No announcement yet.

best readily available 302 to start with

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree mine was not a cooler just a way to reposition the filter forward facing and down.
    It is an easy swap. Remove the adapter from the explorer engine and swap it with the "nipple" from a lopo engine. I used a nipple extractor but it could probably be done using a rag wrapped around it and a pair of pliers. It was not overly tight. I applied some blue loc-tite to keep it from backing out when doing oil changes.

I have pics but not on this computer. If no one has any I will post them later.
    I hope this helps.

Comment

I really REALLY like how these look

What's the story on those intakes?

sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

Once everything is said and done with that set up pictured, you're likely to be looking at $750+. That set up is definitely good for high-rpm or big cubic inches, probably overkill for most mild street builds. There is also no provision for exhaust gas for the EGR valve...although that's not a real big deal, as it doesn't hurt drivability if the EGR position sensor is still plugged in.

If you search for deals, you can build a nice little motor for $2k.

A basic rebuild with some flat-top pistons w/reliefs, some cleaned up GT40P heads and an explorer intake will make good fun power with an E-cam or similar. A convertor with a 2200-2400rpm stall speed would make that set-up really get up and go. There are a million different combinations that will give you the kick you're looking for...regardless, I'd figure in a torque convertor and gears...unless you build a 351w with a long runner intake...then you'll have the bottom end torque of a freight train.

Good luck,
        Don
        '85 CV coupe- 351W, T5-Z, FAST Ez-Efi, shorty headers, 2.5" duals with knock off flowmasters, 2.5" Impala tails, seriously worked GT-40 irons, Comp 265DEH cam, 1.7rr's, Mallory HyFire 6A, Taylor ThunderVolt 50 10.4mm wires, 75mm t/b, 3G alt swap, 140mph PI speedo, PI rear sway bar, '00 PI booster/MC, 95-97 front spindles, '99 front hub bearings/brakes, '92-'94 front upper control arms/ball-joints, 3.73's with rebuilt traction-lok, '09 PI rear disc swap, '96 Mustang GT wheels with 235/55R17's.

Comment

I'm just in love with the look of those intakes. If it's not suited to what I want (it's a driving car and will always be) then oh well.

I don't know if I've asked in here or not, but what manifolds will let me keep EFI and a 351w? the bigger bottom end starting out is alluring.
          sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

You can get almost every 302 fuel injected intake in a 351 version.

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
            Big plans

Comment

actually, the hell with a 351...it would be nice and all but my 302 is perfectly good as a starting point for something.

how long are you talking when you say long runner intake? i'm looking at shiny trick flow and edelbrock stuff
              sigpic

Comment

For an EFI 351W, Trickflow R-Series intake is the way to go. Combine that with whatever cylinder heads you plan to use and you will have your EFI 351W. When (if) I get the funds for an engine build, I will do exactly that with Trickflow TW 170 heads on a standard 351W bottom end.

For a 5.0L based motor, I would look into a Trickflow Track Heat top end kit. That looks like it would work really well with your 331.

Packman

Comment

Don't forget that the tranny may be in need of a rebuild, possibly with performance parts depending on how much power the engine in putting out... Just trying to get you thinking about the other aspects of this build that may need to be done and additional cost.
                  Last edited by Brown_Muscle; 11-03-2010, 02:12 PM.
                  -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

good call, I was wondering about the transmission. It does fine right now with something approaching 200hp but I don't know how well it'd hold up with more.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 1990LTD View Post
                      good call, I was wondering about the transmission. It does fine right now with something approaching 200hp but I don't know how well it'd hold up with more.

another reason I'm gonna stick with my 302 (not going to stroke it, too much damn work) and slap h/c/i on it, i'll be able to spend more on the rest of the driveline. i'd like to replace everything from the transmission all the way to the wheels right now it's up in the air what parts i will use for the motor, still need some thoughts on that.

gears will be 3.73s and i want to keep overdrive for the highway, i'm going to do a complete rear axle swap from a disc brake car eventually. are there aftermarket aods i should be looking into?
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 1990LTD View Post
                        another reason I'm gonna stick with my 302 (not going to stroke it, too much damn work) and slap h/c/i on it, i'll be able to spend more on the rest of the driveline. i'd like to replace everything from the transmission all the way to the wheels right now it's up in the air what parts i will use for the motor, still need some thoughts on that.

gears will be 3.73s and i want to keep overdrive for the highway, i'm going to do a complete rear axle swap from a disc brake car eventually. are there aftermarket aods i should be looking into?
                        http://www.ford-aod.com/
                        89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

thanks zoomie

i have the opportunity to get a set of e7s with all of the hardware (rockers springs etc) on there...i was going to put 1.7s on whatever heads i ended up buying.

what do you think? i could grab these cheap and try them out...who knows, i might be satisfied with a complete ho motor and some gears
                          sigpic

Comment

If they are off the car you should grind down the exhaust bumps before you install them.

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
                            Big plans

Comment

I was actually going to mention the thermactor bumps...how far down to grind them? I'll plug up the holes in the back for the smog nonsense.
                              Last edited by 1990LTD; 11-04-2010, 06:57 PM.
                              sigpic

Comment

Just grind them down flat

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
                                Big plans

Comment

Working...
                                X