoL he came close, but he never beat me! not even once! and I was 200lbs heavier!

so for that $500 plus cost of the heads, we'll say $100, (providing port work is free) your $600 deep, ($1100 for professional port job)you can find a much better head like an edelbrock or a windsor jr from a private seller with low miles for $6-700. $800 or so you can pick up a tfs or an afr
                  now I beat up alot of aluminum headed cars with my ported 289 heads, but they ran on love! LoL and with the same attention to detail, I could have made more power with a better head

as far as cam goes, anything bigger than a stock HO, you guys are gonna need torque converters, best money you will ever spend! I have no idea why people are so afraid of converters, the only thing I can figure is theyve never owned a good converter.

as far as 1/4 mile stuff, you may not ever race it, but you are looking for more performance, thats why you are changing parts. if you dont want more power- if it aint broke, dont fix it! LOL

Comment

Originally posted by jayh View Post
                    as far as cam goes, anything bigger than a stock HO, you guys are gonna need torque converters, best money you will ever spend! I have no idea why people are so afraid of converters, the only thing I can figure is theyve never owned a good converter.
                    That, and when you're piecing something together and don't know the benefits of a good converter, even $150 for a B&M TorkMaster seems extravagant when you already have a functioning stock converter. Never mind the $500-plus I'm getting the idea real converters cost. And then people get scared by people saying there'll be cooling problems since slippage generates heat, so they finally throw up their hands, either buy a TorkMaster or keep the stock converter, and wonder why the combo doesn't pull that hard (probably like me).

BTW, turbo2256 (don't know how well you know him) once recommended E7 heads ported by his buddy in Canton, E303 cam, Victor Jr. intake, 600(?)cfm Holley of some description (the guy ended up buying several and is now running Commander CFI on a car that was originally SEFI), and a Torkmaster 2000 converter.

Comment

like I said, stock e7's, I dont think its worth it

they can work nicely with larger valve and good port work, but it depends how much money you can up with that for before it makes any sense financially

Ive seen turbo2256 around, he is generally pretty intelligent about engines, I know he was in engineering at ford, but he hasnt done a whole lot of testing at the track to know what works.
                      a torkmaster 2000 is a piece of garbage, you might as well flush your money down the toilet

the problem with converters is there is alot of hearsay and myths, alot of people jump to conclusions when they dont have any experience, they ASSume to much. yes a cheap piece a crap converter can have issues, but a decent converter is nothing to be afraid of, best money you will ever spend honestly

If I had a choice between gear or converter, I would take converter every time

Comment

Originally posted by jayh View Post
                        If I had a choice between gear or converter, I would take converter every time
                        Interesting!

Comment

I have a stock HO cam with 444 lift, and a stock 95 cobra cam 479 lift. 30 shipped for the HO, 40 shipped for the cobra

does this just mean the valves are open longer, or open further? please explain for the mechanically retarded

EDIT: cool. I got it now.

I have no idea if the 95 cobra cam would work in my engine. If it'll be better than the other one somehow, do tell
                          Last edited by 1990LTD; 07-29-2010, 04:51 PM.
                          sigpic

Comment

I just wish I had money for a converter. I would have a 3k in my car tomorrow lol. In my opinion these cars need a converter no matter what cam they have, even the stock H.O. cam needs one IMO. The stock converter in these cars SUCK.

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
                            Big plans

Comment

I'm going to a 3k stall with my new trans. No reason not to.
                              1989 Grand Marquis LS
                              flat black, 650 double pumper, random cam, hei, stealth intake, Police front springs, Wagon rear, Police rear bar, wagon front ,exploder wheels, 205/60-15 fronts 275/60-15 rears, 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" offroad x pipe, Eclipse front bucket seats, Custom floor shifter, 4.10 gears, aluminum driveshaft and daily driven. 16.77@83mph

Comment

aww, you make me sad. I'm jealous now.

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
                                Big plans

Comment

Working...
                                X