No announcement yet.

V-10 in a Wagon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No one else here has had the stones to do a serious engine swap (besides the 351, or 460).

You should definitely go for it, whether its the optimal set-up or not. Most of the time, the ball busters are the dreamers who always talk, and never get anything done. I'd rather do something and learn, then talk about theory and never do anything.

There is a time and a place for doing the best of everything. But there is also alot to be said for doing something instead of always talking about it.

I surely hope you decide to go through with it, and post about the process. Good luck.
    **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
    **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
    **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
    **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

dont put a GM engine in a ford lol. get er done mang. and im not putting your project down, if thats what you thought

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
      1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
      1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
      2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
      2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

Nope,I did'nt think that in the least!...just kiddin'about that swap...Its going into the backseat of a tubeframe buggie someday!...and the v10 is so much of a torq monster that the wagon won't be a slouch,not a racecar,but it pushes an excursion and such so well that in a wagon,at half the weight its gonna scoot!....this is not a weekend project by no means!...hope I can upload more pictures soon,before the snow flies!...I know its only oct. but I've seen it snow on halloween before...LOL!....WingFoot....

Comment

DOOO IIIIIITTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :headbang:
          Parts Car (Scrapped ) - Vicky - 1987 LTD Crown Victoria: 17x8 Gunmetal Gray Coys C-5 wheels, 235/55-17 Falken Ziex ZE-502 tires. 79 LTD Grille, Taillights, and Turn Signals, Blue LED Dash Lights, PI Rear Sway Bar, 140 MPH Speedometer, Dual Exhaust w/ Mustang Headers.
          New Project: Vicky II - 1981 Ford LTD: 61,XXX miles, virtually rust free. Currently For Sale

Comment

Nike!!! (just do it)

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
            Originally posted by gadget73
            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
            Originally posted by dmccaig
            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by dragginwaggin View Post
              ok so im confused the 460 wont work in my squire ...
              A 460 will most certainly work and work well in your 'Squire...

Comment

Originally posted by wingfootwagon View Post
                Also,I have not been on line for a few weeks,but I see by the Tags that I've been branded an Idiot for saying the "H" word...
                I thought I had found a good site to ask some questions about My project,but I see that I'm wasting a few folks time...Not that I'm thin skinned,but if I wanted to be called an "Idiot",I'd call up the x-wife for that!...
                Originally posted by wingfootwagon View Post
                the v10 is so much of a torq monster that the wagon won't be a slouch,not a racecar,but it pushes an excursion and such so well that in a wagon,at half the weight its gonna scoot!....this is not a weekend project by no means!...hope I can upload more pictures soon,before the snow flies!...
                There is the premise that just because you can does not mean that you should. Unique does not mean that something is useful. It is possible to get that V10 to work, but it will not do anything particularly well once you get it to work except for burn excessive fuel in addition to the excessive money you will spend to get it bolted in and functioning properly.
                If the reason you are doing this is because you will be the only one on the block to have one and different is what you are truly after, then go for it. Realize that this is no budget build. The price of the original engine is irrelevant compared to the metric ass-tonne of money you will be spending on this project to do it right. When you are done, you will have a 14 second car at best without a power adder. I know you said that you do not want a race car, but you need to realize that you will have an expensive pooch.
                If this is what you really want to do and the satisfaction of doing it is enough, then go for it. Don't take offense at the comments you will receive as most people expect performance from a costly project.

Comment

It don't matter what anyone else says, I dont care if you want to hook 12 5HP lawnmower motors together and stuff them in the back of the wagon with a drive belt to rear end, LMFAO!!!! If that is what you want to do then I say GO FOR IT and to HELL with the nay-sayers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and that is all I got to say about that
                  '88' MGM wagon (mine and my sons toy)
                  "60" chrysler New Yorker (my project)
                  "78" Chevy 1 Ton P/U (yard horse)
                  "01" Ford Explorer (wifes DD)
                  "93" Chevy Suburban (my DD)

Comment

Once done and considering you have the right suspension setup you will be able to tow anything you want! Period!
                    You could even out tow an Excursion. Now that's saying something.

Comment

Originally posted by Neal 97 250 View Post
                      Once done and considering you have the right suspension setup you will be able to tow anything you want! Period!
                      You could even out tow an Excursion. Now that's saying something.
                      Just because you have enough engine to tow something does not mean you automatically have a monster tow rig. You are limited by the mass of a Crown Vic and the factory brakes are not up to it. The frame was not engineered to take that kind of stress on a regular basis either. A Crown Vic will never be an Excursion although it is fine to tow 5000 lbs with coolers and brakes.

Comment

rear adjustable gas shocks and a weight distributing hitch on my grandpa's 85-87 (can't remember what year exactly) Grand Marquis company car with the stock 302 and the "towing gears" (I think 3.73, but I am guessing on this one) and it would pull a 7K pound float with 1K-2K tongue weight (depending on the build that year) without issue. This wasn't just at low speeds since we traveled to a nearby city a couple of times to enter contests (55-60mph for ~30 miles). The stock brakes may not be up to all the time towing stuff... but they're definitely no slouch either... at least on the boxes.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                        Originally posted by gadget73
                        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                        Originally posted by dmccaig
                        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by slymer View Post
                          rear adjustable gas shocks and a weight distributing hitch on my grandpa's 85-87 (can't remember what year exactly) Grand Marquis company car with the stock 302 and the "towing gears" (I think 3.73, but I am guessing on this one) and it would pull a 7K pound float with 1K-2K tongue weight (depending on the build that year) without issue. This wasn't just at low speeds since we traveled to a nearby city a couple of times to enter contests (55-60mph for ~30 miles). The stock brakes may not be up to all the time towing stuff... but they're definitely no slouch either... at least on the boxes.
                          By any definition, towing 30 miles is a short trip. I hope you are kidding about the 2000# tongue weight.
                          What you got away with pulling a float in a parade and nobody died has nothing to do with practical limits on towing weight.

Comment

I think 30 miles is a long trip! Not as long as 300 miles, but 300 mile trips just suck.
                            2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Alright, back on topic.

That thing would be a torque monster. I contemplated a V10 build for my truck, but there's no performance cams or anything. Makes me sad
                              1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
                              Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Ok i am just going to shut my mouth and leave it alone!!!!! I dont want to be the asshole here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:evil::evil:
                                '88' MGM wagon (mine and my sons toy)
                                "60" chrysler New Yorker (my project)
                                "78" Chevy 1 Ton P/U (yard horse)
                                "01" Ford Explorer (wifes DD)
                                "93" Chevy Suburban (my DD)

Comment

Working...
                                X