No announcement yet.

Ideas to lose weight and look stock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gears knocked 0.7 off the e.t. For me and 0.2 off the 60ft. But the exhaust had no effect on the 60ft. I want this crap pile to 60ft so bad I can taste it, but then both my cars died Arther same time and forced me to spend my convertor and valve body money on towing bills and fixing the marq so I would have somethingto drive arrg lol.

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
    Big plans

Comment

Originally posted by 1980c10 View Post
      Gears knocked 0.7 off the e.t. For me and 0.2 off the 60ft. But the exhaust had no effect on the 60ft. I want this crap pile to 60ft so bad I can taste it, but then both my cars died Arther same time and forced me to spend my convertor and valve body money on towing bills and fixing the marq so I would have somethingto drive arrg lol.

Of course not, from stop to the 60ft you are at a low RPM, and the exhaust isn't going to give any low end gains.

I dropped .3 going to a full 2.5" exhaust on a lopo, which dropped me to 16.03. The next mod was the HO conversion (well, heads, cam, injectors, and matching ecm) which dropped .5 and got me down to 15.45.

2200rpm stall, 3.73s, no ac, no smog, weight reduction, 26" tires.

The best 60ft that car EVER pulled was a 2.18

For a good 60 you need lots of torque, good gears- and not much weight to try and move.

Pulling as much of the sound deadening out will save a good amount. Manual seat tracks, bumper supports.... Surprisingly the sound deadening removal didn't make my car much louder at all.
      Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
        Me, I've been interested for a couple of years now in how much weight could be saved by fiddling with the rear door on a wagon. Sure, the extra rear side glass and stuff has some weight that make a wagon heavier than its equivalently-equipped sedan counterpart, but that door is HEAVY, and I figure it probably doesn't really have to be.
        Actually, if you're drag racing it, that 'ballast' is in a really good spot.

Comment

Originally posted by DuceAnAHalf View Post
          Big Blue Tank did that on his car. Cut the tub out of the back, and just replace it with a piece of .032" aluminum.
          Uslydawg also did that to his wagon. Looks sweet too.

Comment

Cut out steel sheet metal out of floors, etc. Replace with aluminum.

Comment

your 10.3 in the eighth means you should run about a 16.07 in the quarter.

a stock new edge mustang gt will run high 13's in the quarter with a good driver.

you need a bottle and be able to launch well.
              Last edited by rick99601; 10-02-2010, 12:45 AM.
              1988 MGM GS - Preferred Equipment Package 172A; InstaClear

1980 Lincoln Continental Coupe
              1994 MGM GS Montigua
              2005 F150 Lariat Scab 4x4 3.73 LS
              2002 Mustang GT Coupe

Comment

No, these car just need gears, alot of converter, and a nice tranny to make them boogie at the strip. IMO of course. I believe my car will drop 0.5 or better with a good converter and a nice valve body.

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
                Big plans

Comment

The stock trans shifts at 4200 in an unmodified state. The stock AOD behind an HO had a different governer which got you about 4800 before it shifted. Those 600 odd rpm do cost you some speed since the HO motor still makes power at that rpm.
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

what time are you h.o. guys running in the quarter?
                    1988 MGM GS - Preferred Equipment Package 172A; InstaClear

1980 Lincoln Continental Coupe
                    1994 MGM GS Montigua
                    2005 F150 Lariat Scab 4x4 3.73 LS
                    2002 Mustang GT Coupe

Comment

Never ran the 1/4 but my 1/8 of 9.99 converts to about 15.60. But that was with a slippy 1-2 shift. It will likely improve a bit with the new tranny.

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
                      Big plans

Comment

Originally posted by rick99601 View Post
                        what time are you h.o. guys running in the quarter?

14.86@92mph

Comment

Originally posted by mrltd View Post
                          14.86@92mph
                          Show off im just jealous actually haha

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
                          Big plans

Comment

Ditch that front sway bar at the track for better weight transfer and less weight. Bring gas cans and only put in enough gas for one run. Gallon of gas weighs 3-5 pounds or something. You could ice down the intake between runs. Dueceanahalf's bumper mods are bitchin... Aluminum radiator weighs less. Air down the tires in the back, pump em up in the front.

Comment

Originally posted by 1980c10 View Post
                              "The 351 swap is next on my list..."
                              Me too.

'90 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
                              Baseline 5.0L numbers totally stock, 123 rwhp, 239 rwtq
                              5.4L swap coming soon.

Comment

Originally posted by ford man View Post
                                Ditch that front sway bar at the track for better weight transfer and less weight. Bring gas cans and only put in enough gas for one run. Gallon of gas weighs 3-5 pounds or something. You could ice down the intake between runs. Dueceanahalf's bumper mods are bitchin... Aluminum radiator weighs less. Air down the tires in the back, pump em up in the front.
                                Air down street tires?
                                2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Working...
                                X