Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My motor has a riddle for ya's...head issues...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by merc91 View Post
    more then likely a crack, it sucks having this problem with my daily driver to college and work so it was pretty much a no-choicer to give the stop leak a whirl since i couldn't go more than 15 minutes of driving before all my coolant was pushed out and a big overheat.

Tomorrow I'm going to re-torque the long head bolts and hopefully i'll be able to get something on them and if not i'll have to get something sorted out and get the heads magnafluxed i guess.
    The torque on those ARP head bolts are like 70 or 75 ftlbs iirc. Torquing them more isn't going to compensate for a crack.

Comment

I had originally torqued the long bolts down to 75 with the moly paste they supplied and I was hoping to see that they loosened a little after heat cycles but no dice, all clicked at 75 lbs still so the heads are comming off in 2 weeks, and while i'm at it I might try my luck with the comp xe-258 cam and some new valve springs.
      Finally have an on the books porting/custom fab business!
      HO bottom end,GT40Ps,cut/welded/ported upper+lower GT40 intakes,Comp XE258 cam,MS3X megasquirt computer,8 LS2 coils,2 dry systems + a 3rd wet,3 core rad w fans..1100hp Lentech WR AOD,custom 4" aluminum/moly Dshaft,custom rear/back half chassis adjustable 4link,wilwood 4 piston,moser 9" axles,locker, M/T 30x12's,4 staged fuel pumps,100lbs sound insulation,power/remote everything,2000W sound.4480lbs. 4.5s 0-60,12.8 1/4

Comment

Originally posted by merc91 View Post
        I had originally torqued the long bolts down to 75 with the moly paste they supplied and I was hoping to see that they loosened a little after heat cycles but no dice, all clicked at 75 lbs still so the heads are comming off in 2 weeks, and while i'm at it I might try my luck with the comp xe-258 cam and some new valve springs.
        I know that Zoomie somewhere is spl00ging in his pants from that cam selection.

Comment

My new ported GT40P heads and comp springs will be in next week allong with the comp xe258 and ford racing 1.6 roller rockers. Throwing it all on that week.
          HO bottom end,GT40Ps,cut/welded/ported upper+lower GT40 intakes,Comp XE258 cam,MS3X megasquirt computer,8 LS2 coils,2 dry systems + a 3rd wet,3 core rad w fans..1100hp Lentech WR AOD,custom 4" aluminum/moly Dshaft,custom rear/back half chassis adjustable 4link,wilwood 4 piston,moser 9" axles,locker, M/T 30x12's,4 staged fuel pumps,100lbs sound insulation,power/remote everything,2000W sound.4480lbs. 4.5s 0-60,12.8 1/4

Comment

bought new heads?
            sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

yeh new heads, I've had enough screwing around swapping head gaskets and doing rebuilds trying to find the problem which is probly a crack so i'm buying a set from promar engine so i'm guarenteed a great set of problem free heads to slap on. Could be the current "P" heads just need re-surfacing even though they checked out fine for warpage, or a small crack repair...if a shop can make them check out i'll sell em I guess with my 1.7 RR's.

I have seen enough hype about this 258XE cam so I guess someone's gotta see how it works or fits with the PTV clearances... So i'm going to give it a whirl.

Comment

if a shop can work some magic and guarantee they'll work....you got a sale.
                sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

Working...
                X